beejay

Stand alone I-130 for stepchild(ren)

1,280 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-2 Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

We got to Honduras on Tuesday. We had our interview this morning and it was approved!!!! We are over the moon. We were told to come back today to pick up her visa. As soon as we have it in hand we will be changing our flights and buying her ticket. Hoping to be back home by tomorrow night!!

Tips for the interview: This forum has been priceless to me. I have lived on this site for the last 7 months. When we went to the interview I had all of my papers in a 1" flexible binder. I had all papers in clear page protectors labeled on the outside with the information that was included in each one. When they called us back she had looked through everything already and asked both my husband and I several questions. We didn't have pictures of my husband and stepdaughter together but what we did have was pictures from all of our internet calls with her. I just took pics of the screen everytime. Our daughter is only 3 and you could see how she has changed over time and gotten bigger. Also my husband had longer hair in some and shorter in others. We worried that they would still want pictures showing them physically together. She didn't. She told me we were so smart to take those pictures. She said everyone says they Skype but we don't really know if they do. She also said that we were very organized and she appreciated it. She didn't even ask for copies of receipts for money we've sent even though we had 3 yrs worth or phone records showing the phone calls back and forth. The only other thing she asked was if we had a authorization letter from the mom saying we could take the baby with us to the United States and asked if it was notarized which it was. She took it and said basically your visa has been approved. Congratulations you have a beautiful family. We were told we could go back this afternoon and pick up the visa. SO Happy!! Thank you to everyone who has provided advice on this site it was a God send for us.

OMG I LOVE this! I got tears in my eyes reading it. This is such an emotional process.

I hadn't thought about taking screen shots of skype calls. Great idea. Too late for us, but maybe I will add that to the wiki page.

Hi Beejay, Im still here. Serenity did give me excellent advice, but unofortunately I havent been able to follow up. I asked my M-I-L for some type of medical paperwork showing her heart issue, and she hasnt been able to provide me with any. I dont know if its exaggeration on the my husbands brother's part, or what, but Ive just been sitting tight.

I think this is soo freaking unfair the way they are processing these I-130s, but what can I do. I even thought about filing again since it seems that people are being approved within two months, but I dont have the money to throw away.

-Still frustrated.

OMG for you too. This makes me so much less happy about our own progress knowing how many others are still waiting. It is just luck, who knew if you waited until November, things could have gone quicker? I can't believe there is no attempt on the part of USCIS to equalize some of the wait times. I really hope to see some good news from you soon. REALLY!

Remember that you can also stretch things out at the NVC stage too. Once your petition is approved and sent to NVC you can take your time paying fees and submitting documents. You can take up to a year in between submitting documents to keep your case active.

Oh yeah! That's what we are doing, a little bit. Aiming for an early summer interview rather than spring, so we don't have to fly back and forth twice PLUS the kid's plane ticket.

When last I posted I was waiting on USCIS to approve the second of my step daughters. Situation: One was approved however the younger of the two was not. Good news: On the 19th of February we received an email that the second daughter had been approved, three weeks after the first, but whatever we are happy. I then began to get concerned because we had not heard from NVC regarding the first daughter. I called NVC and the woman told me they did not have anything from USCIS regarding her. UUUUGG! She said I should request research on her case with the NVC, because there is no indication that they had ever received her package. What is going on, anyone else having similar problems? So what does that mean, I sent "the research email" with an attached copy of the approval. Does this mean her case has to be found or can I just send NVC copies of what I sent USCIS?

I don't really know what to add about your situation. It stinks that the cases are split up, but that's good information to remind others that each case has to stand alone....I guess the first daughter's case is not completely out of the "20-30 days" they tell you it takes to log in cases at NVC, though it does seem outside the norm. Our case took more than 2 weeks to show up at NVC and at least two more to receive a case number (I don't really know, I stopped calling for a while). PROBABLY it's just on its way and the cases will be united for the interview. I really hope that is the case.

My wife and I were recently married in the US. She is here on a B-2 visa. She has 2 children 5yr old, Costa Rican Citizen and 7yr old US citizen. We plan on concurent filing for my wife and at the same time consular filing for her 5yr old. Dose anyone know if I have to wait until my wife's case is approved unitl I can submitt the consular filing for my step daughter? or can I file the two packages at the same time.

