GirlWithAGerman

Advice for the impatient

7 posts in this topic

Hello visajourney members. So, it has been 70 days since we have official notice that the embassy received our papers and I wanted to throw out a question to those of you who've gone through this before or are in the same position.

Before I mailed out our papers they gave us an estimate of 60-90 days before approval. I have been applying for jobs back in California hoping we would be back there in June. Now that the deadline is approaching and we haven't heard anything we're starting to get nervous. We have most of our contracts ending this month and we will move in with my husband's family until we can leave. As most of you know airline tickets significantly go up in the summertime. But most importantly, I'm passing up really great job opportunities! This is the most frustrating part because one, we won't have jobs when we get there, and two, I had the opportunity to interview for one of my dream jobs! As if that wasn't enough, my dad just got out of surgery and isn't in the best health condition, so I'd like to get back to California so we can help him out.

How have you handled the wait and what advice do you have for us?

I want to call the embassy but I've seen all the warnings not to contact them until 90 days have passed. I don't want to step on toes, but it is really important for us to get through this process ASAP. I just thought there was a little more hope for the beginning of 60-90days and not the end. I also thought the WHOLE process would be over in this time, but we haven't had a Dr. appointment, interview, or even sent in the second set of papers.

I'm feeling pretty helpless right now. What should I do? :help:

GirlWithAGerman

Summer 2010 Summer Love in LA <3

Winter 2010 We're Engaged!

Spring 2011 Moved to Germany (The Plan is 2 Years)

Summer 2011 Eloped in Denmark.

Winter 2012 Sorry Germany... I Miss Home!!!

DCF

2.27.2012 I-130 Sent

3.16.2012 NOA 1

5.31.2012 NOA 2!! Approved!

6.4.2012 DS-230 Sent

6.6.2012 Checklist & Documents Sent

6.11.2012 Medical Appointment

6.14.2012 Requested More Documents -_-

6.18.2012 Sent More Documents

6.23.2012 Appointment letter received!

6.29.2012 Final Interview in Frankfurt!

7.4.2012 Happy 4th of July! The IV and super secret package are here!!!

7.29.2012 Flew Home!!!!!!!

8.6.2012 SSN Received

8.13.2012 Green Card Received

10.4.2012 Passed CA Driver's Test

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hello visajourney members. So, it has been 70 days since we have official notice that the embassy received our papers and I wanted to throw out a question to those of you who've gone through this before or are in the same position.

Before I mailed out our papers they gave us an estimate of 60-90 days before approval. I have been applying for jobs back in California hoping we would be back there in June. Now that the deadline is approaching and we haven't heard anything we're starting to get nervous. We have most of our contracts ending this month and we will move in with my husband's family until we can leave. As most of you know airline tickets significantly go up in the summertime. But most importantly, I'm passing up really great job opportunities! This is the most frustrating part because one, we won't have jobs when we get there, and two, I had the opportunity to interview for one of my dream jobs! As if that wasn't enough, my dad just got out of surgery and isn't in the best health condition, so I'd like to get back to California so we can help him out.

How have you handled the wait and what advice do you have for us?

I want to call the embassy but I've seen all the warnings not to contact them until 90 days have passed. I don't want to step on toes, but it is really important for us to get through this process ASAP. I just thought there was a little more hope for the beginning of 60-90days and not the end. I also thought the WHOLE process would be over in this time, but we haven't had a Dr. appointment, interview, or even sent in the second set of papers.

I'm feeling pretty helpless right now. What should I do? :help:

60 - 90 days is for petition approval, not visa issuance. Though DCF typically moves at a quicker pace than most.

A follow up call is ok to get a sense of where your file is. Daily/weekly calls is only going to up your anxiety without moving anything along (other than a possible ulcer).

Everyone wants to get through the process quickly. Your circumstances are just as compelling as many filers. Best advice is to be prepared, make sure you've got every piece of info needed, all the proof of US domicile and affidavit(s) of support so you have no delays.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

I have to come back home for a surgery and to graduate uni, and the embassy apparently gave me an RFE (I've never heard of an RFE for DCF outside of London!), so I finished submitting the documents they wanted today. The interview was so bad I'm thinking it'll take a long time for them to approve :-(

If this takes longer than August, I'll have to chose between getting a surgery or a semester of university. I have my tickets to fly back on August 13, the idea of it taking longer scares the ####### out of me. So I know how you feel.

I don't know how your embassy is but at least Moscow moves a lot faster than that. I'd call them see what's up if I were you. Also like the above poster said gather up all your evidence from now so once you get it approved you don't need to wait even longer to get more documents.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

GirlWithAGerman - what did you decide? Personally I've always found the dealings with US embassies/consulates in Germany pretty unproductive.......You're about a month further into the process than I am....

Do you have all the other things ready - police certificates, vaccination records, proof of domicile, tax returns? That might keep you somewhat occupied during the wait. Also, you could do a doctor's appointment at any time....it's only good for 6 months, but depending on where you are you might have to travel a bit, as there's only a handful of approved physicians in Germany.

