RS232

Changing marriage status after applying N-400

22 posts in this topic

Hi everybody

My citizenship interview was on April17 2012 and I passed the exam.

But I didn't get my oath ceremony letter yet and I'm getting worried about it. The reason is that when I applied my N-400 still my divorce file was pending so I had to write my wife's information. after a few month I received my final divorce evidence from court. I had my divorce paper with me in my interview but the officer didn't ask anything about it and I forgot to show him.

Now I think in review of my file they may figured out that I'm divorced but in my N-400 file i'm still married. Should I call them now and tell them about my divorce or I should wait until i hear from them.

I appreciate any suggestion/advice.

(I should add I'm applying based on non marriage- 5 years)

Edited by RS232

IR-1

engaged: 12/2/1999

married: 10/4/2000

we decided to move to USA after about 5 years.

applied for I-130: 10/20/2005

I-130 approved : 2/27/2006

Case Compeleted in NVC: 6/24/2006

Inteview Date: 2/12/2007

visa in hand: 2/13/2007

POE Date: 3/13/2007

GC in hand: 4/5/2007

Separated: 4/18/2008

Applied for Divorce!: 7/4/2011

N-400 sent: 12/14/2011

Received Divorce evidence: 2/20/2012

Interview passed: 04/17/2012

Oath Ceremony: 06/20/2012

The End!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi everybody

But I didn't get my oath ceremony letter yet and I'm getting worried about it. The reason is that when I applied my N-400 still my divorce file was pending so I had to write my wife's information. after a few month I received my final divorce evidence from court. I had my divorce paper with me in my interview but the officer didn't ask anything about it and I forgot to show him.

Now I think in review of my file they may figured out that I'm divorced but in my N-400 file i'm still married. Should I call them now and tell them about my divorce or I should wait until i hear from them.

As far as I know the based on marriage to USC application is the 3 years rule. I'm not sure but I think for 5 years it doesn't matter.

Wait for more responses that can help you about the issue of not telling the officer about your divorce.

Good luck.

Caroline (Brazil) and Phil (USA)

yPnbm4.png

2003i9szfhw0aa.jpg

f2MWm5.png

View my Timeline

Hi everybody

Since you are not applying based on marriage you should be fine. However, I would schedule an infopass appointment ASAP and let USCIS know that you forgot to update your marriage status during the interview. They will update your file accordingly and if you are lucky, you might actually get your oath notice at the same time as well.

I tried to schedule an inforpass appointment, it asks me to select one of these 4 options.

1-Order from Immigration Court - If you were directed to us for processing based on an order from the Immigration Judge. You must bring all documents required in the post order instructions given to you by the court.

2-Case Processing Appointment - If you received a notice to go to your local office for further case processing.

3-EAD inquiry appointment - If your I-765 employment authorization application has been pending for more than 90 days.

4-Case Services follow-up appointment - If it has been over 45 days since you contacted NCSC and have not received a response to your inquiry. You must bring the Service Request ID Number related to your inquiry to the appointment.

But it seems non of those items are related to my case. Any more advice?

Thank you very much for your help

IR-1

The End!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Okay just call to ask for the status on your oath ceremony letter. Do not volunteer new information about the divorce unless asked. It can take 45 days to receive the oath letter after an interview (if you call, you will hear 60-90 days).

Hi my friends,

I just checked my online status and saw my oath ceremony is scheduled.

I'm so happy now :)

Thank you all for your help

IR-1

The End!

Hi my friends,

I just checked my online status and saw my oath ceremony is scheduled.

I'm so happy now :)

Thank you all for your help

Still, you need to let them know about your marital status because that status will be showing up on your certificate of naturalization. Hence, I would still schedule an infopass and correct this before the oath so that you do not run into any problems afterwards, because you had to disclose your new marital status at the interview. This can cause you big headaches afterwards if you do not correct this now.

--

Edited by nwctzn

Okay just call to ask for the status on your oath ceremony letter. Do not volunteer new information about the divorce unless asked. It can take 45 days to receive the oath letter after an interview (if you call, you will hear 60-90 days).

He needs to let USCIS know about the divorce because the marital status is being printed on the certificate of naturalization.

In fact, at the back of the oath notice, they ask if you have been married or divorced after your interview. In this case, the OP was already divorced at the interview but failed to inform the officer to update his N-400 form. So he needs to do the update now before the oath so that USCIS has all the correct information and can issue his certificate of naturalization properly.

Please do not give advice for hiding information from the USCIS.

--

Edited by nwctzn

Still, you need to let them know about your marital status because that status will be showing up on your certificate of naturalization. Hence, I would still schedule an infopass and correct this before the oath so that you do not run into any problems afterwards, because you had to disclose your new marital status at the interview. This can cause you big headaches afterwards if you do not correct this now.

--

I tried to schedule an infopass but non of the options are related to my case. Should I call them or even go to immigration office to find a solution?

IR-1

The End!

I tried to schedule an infopass but non of the options are related to my case. Should I call them or even go to immigration office to find a solution?

You can schedule with the "Case Services follow-up appointment" It is fine that you do not have a Service Request ID Number. Just take your interview notice with you and ask to speak to an agent about your case.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I went with this option:

I picked:

Case Services follow-up appointment - If it has been over 45 days since you contacted NCSC and have not received a response to your inquiry. You must bring the Service Request ID Number related to your inquiry to the appointment.

and it went very well. Pick the closest one for your case, or maybe it would be the same one I picked. Good luck.

Caroline (Brazil) and Phil (USA)

yPnbm4.png

2003i9szfhw0aa.jpg

f2MWm5.png

View my Timeline

I scheduled InfoPass for next Monday. I feel much better if I let them know my new marriage status.

Thank you very much for your help without you I didn't know anything about InfoPass.

IR-1

The End!

I scheduled InfoPass for next Monday. I feel much better if I let them know my new marriage status.

Thank you very much for your help without you I didn't know anything about InfoPass.

You are doing the right thing. As I indicated earlier, your marital status is printed on your certificate of naturalization. All information on the certificate must be correct at the date of issuance including your marital status.

Please report back once you have your infopass so that current and future applicants can benefit from your experience.

Best luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

That is actually question number 1 on the rear of your oath letter when you receive it. If divorced in your case, since your interview, just says to bring in your divorce papers.

Recall one woman whose husband had died the day before her oath ceremony, but was based on the three year marriage, was told, sorry, and she has to wait another two years.

Good question as to what they will say when not applying through marriage. But what can they say if your application is NOT based on marriage?

That is actually question number 1 on the rear of your oath letter when you receive it. If divorced in your case, since your interview, just says to bring in your divorce papers.

Recall one woman whose husband had died the day before her oath ceremony, but was based on the three year marriage, was told, sorry, and she has to wait another two years.

Good question as to what they will say when not applying through marriage. But what can they say if your application is NOT based on marriage?

The OP was already divorced at the interview but failed to inform the officer. So he cannot check the back of the oath notice that he got divorced after the interview. He needs to correct this before the oath ceremony, that's why I suggested that he should take an infopass appointment ASAP.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.