Meredith

What happens after denial?

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

OMG!! He used only ONCE in the past year and they found it??? Are you sure? That is ridiculous!!!

They didn't find it. His tests were negative. He admitted to using it when they asked him.

HUSBAND'S CASE

9/17/2011 - sent I-13

09/19/2011 - noa1 received

3/16/2012 - case sent to my local USCIS office for additional processing

4/21/2012 - AP. If we haven't heard from them in SIX MONTHS (omg) we can feel free to call them!!! Thanks!

9/20/2012 - Interview scheduled - October 3!!!!

10/3/2012 - Interview went well but she must look at his A-file more before decision.

10/12/2012 - I-130 APPROVED! APPROVED! APPROVED!

KIDS' CASES

04/20/2012: NOA107/20/2012: instead of an approval, we got thrown into AP. sigh

11/01/2012: Boys' I-130 interview set for November 28, 2012.

11/28/2012: I-130s APPROVED! APPROVED! APPROVED!

NVC

12/14/2012: NVC Received

12/31/2012: Case number/IIN

12/31/2012: DS-3032 sent

01/08/2013: DS-3032 accepted

01/02/2013: AOS bill0

1/03/2013: AOS bill shows PAID

01/04/2013: AOS package sent

01/09/2013: IV bill

01/10/2013: IV bill shows PAID

01/11/2013: IV package sent

01/23/2013: Case complete

02/01/2013: Interview scheduled

US Embassy Lagos

02/22/2013: Embassy received

03/01/2013: Medical

03/20/2013: Interview - was told the boys would have been approved on the spot if they had pics! Errrr :-(

04/15/2013: DNA test

05/15/2013: Emailed embassy BEGGING them to let boys drop off passports for visa insertion. IT WORKED!!!

05/31/2013: Visa in hand

06/02/2013: POE JFK!!!!!!

5spxll0m6aa.png

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Search back on the posts here - they changed the laws to be the one year post use - There are a few other yardies that this happened to, and they married and refiled to get the interview right after the ban was up - One's hubby has been here a few years now, they have a beautiful baby - it was before they changed the law. So, my suggestion, if you want to marry regardless, is marry in JA and refile - make sure his interview is one year post this interview and you will be fine.

Fire de a Mus Mus tail, him tink a cool breeze

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

1. His paperwrok will be returned to USCIS. By then the petition will be expired.

2. Yes. The petition will be expired you need to file a new one.

3. Don't use marijuana. It is illegal and a reason to be banned for more than one year. You cannot be "tricked and bullied" into admitting something you DID NOT do. So don't. Doesn;t matter what ones opinion on the use of marijuana is, you CAN be banned for life for using it. Best to lay off it until he gets here and BECOMES A CITIZEN 4 years later. Then they can only put you in prison but they cannot kick you out.

Wait one year and send in another petition.

Wish my husband had followed your advice when he got in

trouble for meth when he used to live in the USA.

Now he has a child he hasn't seen in person for 16

years and the mother of the child hasn't considered

it a priority for the child to ever see her father

in England (but he's Still expected to pay child

support! #######?!)

Hindsight.

I-130

2011-08-20 Posted

2011-08-31 NOA1

2011-09-03 Touch

2011-11-18 Sent Expedite Request to USCIS

2011-12-09 Response Received for Exepedite Request

"Wait your turn" in a nutshell

2011-12-02 Sent Expedite Request to US Representative Ed Royce

2012-01-27 Sent Expedite Request to Immigration Ombudsman

2012-02-02 Sent Expedite Request to Senator Barbara Boxer

2012-02-02 Sent Expedite Request to Senator Dianne Feinstein

2012-03-08 Case transferred to field office for additional processing

2012-03-23 Now being processed at a USCIS office

2012-05-10 Transferred to another office for processing

2012-05-14 Now being processed at a USCIS office

2012-06-05 Approved NOA2

2012-07-17 NVC Case/Invoice # Received

Petitioner: US Born Citizen (Wife)

Beneficiary: British Born Citizen (Husband)

Your I-130 was approved in 279 days from your NOA1 date

OMG!! He used only ONCE in the past year and they found it??? Are you sure? That is ridiculous!!!

They didn't find it. His urine was clean. In his medical, the doctor asked him when the last time was that he smoked. Since he's a tobacco smoker, he replied "this morning." She then ordered a drug test (to the tune of 2000 J extra) to which he said "you didn't clarify between tobacco or ganja." She frowned at him and then told him that ganja stays in the system a very long time and if he's done it even once, he better confess because it will look better to the consulate. So he confessed to having used it once in December. *sigh*

And yes, it's not the worst place in the world to have to move to :) They even have free healthcare - can we say that? (okay, so far, it's a pretty crappy system, but still, free, eh? eh?)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Iran
Timeline

They didn't find it. His urine was clean. In his medical, the doctor asked him when the last time was that he smoked. Since he's a tobacco smoker, he replied "this morning." She then ordered a drug test (to the tune of 2000 J extra) to which he said "you didn't clarify between tobacco or ganja." She frowned at him and then told him that ganja stays in the system a very long time and if he's done it even once, he better confess because it will look better to the consulate. So he confessed to having used it once in December. *sigh*

And yes, it's not the worst place in the world to have to move to :) They even have free healthcare - can we say that? (okay, so far, it's a pretty crappy system, but still, free, eh? eh?)

By the way I'm truly sorry to hear that, I truly understand the pain. BUT, I don't why I can't find the details. Let me say like this, you may help me. When they asked "when was the last time that he smoked" doesn't it mean that they found s/th in the medical? AND the second question is: Doest it really stay in our system for 5 months? From December to April??? Did he smoke in December only once?

