mmuste01

Place of Marriage Question

8 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I mailed the I-130. My wife is very concerned about the interview at the embassy because the place of marriage typed on the marriage certificate says we were married in the office of the registrar (civil wedding) at 9:00 am. But really, the ceremony was held at a restaurant in another section of metro Manila at 11:00 am. So the I-130 i submitted says the restaurant is the place of marriage. I don't really see this as a problem and refuse to lie to the immigration authorities for fear she could be banned from the US. The 2 locations are a few miles apart and both in metro manila. The government minister that performed the ceremony told my wife to tell them we only had the reception at the restaurant. However, the photos show the wedding at the restaurant.

so... does anyone see this as a problem?

thanks

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

Hi! I don't think the actual place is of upmost concern for them, but instead the city and country. We also had the vows read in one place and the celebration in another and I only put the name of the city and country on the I-130. I don't think it will be a problem :)

Good luck!

Thanks, but this is a little different because we had the vows read and the celebration in a different location than the marriage certificate states that we were married in. The guy who married us has his office in paranaque City, Metro Manila but our wedding took place at another suburb of Manila. Actually right across the street from the US embassy. So it was all in Metro manila but in different Cities. Does the I-130 even ever get to the embassy? or do they just deal with the 230?

Thanks again

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

I am not sure if the I-130 makes it all the way to the Embassy since we aren't at that step yet, but they do advise that you bring your copy of the I-130 with you when you go to the interview (the copy you make of the WHOLE packet before you send it). As for the confusion between where the vows were read and where the ceremony was celebrated, I don't imagine it will be a big deal. And if you make it through the USCIS without a problem I cannot really forsee the Embassy worrying about it. If push comes to shove and they specifically ask you about it at the Embassy interview, you can explain honestly and say you were legally married in one place and celebrated it at another. All is Manilla - it's not like you changed countries or anything. I doubt a change of suburbs of Manilla will be enough to create a problem.

Let me know how it goes!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I am not sure if the I-130 makes it all the way to the Embassy since we aren't at that step yet, but they do advise that you bring your copy of the I-130 with you when you go to the interview (the copy you make of the WHOLE packet before you send it). As for the confusion between where the vows were read and where the ceremony was celebrated, I don't imagine it will be a big deal. And if you make it through the USCIS without a problem I cannot really forsee the Embassy worrying about it. If push comes to shove and they specifically ask you about it at the Embassy interview, you can explain honestly and say you were legally married in one place and celebrated it at another. All is Manilla - it's not like you changed countries or anything. I doubt a change of suburbs of Manilla will be enough to create a problem.

Let me know how it goes!

YES........... the I-130 and everything else you sent to USCIS in your original petition does go to the embassy from the NVC. The embassy has every little piece of paper you originally submitted........

event.png

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hi! I don't think the actual place is of upmost concern for them, but instead the city and country. We also had the vows read in one place and the celebration in another and I only put the name of the city and country on the I-130. I don't think it will be a problem :)

Good luck!

Yes, by "place of marriage" they mean City and Country, not what address or location within the city. How did you fill in an entire address in that little space? Anyway, I doubt it will be a problem.

Sept 9, 2011: NOA1

March 16, 2012: NOA2

April 10, 2012: NVC Case Number Assigned, AOS Invoice Received

April 11, 2012: OPTIN for EP with DS-3032 sent, AOS bill paid

April 12, 2012: AOS Package Sent

April 17, 2012: IV Bill invoiced, paid

April 19, 2012: IV package sent

April 20, 2012: Checklist for AOS asking for letter of employment, response sent

April 23, 2012: Letter approving DS-230, False checklist for AOS checklist

May 1, 2012: Appointment Letter Received (for May 23rd)

May 22, 2012: Interview canceled pending further medical tests

July 15, 2012: New Appointment letter Received

August 1, 2012: Interview, Approved

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.