rosajo

Husband did not work in 2011, but does now

5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

We're getting ready to file our I-130, for the second time. I had a green card between 1998 and 2009.

Back then we only had to submit paychecks to prove his income met the guidelines--he didn't have income the year prior to us filing the I-130 as he was a high school student in Sweden, but looking through some threads here it seems that the 2011 tax year is considered current income. Problem is he wasn't working at all during that year as he was going to college here in Sweden. He filed a tax return for 2010 during which time he worked for the first six months. He did work a full year in 2009 and several years before that.

How will this effect our chances of him being the sole sponsor of me? For all the years we lived together in the US, we made above poverty level (and I'm sure above 125% too). Will NVC consider our circumstances?

Thanks.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I'm in the same situation, going to submit the I-130 this month. worked the last 4 months of 2011, and thus have very little income to show on my 2011 tax return. I currently do work and make around 200% above the poverty level here in Hawaii. Would i have to submit some recent pay stub in addition to my tax return? I was in school full time from august 2010 - present, should i include transcipts or a letter explaining this? not sure how to approach this when they/if ask. trying to avoid them denying my applicationf for request of information.

I hope someone with knowledge about this responds because I am in the same situation too! I lived with my husband in his country for a year (didn't work, only volunteered) and returned here for a family emergency involving my mom's husband last year and it became clear I need to be here with my mom to give her support so my husband and I decided to start the process to move here so I can be close to her. I just started working last fall so my 2011 income alone does not make the poverty line but my salary itself is 20k over the poverty line. Wondering if I should have a joint sponsor or not.

If anyone has advice on this for us, please respond! Thank you!

I'm in the same situation, going to submit the I-130 this month. worked the last 4 months of 2011, and thus have very little income to show on my 2011 tax return. I currently do work and make around 200% above the poverty level here in Hawaii. Would i have to submit some recent pay stub in addition to my tax return? I was in school full time from august 2010 - present, should i include transcipts or a letter explaining this? not sure how to approach this when they/if ask. trying to avoid them denying my applicationf for request of information.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Austria
Timeline

We have just run into this, my wife (the USC) worked and lived abroad in 2011, so her tax return for 2011 showed no US income.

As a result of this, the consulate where I'll have my interview shortly requires me to bring evidence of 60,000$ worth of assets with me to the interview, or an affidavit of joint sponsorship. Best of luck!

02/14/2012 - I130 sent to Chicago Lockbox
02/17/2012 - I130 arrived at Chicago Lockbox
02/23/2012 - NOA1 email received, case forwarded to CA service center
02/29/2012 - NOA1 hardcopy received
02/29/2012 - NOA2 on USCIS website
03/06/2012 - NOA2 hardcopy received
03/21/2012 - NVC package received
03/21/2012 - DS3032 sent by email/I864 fee paid
03/25/2012 - I-864 sent
04/01/2012 - DS230 sent
04/04/2012 - I-864 accepted
04/10/2012 - RFE for typo (argh), DS230 pt1 resent
04/25/2012 - NVC case complete
05/03/2012 - Interview date assigned (June 4th)
06/04/2012 - Interview - Approved!
06/09/2012 - PoE San Francisco

05/09/2014 - I751 sent to CA serivce center

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Oh, what a bummer I didn't read this till now. My husband just filed the I-130 and pretty much wasted 420 dollars. There's no way we can find a joint sponsor, nor do we have $60,000 worth of assets:(.

Well, I suppose I should ask first if your wife is currently employed? My husband is employed, so perhaps this makes a difference. I think I read elsewhere on this forum that proving current income in the form of employment letter is just as valid, but perhaps not.

We have just run into this, my wife (the USC) worked and lived abroad in 2011, so her tax return for 2011 showed no US income.

As a result of this, the consulate where I'll have my interview shortly requires me to bring evidence of 60,000$ worth of assets with me to the interview, or an affidavit of joint sponsorship. Best of luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.