yahm

K1 help

16 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello, I hope someone here can help me and give an idea on what to do, I got my birth certificate last friday and saw that my name was misspelled. 1 letter difference. I found out i was registered twice,and the name i was using was blocked. NSO doesn't want to release it,and my interview is on friday. I wasn't expecting this because i have been getting bc from NSO for years so many times, and this happens now. :( and I don't have much time :(..should I cancel the interview? Please ,any help will be much appreciated. thanks!

July 09 2011- form I-129f sent by mail.

July 12 2001-received by the USCIS Dallas,got an email,forwarded to Vermont service center.

July 15 2011- NOA1 received. (I-797C)

July 20 2011- touched

March 16 2012- NOA2 Approved.(no RFE,crazy huh?)

March 21 2012- NOA2 (Hardcopy)

March 21 2012- Case# assigned. petition forwarded to US EMBASSY MANILA

April 2 2012- eligibility letter received.

April 17 2012-Medical appointment-PASSED!

April 27 2012- Interview PASSED!

MAY 10 2012- VISA ISSUED

MAY 26- POE-(DTW) (to ORF)

June 10 2012- WEDDING! :)

July 24 2012- AOS sent

August 1 2012 - NOA1 received by text

August 4 2012 - biometrics appointment letter received

August 9,2012 -Biometrics done!

September 27,2012-EAD & AP approved!

December 11,2012 -AOS interview date

December 21, 2012 -Greencard received!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello, I hope someone here can help me and give an idea on what to do, I got my birth certificate last friday and saw that my name was misspelled. 1 letter difference. I found out i was registered twice,and the name i was using was blocked. NSO doesn't want to release it,and my interview is on friday. I wasn't expecting this because i have been getting bc from NSO for years so many times, and this happens now. :( and I don't have much time :(..should I cancel the interview? Please ,any help will be much appreciated. thanks!

May be better to reschedule the interview even if it is a inconvenience. You will have tto get your birth certificatecorrected to reflect the name that was filed on your I-129F petition and used on any immigrations documents. If names don't match the Consular Officer will not issue the VISA and ask you to come back with corrected documentations. If you used different names, such as nicknames in any of your documents to prove your relationship then expect to have several CENOMARS to cover the different names and an NBI Police Clearance which has your proper birth name and the other names listed as A.K.A. NBI can do it so don't let them tell you that they can't. Simply tell them that it is required for the U.S. Embassy interview and that the U.S. Consular Officer requested it or they may tell you it is not necessary and not do it. They are not the American Consular fficer at the Embassy. I have been to my ex wife/then fiancee's interview in May 2010 and she had the wrong name on her birth certificate that I paid to have corrected and it took several months in Zamboanga City. I had her get two CENOMARS for the incorrect name on the birth certificate and the corrected name that they just type on the same birth certificate and authenticate it. I also had her get the NBI wth the A.K.A. on it which she also tried to fight me on. When we sat down with the COnsular Officer he appreciated getting them, said it made he job easier because he did not have to do additional paperwork to have her come back later with them and thanked me personally. Needless to say she was approved. You can try to go to he interview and see if you can get your VISA without it, but tthey could aslo tell you to do what I just did and return. Also on the NSO blocking your paperwork, talk to a supervisor, not the customer service representative. If they give you a hard time, then ask to speak to their supervisr and keep going up the chain of command. My ex didn't want to stand her ground until I forced her and she was able to get all of the paperwork that she was told was not necessary. Of course you are paying for it so ou should be entitled to it. Good Luck.

Edited by RickJovi

Timeline

Thank you for your reply sir.

Will I be denied on the spot at the interview if I go with this wrong birth certificate with an affidavit of discrepancy attached to it?and a letter saying that getting it corrected's under process?

I was told by this NSO person that if I am willing to pay the right amount she will release my birth certificate.I just don't know what to do and I didn't dare to ask yet on how much the "right amount" was. on Monday I will try to go to the main office in Manila and see if my record is still there.keeping my fingers crossed.

