ConcordUser

Dual US Passports

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Did any apply for the Dual US Passports. I guess we can apply for the second passport in order to facilitate the foreign visa issuance. We keep one passport while we send out the other one to foreign embassy for the visa processing. Second passport is only vaild for 2 years. I am wondering if any of you applied and used the second passport for visa purposes. This morning I went ahead and applied for the second passport since I have to renounce the indian citizenship and apply for the OCI indian visa. At that time I have to send away US passport for 2 weeks so indian consulate can stamp the OCI and return the US Passport. My second passport should be ready on Monday. All these steps are entirely new to me and very nice US Govt allows this facility. Next week I have to goto Drivers License and Social Security offices to submit my status change. Any thing else I have to do besided the DL and Social Security?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Did any apply for the Dual US Passports. I guess we can apply for the second passport in order to facilitate the foreign visa issuance. We keep one passport while we send out the other one to foreign embassy for the visa processing. Second passport is only vaild for 2 years. I am wondering if any of you applied and used the second passport for visa purposes. This morning I went ahead and applied for the second passport since I have to renounce the indian citizenship and apply for the OCI indian visa. At that time I have to send away US passport for 2 weeks so indian consulate can stamp the OCI and return the US Passport. My second passport should be ready on Monday. All these steps are entirely new to me and very nice US Govt allows this facility. Next week I have to goto Drivers License and Social Security offices to submit my status change. Any thing else I have to do besided the DL and Social Security?

We got passport cards which we can use to go to Canada and use if we ever have to send off passports for visas

You are aware that the US does not notify India you have become a citizen of the US, right?

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

FYI, second US passport is for the purpose of visiting certain nations, where they do not recognize a third nation (i.e. give you a hard time, having IL stamped on passport will not allow you to enter Saudi Arabia etc). I don't believe it is for the purpose you are trying to use. Don't get caught, penalty is severe for misuse of second PP.

quote name='ConcordUser' timestamp='1335565643' post='5336922']

Filed: Country: Netherlands
Timeline

OCI process is a breeze. You send the paperwork with copy of US passport first so it can be processed in Delhi. Once done, the consulate will tell you when to send in the passport so they match up OCI with the passport. Don't see reason to apply for 2nd passport.

Edited by ManuFred

N-400 application timeline

02-22-2012-- (00): documents sent

02-23-2012-- (01): NOA date

02-27-2012-- (05): check cashed

03-02-2012-- (09): bio appointment notice sent, bio date 03-15 (23)

03-05-2012-- (12): bio notice received

03-06-2012-- (13): early bio

03-12-2012-- (19): in line for interview scheduling

03-21-2012-- (28): scheduled for interview

03-28-2012-- (35): interview notice received

05-02-2012-- (70): interview. Rec. for Approval!

05-16-2012-- (84): in line for oath scheduling

06-19-2012-(118): scheduled for oath

06-21-2012-(120): oath letter received

07-06-2012-(135): oath

Passport application timeline

07-10-2012-- (00): application sent (card+book/routine service)

07-17-2012-- (07): application status online

07-26-2012-- (16): application on hold (name too long)

07-28-2012-- (18): RFI Tucson passport center (proposed shortened name) letter received

07-30-2012-- (20): reply sent to Tucson passport center

08-18-2012-- (39): passport book received

08-21-2012-- (42): passport card received

08-21-2012-- (42): CON received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

I am a student in the Caribbean Med School and travel. It is very difficult to send away passport for consulate for 2-4 weeks and not be able to travel to school. If I miss certain number of days from school they automatically fail you. That is why I choose to apply for the second passport though it is expensive and valid only for 2 years. As it is I am under lot of pressure with work and study and don't want to add more uncertenity to my life.

Filed: Country: Netherlands
Timeline

I am a student in the Caribbean Med School and travel. It is very difficult to send away passport for consulate for 2-4 weeks and not be able to travel to school. If I miss certain number of days from school they automatically fail you. That is why I choose to apply for the second passport though it is expensive and valid only for 2 years. As it is I am under lot of pressure with work and study and don't want to add more uncertenity to my life.

Well, it looks like you won't have time to go to India anyway but I understand you want OCI so you can travel in case of an emergency.

N-400 application timeline

02-22-2012-- (00): documents sent

02-23-2012-- (01): NOA date

02-27-2012-- (05): check cashed

03-02-2012-- (09): bio appointment notice sent, bio date 03-15 (23)

03-05-2012-- (12): bio notice received

03-06-2012-- (13): early bio

03-12-2012-- (19): in line for interview scheduling

03-21-2012-- (28): scheduled for interview

03-28-2012-- (35): interview notice received

05-02-2012-- (70): interview. Rec. for Approval!

05-16-2012-- (84): in line for oath scheduling

06-19-2012-(118): scheduled for oath

06-21-2012-(120): oath letter received

07-06-2012-(135): oath

Passport application timeline

07-10-2012-- (00): application sent (card+book/routine service)

07-17-2012-- (07): application status online

07-26-2012-- (16): application on hold (name too long)

07-28-2012-- (18): RFI Tucson passport center (proposed shortened name) letter received

07-30-2012-- (20): reply sent to Tucson passport center

08-18-2012-- (39): passport book received

08-21-2012-- (42): passport card received

08-21-2012-- (42): CON received

• 4 years later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

SQtoUS, you are wrong about the purpose of the second passport. 2nd passport can as well be issued for any itinerary that requires multiple visas which could not be obtained on time if done sequentially.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.