I hope you can help me out cause I'm worried, my brother has his interview next 10 days, and he smoke ONCE about 67 days before in a party and he didn't even inhale it (may one or two PUFF). Do you think it would be a problem for him? I'm going crazy since I read your post here. His interview will be in UAE!

your reply to me is highly appreciated.

event.png

event.png

AOS I-485:

Package sent: October 10th

NOA1: October 18th

Biometric Letter: October 20th

Biometric apt: November 16th

Search back on the posts here - they changed the laws to be the one year post use - There are a few other yardies that this happened to, and they married and refiled to get the interview right after the ban was up - One's hubby has been here a few years now, they have a beautiful baby - it was before they changed the law. So, my suggestion, if you want to marry regardless, is marry in JA and refile - make sure his interview is one year post this interview and you will be fine.

Yes. We're getting married in July and refiling in September so we can interview shortly after April 23rd. Luckily, I'm a teacher, so I'll be living there this summer.

Timeline

By the way I'm truly sorry to hear that, I truly understand the pain. BUT, I don't why I can't find the details. Let me say like this, you may help me. When they asked "when was the last time that he smoked" doesn't it mean that they found s/th in the medical? AND the second question is: Doest it really stay in our system for 5 months? From December to April??? Did he smoke in December only once?

I hope you can help me out cause I'm worried, my brother has his interview next 10 days, and he smoke ONCE about 67 days before in a party and he didn't even inhale it (may one or two PUFF). Do you think it would be a problem for him? I'm going crazy since I read your post here. His interview will be in UAE!

your reply to me is highly appreciated.

I would suggest asking people what happens at the embassy in your own country - Jamaica is a complete different animal when it comes to this -

Yes. We're getting married in July and refiling in September so we can interview shortly after April 23rd. Luckily, I'm a teacher, so I'll be living there this summer.

Before you do that, I would email the embassy and research this a bit more - Because the law is a one year ban post use - So he might be able to re-test in Dec and then get his interview again under the K1 - Did they give him a denial letter, or how did they handle it?

Fire de a Mus Mus tail, him tink a cool breeze

Timeline

sigh...

I am sorry you have had this happen Meredith. It upsets me on many levels, but I want you to know that there are many of us that can help get you through the next year, and tho it will take time, this can be overcome! (F)

Gary & Ala you really helped me in my first petition as a K1 and I was always grateful to you, but your statement that admission of marijuana use is a lifetime ban is incorrect. Admission of cocaine use is not even a lifetime ban. Only a conviction or arrest that relates to a controlled substance is a lifetime ban from our country.

A person who admits to using drugs will be banned for a specified amount of time in order to prove remission. In 2010 the ban was changed from 3 years to 1 year. http://travel.state.gov/pdf/Revised%20Tech%20Instructions%20Phys%20Mental%20Substance%20Disorders%20-%20June2010.pdf

Say what you want to say about how people should not be using this horrible illegal Schedule 1 drug, but the truth is even our past Presidents have admitted to experimenting with Marijuana and it is NOTHING close to heroin! There is a HUGE push for a change in federal legislation in regards to this, not only from American Citizens, but also from other countries around the world!

http://www.drugpolicy.org/news/2012/04/president-obama-attend-summit-americas-colombia-weekend-discussions-include-drug-decrim

Jamaica is the only consulate I know of that will ask the specific question several times and in several different ways trying to get someone to admit they have used marijuana. To me it is heartbreaking to see families kept apart over something even our leaders have admitted to doing.

The public health care in Jamaica is horrible. :(

I am praying for you (L)

sigh...

I am sorry you have had this happen Meredith. It upsets me on many levels, but I want you to know that there are many of us that can help get you through the next year, and tho it will take time, this can be overcome! (F)

Gary & Ala you really helped me in my first petition as a K1 and I was always grateful to you, but your statement that admission of marijuana use is a lifetime ban is incorrect. Admission of cocaine use is not even a lifetime ban. Only a conviction or arrest that relates to a controlled substance is a lifetime ban from our country.

A person who admits to using drugs will be banned for a specified amount of time in order to prove remission. In 2010 the ban was changed from 3 years to 1 year. http://travel.state.gov/pdf/Revised%20Tech%20Instructions%20Phys%20Mental%20Substance%20Disorders%20-%20June2010.pdf

Say what you want to say about how people should not be using this horrible illegal Schedule 1 drug, but the truth is even our past Presidents have admitted to experimenting with Marijuana and it is NOTHING close to heroin! There is a HUGE push for a change in federal legislation in regards to this, not only from American Citizens, but also from other countries around the world!

http://www.drugpolicy.org/news/2012/04/president-obama-attend-summit-americas-colombia-weekend-discussions-include-drug-decrim

Jamaica is the only consulate I know of that will ask the specific question several times and in several different ways trying to get someone to admit they have used marijuana. To me it is heartbreaking to see families kept apart over something even our leaders have admitted to doing.

The public health care in Jamaica is horrible. :(

I am praying for you (L)

Thanks, Jasmine :) I appreciate everyone's support. Sadly, we have to wait until March for him to reapply because although he confessed to using in December, the doctor wrote "March" on his medical form. I mean, really. Wouldn't he have dirty urine if he used in March and tested in early April? Oh well. I cannot control this situation so I raise my hands to the air and let the good Lord take over from here.

I'm looking forward to getting married and refiling. Dare I say that a sick, twisted part of me actually liked doing all of this paperwork? All the sticky notes and hyper organization rubs me the right way - lol :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.