Gracenp2

My Birth Certificate Required?? Proof of Bonifide Marriage??

6 posts in this topic

My questions are:

1)I just filed my I-130 and sent in a copy of my Passport, Citizenship Certificate. However i did not include a copy of my Birth Certificate in which i had to procured recently from the DR. I figured since I sent in the above, this should be sufficient... any insight on this will be great.

2) I only sent in a picture of us two of our wedding. Will this be sufficient? We do not have a bank account together or own anything together. RFE i am assuming will be forthcoming..

copy of long version USC birth certificate is required when filing i-130

I definately submitted a copy of the Marriage Certificate.. wondering if it will be requested? can i just simply mail it in when i get a NOA?

Filed: Timeline

copy of long version USC birth certificate is required when filing i-130

I definately submitted a copy of the Marriage Certificate.. wondering if it will be requested? can i just simply mail it in when i get a NOA?

No. This is incorrect. The USC does not need to submit a copy of the birth certificate. It can be provided as proof of US citizenship, but your passport does the same exact job. If you submitted a photocopy of each page of your passport, no birth certificate necessary.

If you didn't include a copy of each page of the passport, you may get an REF. In this case, a copy of the birth certificate or every page of the passport or naturalization certificate is required. Don't send in anything until you get an RFE.

As for pictures. It's at the discretion of the adjudicator what is sufficient and what's not. You may get an RFE for more proof of bona fide, you may not.

Edited by jaejayC

No. This is incorrect. The USC does not need to submit a copy of the birth certificate. It can be provided as proof of US citizenship, but your passport does the same exact job. If you submitted a photocopy of each page of your passport, no birth certificate necessary.

If you didn't include a copy of each page of the passport, you may get an REF. In this case, a copy of the birth certificate or every page of the passport or naturalization certificate is required. Don't send in anything until you get an RFE.

Thanks J.. I did send it a copy of the my naturalization certificate.. and I will wait for an RFE if it is requested..

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.