lynndy38

Visit to marry visa UK

11 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

First of all appologies for posting this in the wrong topic.

I had no idea where to put it and since after this I'll be applying for the CR1 for me to go and join my husband in the States I thought I'd at least start here.

My fiance and I want to marry ASAP in Scotland. But we have no idea what we require to do regarding the visit to marry visa he will need.The UK border agency website is hit and miss and says theres noone to call to ask exactly what to do!!!!

Does anyone know what documents he'd need?

Would it be passport,passport photo's,evidence of his work?a few payslips etc?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

event.png"]My link[/url]

[/url]"]My link[/url]ur[l=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

event.png

[/url]

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

we wanted to do same but then changed plan. I rang my local registrar office and asked about procedure. I can't remember exactly but i was told that we can marry while he is in uk on tourist visa. but he has to be present in country for some days(20 days if i rememberproperly) and to prove this you can get a letter from you neighbour or any friend that he has been in this country for that many days( they do not arrival stamp on passport)and rest of the procedure was same as for any other UK residents. and after that if u decide to stay in UK then your fiance has to go back and apply for spouse visa. but yes u guys can marry while on tourist visa.

Hi guys,

First of all appologies for posting this in the wrong topic.

I had no idea where to put it and since after this I'll be applying for the CR1 for me to go and join my husband in the States I thought I'd at least start here.

My fiance and I want to marry ASAP in Scotland. But we have no idea what we require to do regarding the visit to marry visa he will need.The UK border agency website is hit and miss and says theres noone to call to ask exactly what to do!!!!

Does anyone know what documents he'd need?

Would it be passport,passport photo's,evidence of his work?a few payslips etc?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My husband and I did it this way. Although we got married in England not Scotland but the first part is the same.

Step One: Apply for marriage visit visa

To get married in the UK your fiance will need to apply for this visa. The steps are laid out here:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/visiting/marriage-cp/

To come to the UK as a visitor for marriage or civil partnership, you must also be able to show that:

you are 18 or over;

you intend to visit the UK for no more than 6 months;

you intend to leave the UK at the end of your visit;

you intend to get married or register a civil partnership during your visit;

you have enough money to support and accommodate yourself without working or help from public funds, or you and any dependants will be supported and accommodated by relatives or friends;

you can meet the cost of the return or onward journey; and

you are not in transit to a country outside the 'Common Travel Area' (Ireland, the UK, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands).

You must produce evidence, if asked, of the arrangements for your wedding or civil partnership ceremony in the UK.

You must also be able to show that, during your visit, you do not intend to:

take paid or unpaid employment, produce goods or provide services, including the selling of goods or services directly to members of the public;

do a course of study;

carry out the activities of a business visitor, a sports visitor or an entertainer visitor; or

receive private medical treatment.

You can read more about the supporting documents you might include in your visa application here: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/out-of-country/visitors.pdf

We sent things like:

A letter from me explaining that we were getting married, he was returning to the US after the wedding and we would be applying for me to emigrate over there, that I would cover any financial costs that were needed for the trip if necessary and my fiance would not be working etc.

A copy of my recent bank statement showing I had a regular income and the funds to cover the trip

A letter from my husband's employer in the US saying he was granted leave to come to the UK for the wedding and was expected back on a certain date.

A copy of our wedding invitation / a copy of the booking for the venue

Of course we also sent the main ones like his passport, a passport photo, copy of his divorce doc etc.

It took 5 days for the visa to come back - very quick compared to the US system.

Step 2:

Contact the marrying authority in Scotland for their rules on what needs to be done. If you are getting married in a church or a civil ceremony if can be different.

I can't help with that step as the rules for England were different - on the plus side I actually think the Scottish rules are easier. In England the US partner had to be resident for 7 days to 'give notice' for the civil ceremony which meant an extra trip for my husband.

Lynne's answer was the one i was going to suggest.

If you are still unsure, find an immigration lawyer who offers a free consultation and they will tell you exactly what to do. Make sure you write down what questions you want to ask and keep a pen and paper handy. They wont give too much detail away unless you ask during these consultations. They want the custom! But it is perfectly do-able by yourselves.

CR-1
07-01-2011 : Married

05-10-2012 : I-130 Mailed to London (DCF)
05-11-2012 : I-130 Delivered and signed for at Embassy
05-18-2012 : NOA1 Email
07-26-2012 : NOA2 (69 days)
07-28-2012 : NOA2 hard copy received
08-10-2012 : LND Case number received. Letter dated 08-07-2012
08-15-2012 : DS-230 and DS-2001 mailed to Embassy
08-23-2012 : Medical
09-14-2012 : Emailed Embassy and confirmed DS forms have finally been logged (After 29 days)
09-22-2012 : Interview letter received. Dated September 19th.
10-03-2012 : Interview - Approved!
NOA1 to Interview - 138 days.
10-10-2012 : Passport with Visa delivered two hours late at 8pm.
10-22-2012 : POE Philadelphia
11-15-2012 : Green Card received in mail
12-11-2012 : Went to the Social Security office to apply for SSN after it did not arrive.
12-15-2012 : SSN Arrived in 4 days.

