FrancElsie

AP needed or not????

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

My wife has her US Permanent Resident card and SSN already. We are in the process of getting her son's (Age 10) Permanent Resident card but have not received it yet. (We applied at different times even though it cost a little more to do it that way.)

My question is: Do we need to apply for AP for them to visit Costa Rica for a few weeks? Should we just wait until our son has his Permanent Resident card and SSN? I'm pretty sure that AP is not needed for my wife but I am "unsure" about son.

Thanks,

Frank

PS The reason I'm asking is for financial reasons...don't want to pay the $360 AP Processing Fee if all it takes is a few more weeks of waiting for the boy's Permanent Resident card...another week or two for the SSN.

12.31.2009 I-129F Visa Petition rec'd at CSC

01.04.2010 I-797 NOA Receipt Notice WAC1006xxxxxx

03.02.2010 Request for Evidence: CSC wanted copy of previous divorce decree. Arrived @ CSC 03.12.1010

03.16.2010 I-797 NOA-2 Approved and sent from California Service Center 71 Days from NOA-1

03.16.2010 USCIS sending notification of the approved application/petition to the National Visa Center.

03.23.2010 NVC sent file to U.S. Embassy in San Jose, Costa Rica! SNJ2010XXXXXX

03.26.2010 Received NVC letter (hard copy) dated March 24, 2010 in the mail.

03.27.2010 File arrived @ U.S. Embassy.

04.07.2010 Embassy called for Elsie to come and get Packet #3. She will pick up April 13th.

04.08.2010 Embassy e-mailed Packet #3 to me today.

04.15.2010 Interview scheduled for 30 April 2010

04.30.2010 Visas approved...pick up everything on 5/4/2010 @ 3pm.

05.05.2010 Traveling together to the USA...POE Denver, Colorado

07.28.2010 Married today...end to a long journey with more to come!!

Your wife is a LPR and her GC gives her the right to travel.

Your son has, I assume (correct if wrong) a pending I-485 application. If he leaves the country without AP and before his GC is approved, he will abandon his process and he will be stuck outside the country. The AP is free when filed based on a pending I-485, however, so your concern about the money is unfounded. It takes 3 months or so to process, so if he is only a few weeks away from getting his GC (by your best estimate) then it's best to wait.

A SSN has absolutely nothing to do with travel or his rights, so there is no need to wait for a SSN for him to travel.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Your wife is a LPR and her GC gives her the right to travel.

Your son has, I assume (correct if wrong) a pending I-485 application. If he leaves the country without AP and before his GC is approved, he will abandon his process and he will be stuck outside the country. The AP is free when filed based on a pending I-485, however, so your concern about the money is unfounded. It takes 3 months or so to process, so if he is only a few weeks away from getting his GC (by your best estimate) then it's best to wait.

A SSN has absolutely nothing to do with travel or his rights, so there is no need to wait for a SSN for him to travel.

:thumbs:

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.