Sidz1990

Questions!!

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi guys!

I have a couple questions that I would really appreciate getting an answer to. I've been trying to find them myself but these boards are very extensive to search when you don't know WHERE to begin!

So first....

My bf (we don't want a long engagement, waiting for our petition to move to the embassy)filed our K-1 on December 19, 2011. We have yet to recieve an RFE and seemingly to be nearing the final month of the USCIS side of things. Does that mean we won't get one or should we keep a lookout for it?

Second...

I am Canadian. Once we get married, do I lose my canadian citizenship? Or do I have dual? I am completely confused as to what happens there.

Third...

Anyone been through the Montreal Embassy? Is the time elapsed between their reception of the K-1 and waiting for an interview a myth or reality? I've been told that it could be 4+ month wait... Not sure of how reputable that source was but oh well! Also! What is the cash fee for the interview, and how long does the interview typically last?

Fourth (and lastly)...

How long do you recommend waiting to get things together for moving into the USA? I am aware they say to wait to make those moves until you have the K-1 in hand but in our case, and I'm sure we aren't the only ones, as soon as we have it we don't want to be apart any longer. I have a to-do list already drawn up in this effect and I'm itching to cross them off but I don't want to do it pre-maturely.

THANK YOU!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi guys!

I have a couple questions that I would really appreciate getting an answer to. I've been trying to find them myself but these boards are very extensive to search when you don't know WHERE to begin!

So first....

My bf (we don't want a long engagement, waiting for our petition to move to the embassy)filed our K-1 on December 19, 2011. We have yet to recieve an RFE and seemingly to be nearing the final month of the USCIS side of things. Does that mean we won't get one or should we keep a lookout for it?

Second...

I am Canadian. Once we get married, do I lose my canadian citizenship? Or do I have dual? I am completely confused as to what happens there.

Third...

Anyone been through the Montreal Embassy? Is the time elapsed between their reception of the K-1 and waiting for an interview a myth or reality? I've been told that it could be 4+ month wait... Not sure of how reputable that source was but oh well! Also! What is the cash fee for the interview, and how long does the interview typically last?

Fourth (and lastly)...

How long do you recommend waiting to get things together for moving into the USA? I am aware they say to wait to make those moves until you have the K-1 in hand but in our case, and I'm sure we aren't the only ones, as soon as we have it we don't want to be apart any longer. I have a to-do list already drawn up in this effect and I'm itching to cross them off but I don't want to do it pre-maturely.

THANK YOU!!!

1. you will get an rfe or an approval.

2. you can be dual citizen, but you do not become US citizen for at least 4 years.

3. i heard montreal has long waiting period, there is regional forum, just scroll down VJ home page to find them (listed by country under regional)

4. after your interview / visa is approved, should have in hand in a few days, but better ask regional forum.

ask regional questions for canada here http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/93-canada/

Edited by L+T

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi guys!

So first....

Second...

Third...

Fourth (and lastly)...

THANK YOU!!!

Waiting a long time does no tmean you will not get an RFE. They only handle your case one time, it will either be approved or you get an RFE. You petition is still sealed in a box. It will be adjuducated about 20 mintues after it is taken out of the box. "Touches" are when the BOX is scanned because it is moved somewhere.

Nothing changes when you get married. You will file for an adjustment of status which will get you a green card and make you a permanent resident, NOT a citizen. After three years as a permanent resident you can apply to become a citizen. If you do, you do not surrender your Canadian citizenship UNLESS you want to. You will be a dual citizen and subject to the laws of both countries. That meansnome tax filing for both countries but not necessarily tax payments to both countries.

Do not make any plans until the visa is in your hand. You will be doing a LOT of waiting over the next few years, a few more weeks makes no difference.

I cannot answer about the Montreal consulate

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.