cup1981

Emailed the Embassy, now what happens?

7 posts in this topic

Hey all. You probably don't remember me, but I posted a little bit last year about my wife and I submitting our I-130 about a year in advance to her 2 year HRR running out to avoid the law requiring going through a U.S.-based service center.

Well, here we are, at the en of our stay and I an FINALLY getting things rolling. I emailed the embassy and told them to start processing the I-130 and in the same day they emailed me back saying to get all of my documents in order and email them two weeks before the HRR runs out, which expires June 28th, to schedule our interview. So, I scheduled my wife's medical exam for the 4th and will email them on the 14th, as all of my documents have been ready to go for a long time :).

So what does this mean? Does this mean that the I-130 was accepted and we are through the NOA2 with just the interview left to go? I know that DCF is fast in Indonesia, but that is ridiculously fast if that is truly it lol.

One other question to ease my wife's mind... We have been married for over two years now, have a 1-year-old son, I have been in Indonesia with her for her entire 2 years and we have loads of documentation on our relationship. How tough are they going to be on her at the interview? I told her that I assume with our relationship that it would likely be more of a formality than anything. Of course, she will only believe it if someone other than me says it lol ;).

So, can anyone enlighten me on these topics???

Below is the email we got from the Embassy:

Dear Mr. XXX,

Thank you for your email.

To continue the process of an immigrant visa, please have beneficiary completing the following documents:

1. Passport must be valid for 8 months or more

2. DS-230

3. Birth Certificate

4. Name change Certificate (if applicable from Petitioner or Beneficiary)

5. Marriage Certificate

6. Death or Divorce Decree (if applicable from Petitioner or Beneficiary)

7. Military discharge, arrest, prison, court records; U.S. immigration documents (if applicable from Petitioner or Beneficiary)

8. Police Certificate

Each applicant aged 16 or older must have police clearance from any country where the applicant resided for one year or more.

To learn on how to get police certificates by country, please click the drop down menu at http://travel.state.gov/visa/fees/fees_3272.html.

Please note Indonesian Police Certificate is not required

9. Original Affidavit of Support (Form I-864) from the Petitioner along with supporting evidence:

a. One year U.S. income tax returns 1040 and W-2 (copies are acceptable)

b. Bank statements or proof of assets

c. Letter of employment or job offer

10. Two identical passport size photographs of each applicant

11. Medical Examination result

12. Fee of USD 230.00 paid in IDR at current exchange rates. If the fee hasn’t been paid in the U.S., fee can be pay at the Consular cashier.

For each document, the applicant must bring:

· Originals or original certified copies by the issuing office

· Photocopies of the original documents

· All documents should be accompanied by English translations

Once completed, please send an email to jakiv@state.gov to request for an interview date.

Regards,

IMMIGRANT VISA UNIT

Embassy of the United States of America I Jalan Medan Merdeka Selatan #5 I Jakarta 10110 I Indonesia

Email: JakIV@state.gov I Fax +62 (21) 385-7189 I internet: http://jakarta.usembassy.gov

03/26/2010 - Got married

06/28/2010 - Left for Indonesia

06/29/2010 - Arrived in Jakarta, Indonesia and drove to Tasikmalaya

05/25/2011 - Set up an appointment for my sons registration of overseas birth for June 20th

05/28/2011 - Filled out and printed all documents needed (I think). Didn't sign any of them since some don't need signed until you are told to sign. Neatly organized them in folders.

06/05/2011 - The Embassy advised us that they will "pend" my wife's I-130, so we can file 1 year prior to departure to avoid mailing to Chicago.

06/20/2011 - Filed my wife's I-130 at the Consular in Jakarta (1 year pending from here).

04/09/2012 - Emailed embassy to start I-130 process.

04/10/2012 - Received email to collect documents for IV and call to schedule an interview

04/11/2012 - Scheduled medical exam for June 4, 2012

To be continued...

event.png

event.png

event.png

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

to avoid the law requiring going through a U.S.-based service center.

