Keith&Helen

What to wear for the interview

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

It's probably not that critical but I am going to take the bus and don't want to pack more than I have to. I don't know if the interview in Montreal will take place in an office or it's just a window. Does it matter what I wear? I am thinking wearing jeans and a shirt, I've seen discussions where people say that you should wear business casual or more formal attire.

Thanks!

Edited by Keith&Helen

back in august 2010, we dressed casually. it was hot and we had to walk around a lot. i know some people get super dressed up, but even the people working at the embassy aren't anything more than business casual.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Nothing special, casual will do! At my Naturalization interview in VA, holey moley saw people in cut off jeans, muscle shirts, but who knows, they could be very poor. You will go up to a window a few times, but the interview will be in a small room! You on 1 side and the interviewer on the other side of the glass! Very quick and 99% of the time very painless.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

blink.gif

flames did interview in the grand commonwealth of verginyah, so i'm sure most of these soon to be amuricans just wanted to look the part!

(i'm amurican. and live in verginyah. leave my mullet alone.)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

flames did interview in the grand commonwealth of verginyah, so i'm sure most of these soon to be amuricans just wanted to look the part!

(i'm amurican. and live in verginyah. leave my mullet alone.)

The waiting room in the in the Merrifield office is rather large!! Just odd to see people dressed in suits, then to the opposite end of the spectrum. I guess if they are dressed like that, they either come from the boonies or are not well off. Not for me to judge. As they say dress for success.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

back in august 2010, we dressed casually. it was hot and we had to walk around a lot. i know some people get super dressed up, but even the people working at the embassy aren't anything more than business casual.

The woman interviewing me was in a velour track suit. I will never forget that...

I went business casual, but that's how I felt most comfortable. Like the other said, it doesn't matter. Some people will show up in suits, others in... Velour track suits.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I wore a dark jeans, red scarf and black blazer and read shoes (not too high) .. my fiance wore tie, so suit ahaha.. But, honestly, wear what fits you better in a comfortable way. They don;t even look at you only other people that are there to be interviewed.

Good luck

Cam & Ellie

I wore a 3/4 length black v-neck shirt, over a white collared 3/4 length blouse, dark denim jeans and black wedge shoes... Most people were dressed like business casual, others looked like they just rolled out of bed!

Removal of Conditions

[03-24-2014] ROC paperwork sent.

[03-25-2014] NOA1.

[04-21-2014] Biometrics

[06-17-2014] Card in production

[06-25-2014] Card in HAND

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I wore what I used to wear to work as a Manager. I guess you could call it business casual - leggings, tunic, baggy sweater and some knit boots.

Just wear what you're comfortable in. As long as its clean I'm really sure it doesn't matter!

Edit: I also wore a big scarf. Now that I think about it less is better: they made me take off my scarf and sweater because it was bulky I guess. That added some more time to the process.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I wore a black sundress and a cardigan. They looked pretty dishevelled, though. I woudln't worry as long as you look clean and "normal." :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.