13 posts in this topic

hi, i have a question, my sister will be my co-sponsor and im currently with her... once my wife gets the interview date, i will look for apartment and we are going to seperate... is my sister still fill up the i864a or i864? thanks for your help

Filed: Timeline

hi, i have a question, my sister will be my co-sponsor and im currently with her... once my wife gets the interview date, i will look for apartment and we are going to seperate... is my sister still fill up the i864a or i864? thanks for your help

She should fill out I-864. Her income should meet the poverty guidelines for her, your wife, and any other dependents of your sister (which would be listed on her tax returns).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

you still have to fill out the affidavite of support then add your sisiter as a co-sponsor. there is a section on there for that.

yeah i will add her as co-sponsor but my question is that what form she going to fill up? i-864 or i-864a? because like i said, im currently living with my sister and once NVC assigned an interview date, i will look for apartment and we are going to separate... so what form? thanks

yeah i will add her as co-sponsor but my question is that what form she going to fill up? i-864 or i-864a? because like i said, im currently living with my sister and once NVC assigned an interview date, i will look for apartment and we are going to separate... so what form? thanks

I-864

It depends where you state you intend to live.

To my understanding...

A joint sponser lives at a different address and completes a I-184, they must meet 125% above the poverty line for their household plus yours.

A co sponser lives in the same household as the petitioner and completes the I-184a and the incomes are combined.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I've got our co sponser is my husbands brother and they live together.

02/17/02: KH & PH started dating

11/11/06: Married in the UK

05/10/12: Sent off I-130 via Express Mail

05/11/12: I-130 signed for at Chicago Lockbox

05/11/12: Priority date for I-130

05/21/12: Received NOA1 hardcopy VSC

To my understanding...

A joint sponser lives at a different address and completes a I-184, they must meet 125% above the poverty line for their household plus yours.

A co sponser lives in the same household as the petitioner and completes the I-184a and the incomes are combined.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I've got our co sponser is my husbands brother and they live together.

You can do it either way, it just depends on how you intend to meet the requirements. If you want to be a sponsor and you want to include the income of relatives that live with you to meet the requirements, then asking them to sign I-864A is the way to go. But if that relative wants to co-sponsor the immigrant on their own income only, they can file I-864 separately from you. They would just need to include in their household size any dependents that they list on their tax returns plus the immigrant.

You can choose the route that works for you. In this case, if your co-sponsor has sufficient income to sponsor their dependents and the immigrant, file I-864 for them, and the petitioner can file their own I-864. But if you want to be able to add the relative's income to the petitioner's income so that the requirements are met, then the petitioner files I-864 and the relative that lives with the petitioner files I-864A.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

To my understanding...

There is no Co-sponsor <> Joint sponsor differentiation. The term co-sponsor is often used to refer to a joint sponsor.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

Are you currently living with your sister and her family? Or is it just you and your sister living in the same place?

If it's just you and sis then the 864A should be fine. If your sister has a family, then go with the 864 as the adjudicating officer will have a clearer picture of her household size.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Are you currently living with your sister and her family? Or is it just you and your sister living in the same place?

If it's just you and sis then the 864A should be fine. If your sister has a family, then go with the 864 as the adjudicating officer will have a clearer picture of her household size.

hi, im living with my sister, her daughter, father, mother, my other 3 siblings and my other sister's son... i saw that my sister's dependents are our parent + her daughter... so i-864 not 864a?

Timeline

hi, im living with my sister, her daughter, father, mother, my other 3 siblings and my other sister's son... i saw that my sister's dependents are our parent + her daughter... so i-864 not 864a?

Yes, sister completes the I-864.

If your sister claims your parents as dependents on her taxes then her income must meet the requirements for a household of 5 (sis+her daughter+2parents+your wife) = $33,762.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.