May be better to reschedule the interview even if it is a inconvenience. You will have tto get your birth certificatecorrected to reflect the name that was filed on your I-129F petition and used on any immigrations documents. If names don't match the Consular Officer will not issue the VISA and ask you to come back with corrected documentations. If you used different names, such as nicknames in any of your documents to prove your relationship then expect to have several CENOMARS to cover the different names and an NBI Police Clearance which has your proper birth name and the other names listed as A.K.A. NBI can do it so don't let them tell you that they can't. Simply tell them that it is required for the U.S. Embassy interview and that the U.S. Consular Officer requested it or they may tell you it is not necessary and not do it. They are not the American Consular fficer at the Embassy. I have been to my ex wife/then fiancee's interview in May 2010 and she had the wrong name on her birth certificate that I paid to have corrected and it took several months in Zamboanga City. I had her get two CENOMARS for the incorrect name on the birth certificate and the corrected name that they just type on the same birth certificate and authenticate it. I also had her get the NBI wth the A.K.A. on it which she also tried to fight me on. When we sat down with the COnsular Officer he appreciated getting them, said it made he job easier because he did not have to do additional paperwork to have her come back later with them and thanked me personally. Needless to say she was approved. You can try to go to he interview and see if you can get your VISA without it, but tthey could aslo tell you to do what I just did and return. Also on the NSO blocking your paperwork, talk to a supervisor, not the customer service representative. If they give you a hard time, then ask to speak to their supervisr and keep going up the chain of command. My ex didn't want to stand her ground until I forced her and she was able to get all of the paperwork that she was told was not necessary. Of course you are paying for it so ou should be entitled to it. Good Luck.

July 12 2001-received by the USCIS Dallas,got an email,forwarded to Vermont service center.

July 20 2011- touched

MAY 10 2012- VISA ISSUED

July 24 2012- AOS sent

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

No you won't be denied on the spot, IF the birth certificate is an issue they will give you a 221g requesting a corrected birth certificate. I don't know that I would cancel the interview but I for sure would do what it takes to get the correct birth certificate ordered from NSO, I am not sure what is with the blocked birth certificate, puzzles me.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

TEN steps to be undertaken in the correction of an entry in a civil registry document

1. Contact a lawyer who will prepare the Petition for Correction of Entry.

2. Lawyers shall file the Petition in the Regional Trial Court. The fee for filing the Petition in the Regional Trial Court is Php 160.00.

3. The Petition will be raffled and assigned to a branch of the Regional Trial Court.

4. The assigned Regional Trial Court shall issue an Order for the publication of its Order in a newspaper of general cirsulation for three consecutive weeks. Fee for publication varies.

5. The Order contains the date of the first hearing.

6. During the first hearing, the lawyer will present compliance of the jurisdictional requirements like publication of the Order in a newspaper of general circulation.

7. After establishing compliance with jurisdictional requirements, the petitioner will be presented in Court to testify. The Court may assign the Clerk of Court to receive evidence.

8.During the hearing, i is possible that an oppositor may appear contesting the Petition. If o oppositor appears, the Clerk of Court will receive the petitioner’s evidence.

9. After presentation of evidence, the Court will rule on the Petition.

10. If the decision is favorable, the Court will order the Office of Civil Registrar to correct the entry in the civil registry document (birth/marriage/death certificate of the petitioner).

http://www.census.gov.ph/data/civilreg/ten_steps.html

NSO BIRTH CERTIFICATE CORRECTION

NSO Certificate Republic Act 9048

http://nso.citizenservices.com.ph/nso-certificate-ra9048

http://manilamommy.com/2012/04/change-name-nso-certificate/

http://www.census.gov.ph/data/civilreg/primerra9048.html

God Does for those who do for themselves..!!

Timeline

According to the lawyer, mine falls under RA 9048, which didn't need a judicial processing. Im just not sure how long it will take, and I can't do anything in 6 days. :(

July 20 2011- touched

MAY 10 2012- VISA ISSUED

July 24 2012- AOS sent

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

You could consider attaching a letter stating that your name was misspelled upon issuance and if they want further clarification they will let you know. Personally, that's what I would do. Good luck.

