calliopejen

Processing time for advance parole

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I am a US citizen and my fiance is from Spain, and we are trying to figure out whether it will be possible to do a honeymoon outside of the US given his immigration situation. He's currently on an OPT that is valid through October, but his F-1 visa itself expires in ten days, so he will be unable to leave the US during that period. (He just realized this issue about the inability to reenter...) Our wedding is scheduled for August 17, and we been hoping to travel both before and after the wedding because I will be between jobs at that point. I see at http://www.visajourney.com/content/times that the current wait time for the California service center for an I-131 is three months. Does that number tend to be about right/an overstatement/an understatement?

Right now we are debating just doing a courthouse marriage ASAP (in addition to our big August wedding) so that we can get all of the paperwork out the door and try for advance parole as soon as possible. Would this be worth the hassle? Maybe traveling internationally before the wedding is a lost cause, but do you have any sense of the odds of having advance parole before, say, August 22?

Thanks for all your help!

If you were to get married and file your stuff within the next week you'd most likely get it by August 22nd. Traveling beforehand is probably not going to work since he can't re-enter on the F-1 intending to immigrate.

OUR TIMELINE

I am the USC, husband is adjusting from B2.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

08.06.2010 - Sent off I-485
08.25.2010 - NOA hard copies received (x4), case status available online: 765, 131, 130.
10.15.2010 - RFE received: need 2 additional photos for AP.
10.18.2010 - RFE response sent certified mail
10.21.2010 - Service request placed for biometrics
10.25.2010 - RFE received per USCIS
10.26.2010 - Text/email received - AP approved!
10.28.2010 - Biometrics appointment received, dated 10/22 - set for 11/19 @ 3:00 PM
11.01.2010 - Successful biometrics walk-in @ 9:45 AM; EAD card sent for production text/email @ 2:47 PM! I-485 case status now available online.
11.04.2010 - Text/Email (2nd) - EAD card sent for production
11.08.2010 - Text/Email (3rd) - EAD approved
11.10.2010 - EAD received
12.11.2010 - Interview letter received - 01.13.11
01.13.2011 - Interview - no decision on the spot
01.24.2011 - Approved! Card production ordered!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

11.02.2012 - Mailed I-751 packet to VSC
11.08.2012 - Checks cashed
11.10.2012 - NOA1 received, dated 11.06.2012
11.17.2012 - Biometrics letter received for 12.05.2012
11.23.2012 - Successful early biometrics walk-in

05.03.2013 - Approved! Card production ordered!

CITIZENSHIP

Filing in November 2013

Go to Hawaii for honeymoon! There are enough beautiful places in U.S. and after you get your GC you can go wherever you want.

Also, I wouldn't rush to apply just because of honeymoon. Make sure that all paperwork is in order, mistakes can cause RFE, which will delay your process.

3/23/2012 (Day 0) - I-130, I-485 and I-765 sent
4/02/2012 (Day 11) - Hard Copy of NOA1 in the mail of I-130, I-485 and I-765
4/04/2012 (Day 13) - Received a letter for biometrics appointment for 4/20/2012.
4/20/2012 (Day 29) - Biometrics done
5/03/2012 (Day 42) - Status online changed to interview, scheduled for June 11
5/16/2012 (Day 55) - EAD Card Production, online status update
5/24/2012 (Day 63) - EAD Card in the mail
6/11/2012 (Day 83) - Interview, approved on the spot

05/19/2014 (Day 0) - Mailed I-751

05/27/2014 (Day 8) - Received NOA1

Alternately, do you know if traveling to US territories like Guam, American Samoa, or Puerto Rico presents a problem for re-entry with an expired F-1? (I would think not...)

This is from the Guam visitor's page: U.S. citizens are required to possess a U.S. passport. In general, citizens of most other countries must have a valid passport with a U.S. visa. http://www.visitguam.org/Runtime/VisaRequirements.aspx

You'll have to check on the other destinations yourself, but I suspect they're the same.

3 months is correct, but keep in mind that your case will not be at the California Service Center. It will be at the National Benefits Center.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Thanks all for your help! I may schedule travel in the United States to avoid the risk of having to cancel last-minute. On the other hand, we may tie the knot in advance of our big wedding ceremony, because my fiance is now concerned about his ability to travel to Spain to record/conduct music there later (a good chunk of his business is in Spain). So look forward to more postings from me as I navigate this process! :)

Thanks all for your help! I may schedule travel in the United States to avoid the risk of having to cancel last-minute. On the other hand, we may tie the knot in advance of our big wedding ceremony, because my fiance is now concerned about his ability to travel to Spain to record/conduct music there later (a good chunk of his business is in Spain). So look forward to more postings from me as I navigate this process! :)

Honestly, if you aren't too sentimental, go get married at the courthouse tomorrow, submit I-130/I-485/I-765/I-131 ASAP, and worry about the big wedding and honeymoon plans once you have AP/EAD.

You can sometimes get AP on an expedited basis if it's urgent. Not sure if losing a big chunk of business or missing a concert would count, but you could always try.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.