I would think you could apply at the same time... but that is totally a guess. Check in with the adjustment of status forum folks - someone there must have some actual experience with this.

---

I got our NVC case number tonight! But forgot to ask for the Invoice ID Number... so I called back and waited on hold another 25 minutes to get that. Also, both times they asked me who I was (since I am neither beneficiary nor petitioner) but didn't seem to *care* who I was (one of them said "who are you, a friend?"). I am going to make myself the agent on the case so I can call any time without problems. They let me add my e-mail to the account after they spoke with my husband, the petitioner. All they asked him was his name.

I have gone through all of this thread and saw some conflicting information about the DS-3032 choice of agent form... I was going to try the e-mail method from my stepson's e-mail account, but don't know if it will work since I don't have the hard copy of the signed form from him (hmmm I suppose he could scan it and send it to me but I think it is a lot of trouble for him to find a scanner). Maybe I'll try without it and see if it takes. I should have given the NVC operator *his* e-mail address (which I have access to; created specially for this process!) Oh well. I'm not sure that NVC is so keen on these "shortcuts" - all the operators I have spoken with only refer to the traditional method of waiting for the letter to arrive and mailing the form in.

As I said before, we are not in a rush because we are trying to combine the trip for my husband to attend the interview with the trip for one of us to fly to the U.S. with my stepson. He could fly alone but we don't want to do that to him since he's never been on any airplane before.

Good thing we are not in a hurry - my husband's ex-wife hasn't even sent the documents yet. There is some political turmoil going on in Bulgaria currently and she hasn't been paid in a while so she doesn't even have money for postage. We will wire them some money. It's always something. I told my hubby to send extra. I can't stand the thought of them having no money at all.

Edited by SerenityNOW

[i am the USC and the wife/stepmother]
The prelude - 2007
November 22 - Married in Bulgaria.
CR-1 - 2008
January 7 I-130 sent - APPROVED in 106 days.
Interview - APPROVED 175 days from NOA-1 date
ROC - 2010-2011
October 5 - I-751 sent APPROVED 111 days from NOA-1 date, no interview.
NATURALIZATION - 2012
APPROVED 79 days.
May 9 - Oath ceremony - in Oakland, CA.

*************Didn't have enough of the immigration process yet!! Starting again with 16-year-old (step)son****************
IR-2 - 2012-2013
---USCIS---
Nov 15 - I-130 sent. NOA-1 received from MSC.
Jan 22 - APPROVED 65 days from NOA-1. Never transferred to field office.
---NVC---
Feb 4 - received @ NVC
Feb 26 - Got NVC Case # and Invoice ID #
----------------------------------slowing down the process a little... stepson can't come till nearly July-----------------------------
March 19 - Sent e-mail Choice of Agent, without scan of DS-3032. Paid AOS fee ($88).
April 1 - Choice of Agent information accepted (10th "working day" to accept).
April 3 - IV invoice appeared. Paid IV fee ($230).
April 11 - Sent IV package and AOS package TOGETHER. Confirmed delivery April 15.

April 26 - Case Complete (10th working day)

May 14 - Interview date assigned (12th working day)

June 5 - Interview in Sofia - VISA GRANTED!!!

June 16 - POE @ SFO. No problems. He's a citizen now!

Oct 4 - US Passport received. (SS card received some time in the summer; had to go to SSA office to obtain)

Background:

Wife is here in US on a CR1 after completing AOS from H1B. The Boys (both under 13) are with her parents in Philippines. At one point they had H2 visas and had visited the US once under them. H2s are now expired. I have submitted 130s for each of them and they are under the dreaded “initial review” status.

So here come the questions:

1. We had a lawyer which we fired. Long story but we parted ways the morning (yes before) of my wife’s AOS interview. I handed a letter to the interviewing IO for my wife’s case and by her direction, have sent off another copy of the letter to the lockbox terminating that relationship but have gotten no confirmation from them yet after checking in. So…if the 130s complete and go to NVC without the letter catching up, do I just plan on sending them a DS-3032 to overwrite the other form (G-25 maybe) that the lawyer had included with the submission?

2. Once the approved 130s get to NVC, can I join the two 130s together? How? If so, do I just send one 864 at that point?