Met on line: 7-4-2007

Sent petition to Vermont Service Center on 8-11-2010

NOA1 VSC 8-27-10

NOA2 VSC 2-7-11

Interview 5-12-11

Approved 5-12-11

POE: LA/6-15-2011

Married 8-26-2011

AOS: Submitted 10-7-2011

AOS Interview: 2-23-2012 Approved

Green Card Recvd: 2-28-2012

cancel the interview maybe? coz sure to fix you bc takes more than one week. I got issue with my bc too but i'm aware of it since i was high school tho i thought it's only my name misspelled but when i get my bc nso copy last year they said that i dont have my given name on it and just my surname but on my original bc i have my given name on it, so i make them fixed it, they only put note on the side of bc about my name and give me two pages of my orginal bc showing my name in handwriten. It takes more than two weeks for me to finished the process

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
K1 TIMELINE
02-10-2012 - NOA1 (hard copy)
08-22-2012 - NOA2
08-26-2012 - NOA2 (hard copy)
09-06-2012 - Medical (first day)
09-07-2012 - Medical (second day) -
passed!
10-04-2012 - Interview Day - approved!
10-10-2012 - Visa received (3 working days)
10-11-2012 - CFO Seminar (got certificate and sticker one day)

AOS TIMELINE

01-04-2013 - got my SS Card

01-18-2013 - Filing Date

02-14-2013 - Bio Appointment

08-29-2013 - AOS Approved (no interview)

ROC TIMELINE

06-15-2015 - Filing Date

07-23-2015 - Bio Appointment

04-04-2016 - ROC Approved (no interview)

N400 TIMELINE

08-27-2016 - Filing Date

10-03-2016 - Bio Appointment

12-20-2016 - N400 Interview (approved)

12-28-2016 - Oath Taking

Timeline

only 2 weeks? what did you do? mine's details are the same except for my first name . instead of "Name" it became "Names". everything else is the same. but i know it will still be a problem. :(

cancel the interview maybe? coz sure to fix you bc takes more than one week. I got issue with my bc too but i'm aware of it since i was high school tho i thought it's only my name misspelled but when i get my bc nso copy last year they said that i dont have my given name on it and just my surname but on my original bc i have my given name on it, so i make them fixed it, they only put note on the side of bc about my name and give me two pages of my orginal bc showing my name in handwriten. It takes more than two weeks for me to finished the process

July 20 2011- touched

MAY 10 2012- VISA ISSUED

July 24 2012- AOS sent

I just go to nso then asked the guard where i can file suplemental report about my b.c. Then pay again then they tell you when to go back to get it tho they wont put your name correctly to where it supposed to be they just gonna add information of your suplemental report on the side of your bc .. Haha i'm laughing when i realise that i dont really have my name on my bc.. Good luck hope you fixed it soon

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
K1 TIMELINE
02-10-2012 - NOA1 (hard copy)
08-22-2012 - NOA2
08-26-2012 - NOA2 (hard copy)
09-06-2012 - Medical (first day)
09-07-2012 - Medical (second day) -
passed!
10-04-2012 - Interview Day - approved!
10-10-2012 - Visa received (3 working days)
10-11-2012 - CFO Seminar (got certificate and sticker one day)

AOS TIMELINE

01-04-2013 - got my SS Card

01-18-2013 - Filing Date

02-14-2013 - Bio Appointment

08-29-2013 - AOS Approved (no interview)

ROC TIMELINE

06-15-2015 - Filing Date

07-23-2015 - Bio Appointment

04-04-2016 - ROC Approved (no interview)

N400 TIMELINE

08-27-2016 - Filing Date

10-03-2016 - Bio Appointment

12-20-2016 - N400 Interview (approved)

12-28-2016 - Oath Taking

Timeline

IL try that on monday.. thanks for the info sis..i hope it will be that easy too..just when we are so close..this happens.. err.

I just go to nso then asked the guard where i can file suplemental report about my b.c. Then pay again then they tell you when to go back to get it tho they wont put your name correctly to where it supposed to be they just gonna add information of your suplemental report on the side of your bc .. Haha i'm laughing when i realise that i dont really have my name on my bc.. Good luck hope you fixed it soon

July 20 2011- touched

MAY 10 2012- VISA ISSUED

July 24 2012- AOS sent

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thank you for your reply sir.

