5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hello Everybody!

First of all, a big thank you to everybody for their contributions. I hope I'll be able to give back soon as well!

My latest tax return is 2009 which was filed with my ex-wife. What amount will they count, my income alone of the return since we are divorced or all of it as it was filed "married filling jointly"? I filed 2010 and 2011 (but with no income as I've been on a leave of absence living with my spouse in France).

If they count all of it ($70k) and I get it right, does that mean I meet the guidelines which are set at $18,912 per year ($56,736 for the 3 years)? Should I get a sponsor to "beef up" the file since I've had no income for the past 2 years (my wife has been running the household since then...)?

In advance, many grateful thanks to everybody for their time and help!

Ben

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

2009 does not matter. Current and continuing income is what is evaluated.

With zero current income you will need a joint sponsor that meets the income requirement for their household plus the intending immigrant.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

2009 does not matter. Current and continuing income is what is evaluated.

With zero current income you will need a joint sponsor that meets the income requirement for their household plus the intending immigrant.

Thank you for your quick response!

Makes sense...

If the sponsor is married filling jointly, do we need to include the husband's pay stubs and income verification?

Ben

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thank you for your quick response!

Makes sense...

If the sponsor is married filling jointly, do we need to include the husband's pay stubs and income verification?

Ben

The intending immigrants income will not count towards the I-864 income requirement unless that income source will continue after the immigration. BUT his assets do count.

USCIS- 260 Days

6/8/11~ Mailed I-130 Application, withdrew Canadian PR application
6/16/11~ NOA1 email and text message Case routed to CSC (Priority Date)
7/12/11~ The 'Money Order' Incident/Returned to Tennessee
8/03/11~ TOUCHED!
3/2/12~ APPROVED! NOA2!

NVC Electronic Processing- Montreal- 19 Days

3/21/12~ Received case number & IIN 20 Days after NOA2
3/21/12~ Sent in opt-in email
3/22/12~ Opt-in accepted
3/23/12~ DS-261 Submitted, never accepted
3/29/12~ AOS bill invoiced and paid
3/30/12~ AOS shows PAID- AOS Package emailed/received, DS-3032 emailed/accepted
4/2/12~ IV bill invoiced and paid
4/3/12~ AOS Checklist documents emailed(first time)
4/4/12~ IV shows PAID- DS-260 submitted/ IV Package emailed/received
4/4/12~ AOS Checklist documents sent again for CYA (second time)
4/5/12~ IV package accepted! No Checklists!
4/6/12~ AOS Checklist emailed(third time)
4/9/12~ AOS packet accepted (finally)
CASE COMPLETE!!

Interview 354 days from NOA1/ 362 days from initial filing date
5/29/12~ Medical@ Medisys, Montreal
6/4/12~ Interview APPROVED!!!
08/07/2012~ POE Emerson, MB/Pembina, ND by land
08/09/2012~ HOME!! 424 days from initial filing date!
08/14/2012~ SSN Received
09/10/2012~ Received Green Card

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

The intending immigrants income will not count towards the I-864 income requirement unless that income source will continue after the immigration. BUT his assets do count.

To make things clear, if I have no income (haven't had in 3 years), but my wife has in her checking account €70,000 (approximately $89000 USD), then that would waive the requirement to have a sponsor? Or is the fact I have no current income the trigger for a sponsor in the US with income?

Thanks for all your help and time!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.