3. This one is specific to Manila, Has anyone had any issue with the abandonment process of one of the parents? Another long story but 8 years without contact or support. This is why I mentioned that they have had H2 visas approved as that process worked fine for approval and issuance of the H2s without a written letter from the father listed on their birth certs.

We both plan on traveling there for interviews and accompany when they come through POE.

Finished!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Finally got the letter from the NVC. I know each child needs a AOS pkg, but does any one know do I pay seperate processiong amounts for the children? The reason I asked is because everything is coming seperate for the kids and I want to pay and have them processed so they can be interviewed at the same time. Thanks for your help.

Lifting Conditions I751 Event Date CIS Office : Vermont Service CenterDate Filed : 2013-12-12NOA Date : 2013-12-30RFE(s) : Bio. Appt. : 1/29/14Interview Date :Approval / Denial Date : 4/22/14Got I551 Stamp :Green Card Received :[4/29/2014]Comments : cfmstore_flag_hybrid_ghana_america_heade<p>

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Finally got the letter from the NVC. I know each child needs a AOS pkg, but does any one know do I pay seperate processiong amounts for the children? The reason I asked is because everything is coming seperate for the kids and I want to pay and have them processed so they can be interviewed at the same time. Thanks for your help.

only one aos fee and it will link both children, i kept trying to pay them separately but it said i had already paid..the system is smart LOL but there will be two separate iv bill fees.. on your paperwork it will ask you are you applying for anyone else as well..

Timeline

only one aos fee and it will link both children, i kept trying to pay them separately but it said i had already paid..the system is smart LOL but there will be two separate iv bill fees.. on your paperwork it will ask you are you applying for anyone else as well..

Thanks dancehllquana for responding. Ok since the kids did not reach the NVC at the same time, can I just send the package with the one cover letter since the AOS fee I paid coveres both? The second childs should get here NVC number by next week. Or will they have the same NVC number? How will that work since the will have different USCIS numbers? By the way what is the cost of the IV bill fee? I have seen $230 and something about a green card fee? I will be so glad with this is over.

Lifting Conditions I751 Event Date CIS Office : Vermont Service CenterDate Filed : 2013-12-12NOA Date : 2013-12-30RFE(s) : Bio. Appt. : 1/29/14Interview Date :Approval / Denial Date : 4/22/14Got I551 Stamp :Green Card Received :[4/29/2014]Comments : cfmstore_flag_hybrid_ghana_america_heade<p>

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Thanks dancehllquana for responding. Ok since the kids did not reach the NVC at the same time, can I just send the package with the one cover letter since the AOS fee I paid coveres both? The second childs should get here NVC number by next week. Or will they have the same NVC number? How will that work since the will have different USCIS numbers? By the way what is the cost of the IV bill fee? I have seen $230 and something about a green card fee? I will be so glad with this is over.

hmmm, thats hard.. the nvc numbers will not be the same.. our boys hit nvc at the same time.. i put in one nvc number to pay and when i put in the other number to pay, it said "status paid".. maybe because the I130 asked were you filing for others, it has already been linked when it gets to NVC????

you COULD wait for the other NVC number and do them both at the same time just to be safe? it won't slow things down too much if your getting it possibly next week? OR you could go ahead and pay and send the first one now, and when the other hits NVC, print the cover letter and send at that time.. I DO KNOW they will need BOTH packets with their separate cover letters. something tells me it will STILL link the kids and only require that one $88 AOS fee even though they were done at different times.. sorry.. maybe somebody will be on soon with experience and can answer with confidence on that one..

and yes the iv bill is $230, thats where we are now.. waiting to pay that... i did read about a new green card fee somewhere on here but we werent asked for it yet.. i think that comes after or during the interview??

Timeline

hmmm, thats hard.. the nvc numbers will not be the same.. our boys hit nvc at the same time.. i put in one nvc number to pay and when i put in the other number to pay, it said "status paid".. maybe because the I130 asked were you filing for others, it has already been linked when it gets to NVC????

you COULD wait for the other NVC number and do them both at the same time just to be safe? it won't slow things down too much if your getting it possibly next week? OR you could go ahead and pay and send the first one now, and when the other hits NVC, print the cover letter and send at that time.. I DO KNOW they will need BOTH packets with their separate cover letters. something tells me it will STILL link the kids and only require that one $88 AOS fee even though they were done at different times.. sorry.. maybe somebody will be on soon with experience and can answer with confidence on that one..

and yes the iv bill is $230, thats where we are now.. waiting to pay that... i did read about a new green card fee somewhere on here but we werent asked for it yet.. i think that comes after or during the interview??

