17 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hello everyone I am currently talking with a lady from Tashkent Uzbekistan, And am interested in any info about travelling there as opposed to russia / ukraine. as it is close to afghanistan, what with all the political things and occasional kidnapping of americans in countries over that way. thanks for any advice on this.

*The Family Rules*

Always tell the truth , Always argue naked,of course not in the childrens presence.and Don't go to bed angry.

Too much t.v is bad, too much reading is good! Family comes first, always be there.

Hands are for hugging not for hitting! Be thankful for what you have.. don't envy others

Have fun, be kind, ask first, no fussing, no whining., Husband adore her always- Wife love him forever

Sing silly, dance crazy, hug often, snuggle daily ,use your manners- Yes, please. No, thank you.

Use nice words, ignore dirty words Share everything except bad ideas

Say your prayers, thank God for this family.

Always be nice to strangers cuz they just might be a friend you have'nt met yet..!

I would read this government link http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1057.html You will need a visa.

Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

39tlivle4.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hello everyone I am currently talking with a lady from Tashkent Uzbekistan, And am interested in any info about travelling there as opposed to russia / ukraine. as it is close to afghanistan, what with all the political things and occasional kidnapping of americans in countries over that way. thanks for any advice on this.

Uzbeks are not Russians, they are not slaviks, they are turkmen. Different culture/language. I cannot say a lot about them in terms of women or having them for wives. They are generally considered of inferior stock, not to be racist, just sayin' it like it is. Kazaks, Uzbeks, Tajiks. A lot of them are illegals in Ukraine and Russia, particularly in Moscow. Moscow residents have made a pretty good business of fake marriages to them so they can live in Moscow (in Russia you need special permission to live in Moscow, St Petersburg and some other cities) Alla has translated several marriage/divorce certificates which were obviously marriages of convenience. Pretty well accepted practice. We had a lot of them, and Moldovans, for laborers in Ukraine. The tradesmen...plumbers, welders, steel workers, electricians, carpenters, were all Ukrainians or Russians. Usually the engineers were Russian, or foreign, some Ukrainians as engineers, never an Uzbek as an engineer. The laborers moved piles of stone by hand, with shovels. Backfilled foundations with shovels. Just brutal work, and they worked long and hard for little money and volunteered to work extra, late into the night, moving materials and things, all by hand.

They are pretty openly racist there, it is NOT the USA.

On the other hand there ARE ethnic Russians and Ukrainians living there also. What is her background?

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

I would read this government link http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1057.html You will need a visa.

Um, yes, Thanks. Interesting read.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Uzbeks are not Russians, they are not slaviks, they are turkmen. Different culture/language. I cannot say a lot about them in terms of women or having them for wives. They are generally considered of inferior stock, not to be racist, just sayin' it like it is. Kazaks, Uzbeks, Tajiks. A lot of them are illegals in Ukraine and Russia, particularly in Moscow. Moscow residents have made a pretty good business of fake marriages to them so they can live in Moscow (in Russia you need special permission to live in Moscow, St Petersburg and some other cities) Alla has translated several marriage/divorce certificates which were obviously marriages of convenience. Pretty well accepted practice. We had a lot of them, and Moldovans, for laborers in Ukraine. The tradesmen...plumbers, welders, steel workers, electricians, carpenters, were all Ukrainians or Russians. Usually the engineers were Russian, or foreign, some Ukrainians as engineers, never an Uzbek as an engineer. The laborers moved piles of stone by hand, with shovels. Backfilled foundations with shovels. Just brutal work, and they worked long and hard for little money and volunteered to work extra, late into the night, moving materials and things, all by hand.

They are pretty openly racist there, it is NOT the USA.

On the other hand there ARE ethnic Russians and Ukrainians living there also. What is her background?

She is good in english, fluent in russian, basic in french and german. I havent found out all details yet but it seems like she is Russian or Ukrainian. she went there for a husband and it did not work out. she has an 11 yr old son and 17 yr old son.

*The Family Rules*

Always tell the truth , Always argue naked,of course not in the childrens presence.and Don't go to bed angry.

Too much t.v is bad, too much reading is good! Family comes first, always be there.

Hands are for hugging not for hitting! Be thankful for what you have.. don't envy others

Have fun, be kind, ask first, no fussing, no whining., Husband adore her always- Wife love him forever

Sing silly, dance crazy, hug often, snuggle daily ,use your manners- Yes, please. No, thank you.

Always be nice to strangers cuz they just might be a friend you have'nt met yet..!

Timeline

Going to Uzbekistan for a husband?????

thats where she lives, she looks Ukrainian / Russian to me.

Edited by highlander08

*The Family Rules*

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Eh, I don't want to sound evil but I'm having a very, very, very difficult time, after living in Russia for long enough, believing that a Russian/Ukrainian woman would go to Uzbekistan for a husband. People here generally don't view them in a good light. IMO you should research this woman a bit more... nothing's impossible but it is rather strange... In my experience they're good people but folks here are pretty racist against certain groups (Uzbeks being one of those groups) and quite open about it. And "she looks Russian/Ukranian"... doesn't mean much, people here come in a variety of appearances. Hopefully you're Skyping and not just chatting with her, it's easier to get to know someone that way.