The section of the quote I put in bold is a grossly incorrect statement. No laws were made or changed last August with regards to filing petitions where the petitioner lives overseas and the country the petitioner lives in has no USCIS field office. All that was implemented was a PROCEDURAL change that states petitions must be submitted to the Chicago lockbox if there is no USCIS field office in a country.

I posted this mainly for the benefit of others who may read this

:ot2:

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Yeah, I mis-typed that. We did it then to avoid having to wait for it to go through the U.S., not for us to have to go to the U.S., sorry about that lol. But can anyone answer my question as to what step this puts us on????

03/26/2010 - Got married

05/25/2011 - Set up an appointment for my sons registration of overseas birth for June 20th

05/28/2011 - Filled out and printed all documents needed (I think). Didn't sign any of them since some don't need signed until you are told to sign. Neatly organized them in folders.

06/05/2011 - The Embassy advised us that they will "pend" my wife's I-130, so we can file 1 year prior to departure to avoid mailing to Chicago.

06/20/2011 - Filed my wife's I-130 at the Consular in Jakarta (1 year pending from here).

04/10/2012 - Received email to collect documents for IV and call to schedule an interview

To be continued...

event.png

event.png

event.png

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Yeah, I mis-typed that. We did it then to avoid having to wait for it to go through the U.S., not for us to have to go to the U.S., sorry about that lol. But can anyone answer my question as to what step this puts us on????

My answers below:

So what does this mean? Does this mean that the I-130 was accepted and we are through the NOA2 with just the interview left to go? I know that DCF is fast in Indonesia, but that is ridiculously fast if that is truly it lol.

Yes, you are at the interview phase.

One other question to ease my wife's mind... We have been married for over two years now, have a 1-year-old son, I have been in Indonesia with her for her entire 2 years and we have loads of documentation on our relationship. How tough are they going to be on her at the interview? I told her that I assume with our relationship that it would likely be more of a formality than anything. Of course, she will only believe it if someone other than me says it lol ;).

"How tough" the interview will be can only be answered by members who have been through the Embassy in Jakarta before. I will say that the interview should not be viewed as "more of a formality" because that is akin to taking things for granted and this a process where nothing can be taken for granted. You have gathered your evidence and I will surmise that you and your wife have prepared well for the interview, good luck!

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

their email is very clear to me.

They are telling you exactly what to do with their office, and what they want.

What's the dealio? smells like 'local intake', all the way round. There is no mention on the I-130, so they are processing her stuff at the IV stage for old school dcf. Yer lucky..

Go forth, submit all to the IV Unit in Jakarta, exactly the list they gave you in that email.

YES and YES and YES.

GoGoGadget FillOutThePaperwork!

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

their email is very clear to me.

They are telling you exactly what to do with their office, and what they want.

What's the dealio? smells like 'local intake', all the way round. There is no mention on the I-130, so they are processing her stuff at the IV stage for old school dcf. Yer lucky..

Go forth, submit all to the IV Unit in Jakarta, exactly the list they gave you in that email.

YES and YES and YES.

GoGoGadget FillOutThePaperwork!

Yeah, I spoke kindly with the embassy about wanting to avoid the US-route by pending her documents until after her 2 year HRR was over to avoid. I thought they would say "no way" but they were very receptive of it and obviously stayed true to their word lol. I assume I am the last person that is doing a DCF in Indonesia, so I figure that's why everything went so quickly lol.

All of the paperwork is filled out, sans the medical, which it scheduled for June 4th. My dad is our co-sponsor and sent me his I-864, W-2s and 1040 earlier this week, along with my W-2s (I have my 1040). We also have our relationship well documented and my wife will do fine at the interview, she is just paranoid that she might forget something :). If they doubt our marriage, we can pull out our ultimate weapon, out 1-year-4-month old son lol ;).

Wooo, I love DCF in Indonesia, too bad it's gone now lol.

Edited by cup1981

03/26/2010 - Got married

To be continued...

event.png

event.png

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

ya, you were/are 'the last man standing'

or

the 'last man out'

Cleanup after yerself once yer gone, aye? (sorry, that's an old joke)

Good Luck with everything !!

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.