Will I be denied on the spot at the interview if I go with this wrong birth certificate with an affidavit of discrepancy attached to it?and a letter saying that getting it corrected's under process?

I was told by this NSO person that if I am willing to pay the right amount she will release my birth certificate.I just don't know what to do and I didn't dare to ask yet on how much the "right amount" was. on Monday I will try to go to the main office in Manila and see if my record is still there.keeping my fingers crossed.

When you talk about the lady will relese your bc for the right amount, i is a payoff under the table. Your counry is like that. THe old saying peso say so in the Philippines is true. YOu can do anything the majority of the time if you are willing to pay the right person the right amount under the table. When I said cancel and reschedule the interview, it was just my opnion. You can go and the VISA process could be put on hold and you issued the 221g, so to me I would say why take the chance. It is a 50.50 ####### shoot. If they issue you the 221g, then you are still delayed. Good luck. I wish you the best.

According to the lawyer, mine falls under RA 9048, which didn't need a judicial processing. Im just not sure how long it will take, and I can't do anything in 6 days. :(

WHAT CORRECTIONS CAN BE MADE BY RA 9048?

RA 9048 allows these corrections:

correction of clerical or typographical errors in any entry in civil registry documents, except corrections involving the change in sex, age, nationality and status of a person.

(A clerical or typographical error refers to an obvious mistake committed in clerical work, either in writing, copying, transcribing, or typing an entry in the civil register that is harmless and innocuous, such as a misspelled name or misspelled place of birth and the like, and can be corrected or changed only by reference to other existing record or records.)

change of a person's first name in his/her civil registry document under certain grounds specified under the law through administrative process. http://www.census.gov.ph/data/civilreg/primerra9048.html#Q2

I believe your lawyer is correct on this one. Unfortunately, my fiancee had to do what Walley Greene stated in the '10 steps'. This was because her birth certificate was marked as 'male'. What a nightmare, and an added expense that included a full physical of probing to make sure she had the correct naturally conceived lady parts! Sure, 10 steps and about 8 months! Fortunately for you, your correction shouldn't take nearly as long. Search the threads here. There are several older threads about others who experienced what you have and didn't have to go through the '10 steps' and give time frames for the corrections. Either way, I would reschedule. I delayed sending my petition specifically for this reason. My fiancee will have her NSO copy in May. Goodluck!

Edited by ToddnJessa

Our K-1 and AOS Journey

05/12-05/22/10-met my sweetheart and family(had lots of fun!)
12/13-12/26/11-met again for engagement/Christmas
04/10/12-I-129F petition sent
04/13/12-USPS delivery confirmation
04/18/12-NOA1 text/email
04/21/12-NOA1(receipt 04/17/12)
10/10/12-NOA2 text
10/15/12-NOA2 letter received
10/27/12-NVC letter received
11/28/12-Medical Exam-PASSED
12/07/12-K-1 Interview-APPROVED

02/12/13-POE-Atlanta
03/04/13-Wedding
03/27/13-AOS,EAD,AP delivered
04/03/13-NOAs text/email
04/08/13-NOAs received
04/26/13-Biometrics appointment(walk-in done 04/17)

06/03/13-EAD card production/AP post decision approval

06/10/13-EAD/AP combo card received

04/04/14-AOS card production/decision

04/11/14-NOA2 welcome to the USA

04/12/14-Received GC

Timeline

an UPDATE: I went to NSO main and they were able to give me the correct copy of my birth certificate. :) thanks everyone for the helpful replies..

July 20 2011- touched

MAY 10 2012- VISA ISSUED

July 24 2012- AOS sent

Timeline

an UPDATE: I went to NSO main and they were able to give me the correct copy of my birth certificate. :) thanks everyone for the helpful replies..

Wheww!! :whistle: That save alot of time and delays :clock: . Good Luck on the interview :thumbs: .

God Does for those who do for themselves..!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.