But to answer your question, apparently it's not very safe, but enough that common sense and trying to not be an obvious tourist should make it safe enough. Have a close friend there who got very ill there and the lack of medical care made it a lot worse, and this was because he drank some water or something. He says people tried to scam him pretty much always. So, don't drink the water, and don't eat food sold on streets. But he said that he never felt unsafe in the sense that he thought he'd get mugged or attacked.

Edited by AmyWrites

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

My wife was originally from Kyrgyzstan, not far from Tashkent. My wife and her family are Russians. Long story, but grandma ended up there when fleeing from the Nazi attack and blockade of Leningrad and grandpa was "relocated" there by Stalin.

As for travel there, my wife says it is not a good time to go there but you will not likely be targeted. We have several friends here in our city that are from Tashkent and they travel back every year and don't think there is any extreme danger.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Timeline

My wife was originally from Kyrgyzstan, not far from Tashkent. My wife and her family are Russians. Long story, but grandma ended up there when fleeing from the Nazi attack and blockade of Leningrad and grandpa was "relocated" there by Stalin.

As for travel there, my wife says it is not a good time to go there but you will not likely be targeted. We have several friends here in our city that are from Tashkent and they travel back every year and don't think there is any extreme danger.

My MIL was born in that area, her family had been evacuated, but they moved back after the war.

Other than mentioning that was the area her mother was born, Alla has not much else good to say about the area. Yeah, Amy, um, they are not so politically correct in that part of the world.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

thats where she lives, she looks Ukrainian / Russian to me.

And what Ukrainian/Russian woman in their right mind would move to Uzbekistan for a man? And I say that as an American who moved to Russia and not even for a dude. And shouldn't you, er, know her backstory and what country exactly she is from before you go and book plane tickets to Tashkent?

Edited by eekee

Первый блин комом.

Timeline

And what Ukrainian/Russian woman in their right mind would move to Uzbekistan for a man? And I say that as an American who moved to Russia and not even for a dude. And shouldn't you, er, know her backstory and what country exactly she is from before you go and book plane tickets to Tashkent?

i havent booked any tickets for anything just getting advance advice.

*The Family Rules*

Timeline

Ok I'll admit im a bit naieve on history in other parts of the world,, but why the Russian feelings towards the people in uzbekistan, I see they are mongolian ?

*The Family Rules*

Timeline

Ok I'll admit im a bit naieve on history in other parts of the world,, but why the Russian feelings towards the people in uzbekistan, I see they are mongolian ?

People from that part of the world are viewed similarly to illegal migrant workers in the US. They do menial labor or run little grocery stores. There is also a lot of anxiety surrounding their overwhelming presence in Russia, since they, being Muslim, reproduce at a much higher rate than the ethnic Russian population. Also, often just the men come, work, and send money to their families, so they are seen as a threat to women in terms of rape/sexual assault. That's why it seems weird that a Russian/Ukrainian women would move to Uzbekistan for a man; Russian women are taught to AVOID them and view them as lesser.

Edited by eekee

Первый блин комом.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

People from that part of the world are viewed similarly to illegal migrant workers in the US. They do menial labor or run little grocery stores. There is also a lot of anxiety surrounding their overwhelming presence in Russia, since they, being Muslim, reproduce at a much higher rate than the ethnic Russian population. Also, often just the men come, work, and send money to their families, so they are seen as a threat to women in terms of rape/sexual assault. That's why it seems weird that a Russian/Ukrainian women would move to Uzbekistan for a man; Russian women are taught to AVOID them and view them as lesser.

Let me second that. My wife, who grew up in Soviet times, got her advanced degree in Tashkent. It was different in the 1970s, when the Soviet Union was whole. There may have been racism even then, but it may not have been so pronounced. But now when we are in a city strange to us, like Moscow or St Petersburg, and she sees someone from Central Asia, she will take us out of our way to avoid that person if we aren't in a crowd.

5-15-2002 Met, by chance, while I traveled on business

3-15-2005 I-129F
9-18-2005 Visa in hand
11-23-2005 She arrives in USA
1-18-2006 She returns to Russia, engaged but not married

11-10-2006 We got married!

2-12-2007 I-130 sent by Express mail to NSC
2-26-2007 I-129F sent by Express mail to Chicago lock box
6-25-2007 Both NOA2s in hand; notice date 6-15-2007
9-17-2007 K3 visa in hand
11-12-2007 POE Atlanta

8-14-2008 AOS packet sent
9-13-2008 biometrics
1-30-2009 AOS interview
2-12-2009 10-yr Green Card arrives in mail

2-11-2014 US Citizenship ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.