05-09-2013 : Left USC Husband.
11-28-2013: Filed for divorce.

05-01-2014: Divorced

05-08-2014: Sent I-751 petition to VSC

05-13-2014: NOA1 (was not postmarked until 5/22/14 and received on 5/24/14)
06-18-2014: Biometrics in St. Albans, VT

11-21-2014: RFE. Received on 11/24/14.

01-22-2015: Interview notice mailed out. Received 1/26/15

02-12-2015: Interview in St Albans, VT - Approved during interview!

CRBA
08-16-2012 : CRBA in London for our daughter - Approved!
09-11-2012 : CRBA and Passport arrived.
09-25-2012 : SSN Arrived. Mailed from MD on 09-17-2012

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures to UK regional forum; topic is regarding marriage procedures in the UK.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

• 2 weeks later...

My fiancee got his visit to marry (VAF1F) visa sent to the british consulate and they got it friday 18 may 2012. We had already booked with the registrar and he already got his flight settled for July 20-29 with a wedding date on the 25th.

How long after they receive the application do they take to get his approval and get his visa and passport back to him? We have about 8 weeks until he has to leave and he is only staying those ten days and then leaving. Does anyone think we will have any trouble getting the approval back in time?

He is self employed and we showed that the finances for the trip were already spent and showed his business incorporation papers and tax returns so they will know he is going to leave after the wedding. We really could use some good news here as this has been difficult every step of the way.

Cheers!

event.png"]My link[/url]

[/url]"]My link[/url]ur[l=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

event.png

[/url]

Thats great news i hope he gets it in time! Im sure it will be quite fast. My husbands UK visa (different one though) took about 4 or 5 weeks to come back and that was outside of the immigration rules. So probably within a month he will have it all sorted :) Good luck!

CR-1
07-01-2011 : Married

05-10-2012 : I-130 Mailed to London (DCF)
05-11-2012 : I-130 Delivered and signed for at Embassy
05-18-2012 : NOA1 Email
07-26-2012 : NOA2 (69 days)
07-28-2012 : NOA2 hard copy received
08-10-2012 : LND Case number received. Letter dated 08-07-2012
08-15-2012 : DS-230 and DS-2001 mailed to Embassy
08-23-2012 : Medical
09-14-2012 : Emailed Embassy and confirmed DS forms have finally been logged (After 29 days)
09-22-2012 : Interview letter received. Dated September 19th.
10-03-2012 : Interview - Approved!
NOA1 to Interview - 138 days.
10-10-2012 : Passport with Visa delivered two hours late at 8pm.
10-22-2012 : POE Philadelphia
11-15-2012 : Green Card received in mail
12-11-2012 : Went to the Social Security office to apply for SSN after it did not arrive.
12-15-2012 : SSN Arrived in 4 days.

05-09-2013 : Left USC Husband.
11-28-2013: Filed for divorce.

05-01-2014: Divorced

05-08-2014: Sent I-751 petition to VSC

05-13-2014: NOA1 (was not postmarked until 5/22/14 and received on 5/24/14)
06-18-2014: Biometrics in St. Albans, VT

11-21-2014: RFE. Received on 11/24/14.

01-22-2015: Interview notice mailed out. Received 1/26/15

02-12-2015: Interview in St Albans, VT - Approved during interview!

CRBA
08-16-2012 : CRBA in London for our daughter - Approved!
09-11-2012 : CRBA and Passport arrived.
09-25-2012 : SSN Arrived. Mailed from MD on 09-17-2012

My fiancee got his visit to marry (VAF1F) visa sent to the british consulate and they got it friday 18 may 2012. We had already booked with the registrar and he already got his flight settled for July 20-29 with a wedding date on the 25th.

How long after they receive the application do they take to get his approval and get his visa and passport back to him? We have about 8 weeks until he has to leave and he is only staying those ten days and then leaving. Does anyone think we will have any trouble getting the approval back in time?

He is self employed and we showed that the finances for the trip were already spent and showed his business incorporation papers and tax returns so they will know he is going to leave after the wedding. We really could use some good news here as this has been difficult every step of the way.

Cheers!

It took less than 3 weeks for me to get mine back. It was here in plenty of time. David took care of the arrangements with the registrar via mail and email.It was really quick easy.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, sorry for the late reply, I just saw this! I live in Scotland (for the next few weeks) and we got married here. I wrote a blog post here about the process of applying for the visit visa and registering the marriage. Hope it helps!

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone,

This is a very useful thread...I wondered if I could ask a related question.

My fiancé and I live in US (he is American and I am a British grad student). We are hoping to marry in the UK in April 2013. We are in the process of applying for the VAF1F for him because we planned to submit our Notice to Marry in the UK in January 2013 (while we're visiting for xmas). Does anyone know if once my fiancé has been granted 'Marriage Visitor' status he can make multiple trips / come and go the UK? Ie. Can we give Notice in January, return to the States for February / March and then go back to the UK to marry in late March to marry in April? Can we do the Notice and the Wedding in two separate trips, or do they have to be done during one trip to the UK?

I hope this makes sense...any info would be welcome!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.