mr111

Visa Interview Unsuccessful. Please Help

33 posts in this topic

You are missing the point here, entirely. The consulate has the last word on granting a visa. If they interpret the law in a certain way, then you need to deal with it. I would take the suggestion of contacting the Japanese embassy in Ukraine and asking for their help. You might ask if there is a way to expediate the police report.

Be very respectful and courteous in your correspondence. Explain your situation fully to the Japanese consulate and wait for an answer. Apparently in the eyes of our consular staff, two six month periods in another country add up to one year regardless of the period of separation.

So, see about putting in a change for her flight (should cost about $200) and get moving on this last piece of documentation.

I will tell you that is sounds like the staff in Kiev is getting a lot tougher on issuing of visas. Someone on their staff has a beef with Ukrainians for some reason. My stepson just had an interview on Wednesday of this week and a woman staffer told him he would have to return to Ukraine in 90 days. That made no sense at all since he was attending the interview to come to America to stay. Apparently the other person (a man) just ignored what she said and accepted the application. My stepson should get his passport and visa some time next week.

So, get 'er done!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
You are missing the point here, entirely. The consulate has the last word on granting a visa. If they interpret the law in a certain way, then you need to deal with it. I would take the suggestion of contacting the Japanese embassy in Ukraine and asking for their help. You might ask if there is a way to expediate the police report.

Be very respectful and courteous in your correspondence. Explain your situation fully to the Japanese consulate and wait for an answer. Apparently in the eyes of our consular staff, two six month periods in another country add up to one year regardless of the period of separation.

So, see about putting in a change for her flight (should cost about $200) and get moving on this last piece of documentation.

I will tell you that is sounds like the staff in Kiev is getting a lot tougher on issuing of visas. Someone on their staff has a beef with Ukrainians for some reason. My stepson just had an interview on Wednesday of this week and a woman staffer told him he would have to return to Ukraine in 90 days. That made no sense at all since he was attending the interview to come to America to stay. Apparently the other person (a man) just ignored what she said and accepted the application. My stepson should get his passport and visa some time next week.

So, get 'er done!

So while I might agree that his chances of being successful might lie somewheres between a snowballs chance in he!! and 1 in 10, there is always that chance. I do not think the true issue is the combining of the two stints and then comparing it to the threshold, the issue is the combination of the two stints appears to be less than the threshold.

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Unfortunate Update.

By no means was I going to challenge the embassy in any way. The only option was to pleed for cooperation, nothing else.

Since doing the math, however, it actually turned out to be slightly more than 365 days. It actually turned out to be 369 days. The period between trips, incidently, was 8 months. Very unfortunate. I think I had some chance when I thought that the sum was still less than one year. Now, however, I will merely be able to ask for some leeway with the rules and hopefully I'll get a little compassion. I'll leave it up to my fiance to try the same in her conversations with the Japanese embassy.

Once again I'd like to thanks everyone here for helping.

Mark

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.