Also, worst case scenario - and I hope you don't have to make this decision - but you could go back to the US without him, and he comes when the visa is issued. You're not obligated to enter the US with him, so if you really are missing out on jobs, have family matters, it may be worth considering. At any rate, don't envy you buying tickets on short notice in the summer!! :blink:

Pre-VISA

November 14, 2009 - met randomly in a park in Atlanta, talked 1 hour

November 16, 2009 - started emailing daily

December 11, 2009 - flew to DC for a weekend to visit

January 5, 2010 - JL flies back to Germany :(

March 17-23, 2010 - I visit JL in Germany

September 1, 2010 - I move to Germany!

September 9, 2011 - Married <3

German Visa

December 20, 2011 - applied for German visa

February 9, 2012 - interview

March 26, 2012 - temporary 18 month greencard!

US VISA

April 3, 2012 - mailed I-130s to Frankfurt

April 11, 2012 - NOA1 mailed

April 13, 2012 - I-130 payment authorized

April 18, 2012 - NOA1 received

Impatiently waiting for NOA2......

Thank you for the advice Anh map. I do realize that everyone wants to get back to the US otherwise you wouldn't be here. I do believe I'm getting the (I mean another :crying: ) Ulcer you were talking about.

AmyWrites- Seems like you're in an even worse situation than me. What exactly did you do that made the interview so bad? Maybe you can help us out so we don't make the same mistake? Thanks for the advice and much luck to your situation. It's tough when your life is in the hands of others.

ljandjl- Yes, you're right. I decided to email and it was completely unproductive. The first email didn't answer anything, so I sent a second one and the reply was:

Hello,

Your case is under review.

Sorry there’s nothing that we can do to speed it up.

USCIS FRANKFURT

We have most everything we need. I will have to look at that list again. It's been months now since I looked at the stuff.

Actually we tried to make an appointment, but the dr's office said they need our case number, which we obviously don't have since we haven't had any contact with the embassy.

I am bringing up the idea of going back before my husband tonight, but we've been through this long distance experience before, and I'm not sure we really want to deal with that again.

We will most likely extend the lease another month, have some kind of answers by June, and use the month and make sure all the i's are dotted. I just hope we have enough money to stay another month, be able to buy our inflated plane tickets, and pay some more to the embassy. :bonk:

GirlWithAGerman

Summer 2010 Summer Love in LA <3

Winter 2010 We're Engaged!

Spring 2011 Moved to Germany (The Plan is 2 Years)

Summer 2011 Eloped in Denmark.

Winter 2012 Sorry Germany... I Miss Home!!!

DCF

2.27.2012 I-130 Sent

3.16.2012 NOA 1

5.31.2012 NOA 2!! Approved!

6.4.2012 DS-230 Sent

6.6.2012 Checklist & Documents Sent

6.11.2012 Medical Appointment

6.14.2012 Requested More Documents -_-

6.18.2012 Sent More Documents

6.23.2012 Appointment letter received!

6.29.2012 Final Interview in Frankfurt!

7.4.2012 Happy 4th of July! The IV and super secret package are here!!!

7.29.2012 Flew Home!!!!!!!

8.6.2012 SSN Received

8.13.2012 Green Card Received

10.4.2012 Passed CA Driver's Test

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

I don't envy you.....and I hope we're able to bet our deadline. I might start working in DC in September, and it's entirely possible we won't have his greencard by then. When you finally are past the long distance stage you can't even imagine going back to it! I hope your case magically speeds up despite "there's nothing we can do about it" emails from the embassy. Some of that "German efficiency" would be good right about now, huh?!

Hang in there!!

Pre-VISA

November 14, 2009 - met randomly in a park in Atlanta, talked 1 hour

November 16, 2009 - started emailing daily

December 11, 2009 - flew to DC for a weekend to visit

January 5, 2010 - JL flies back to Germany :(

March 17-23, 2010 - I visit JL in Germany

September 1, 2010 - I move to Germany!

September 9, 2011 - Married <3

German Visa

December 20, 2011 - applied for German visa

February 9, 2012 - interview

March 26, 2012 - temporary 18 month greencard!

US VISA

April 3, 2012 - mailed I-130s to Frankfurt

April 11, 2012 - NOA1 mailed

April 13, 2012 - I-130 payment authorized

April 18, 2012 - NOA1 received

Impatiently waiting for NOA2......

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

In my case, I had filed a I-129F before, and the CO kept basically asking me how was I sure that my husband was the right choice, didn't I love the other guy too... um, when I filed the I-129F, I had just turned 20 and had absolutely no independence; I grew up basically once I moved to Russia. I blame young + stupid on that one, but the CO didn't seem to buy it.

Also he basically kept asking my husband if he'd dated other women while with me... NO... but.... And why didn't I have access to ALL his accounts (because only two of them he can withdraw money from the rest are just savings deposits so it's useless to add me). I don't know, are these interviews supposed to be so negative? I hear so many stories of people saying DCF is easier than breathing, I don't know if they're exaggerating or I'm just real unlucky. But granted, I got married less than a month ago, and we did move together basically three days after I arrived to Russia, which is strange. I just hope our evidence trumps his doubts.

Edited by AmyWrites

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.