You made a good point, yes I did reference each child on the others I-130. I also read the Green Card fee was affective 1st February. It seems that the second child is going through NVC faster than the first one. So I may have that invoice by the end of the week. I will wait and see what happends when I go to pay for her. I just do not want to get two different interview dates. Thanks so much.

Background:

Wife is here in US on a CR1 after completing AOS from H1B. The Boys (both under 13) are with her parents in Philippines. At one point they had H2 visas and had visited the US once under them. H2s are now expired. I have submitted 130s for each of them and they are under the dreaded “initial review” status.

So here come the questions:

1. We had a lawyer which we fired. Long story but we parted ways the morning (yes before) of my wife’s AOS interview. I handed a letter to the interviewing IO for my wife’s case and by her direction, have sent off another copy of the letter to the lockbox terminating that relationship but have gotten no confirmation from them yet after checking in. So…if the 130s complete and go to NVC without the letter catching up, do I just plan on sending them a DS-3032 to overwrite the other form (G-25 maybe) that the lawyer had included with the submission?

2. Once the approved 130s get to NVC, can I join the two 130s together? How? If so, do I just send one 864 at that point?

3. This one is specific to Manila, Has anyone had any issue with the abandonment process of one of the parents? Another long story but 8 years without contact or support. This is why I mentioned that they have had H2 visas approved as that process worked fine for approval and issuance of the H2s without a written letter from the father listed on their birth certs.

We both plan on traveling there for interviews and accompany when they come through POE.

Had a GEAT INFOpass appointment today:

It was set for 8:10am. After security, I waited about 10 minutes for the check in guard who asked how he could help today. After talking to him about the T2 support call telling me that the file is at the asylum office, he said no it is here in this office but has not been touched. He said if I have a little time I can wait to talk to an IO. I said yes and he gave me a ticket and said to wait in the main waiting room. When my number was called, the IO looked up my files and said they have been shelved and waiting on an interview. I asked if there was some issue as I was expecting an interview as part of the consulate processing but not this part. She said to have a seat and let me pull your files. After a few minutes I was called down to the end by a supervisor who said I am looking at you files. Do you happen to have a copy of both you’re and your wife’s previous divorce decree? I promptly furnished both originals. He said let me make copies and I'll be right back. When he returned the originals I asked if the letter I wrote separating us from legal representation had caught up to the files and he said no BUT here is a piece of paper and a pen, go ahead and write one now and I'll add it to the files. He even gave me a copy of the g-28 out of one of the files so I would spell the ex-lawyer's name right. After writing the letter, he made copies and put one in each of the files. He then asked if you have 15-20 minutes, I'll go get you the approval letters now and I said of course! He came back about 15 minutes later and gave me the 130 approvals and said there you go and we will send the files out to NVC today! I thanked him profusely and was on my way. As I returned to my car, I noticed the whole experience only took 1 hour 15 minutes! Even though my 130s were in some black hole, everyone I dealt with today was totally professional, helpful, and even smiled!

Finished!

Still patiently waiting.

10/10/07 - I-129F sent to VSC

04/30/08 - POE Newark

07/06/08 - Wedding..... I'm Married Yall!!!

I130 for Minor Child

7/26/12 - Sent to Chicago Lockbox

7/30/12 - Priority date

3/15/13 - NOA2!!!!!!!

3/25/13 - NVC received my case

4/08/13 - Emailed ds3032 template

4/09/13 - NVC case number and IIN number generated

4/11/13 - aos fee bill invoiced/paid/and pkg sent

4/12/13 - aos fee paid again after being rejected/ds3032 resent and accepted

4/15/13 - aos pkg delivered/iv bill invoiced and paid

4/16/13 - iv pkg sent express mail/ aos status changed to paid

4/17/13 - iv pkg delivered/ iv status changed to paid.

4/29/13 - Case Complete!

5/10/13 - Interview notice emailed.

6/05/13 - INTERVIEW

Filed: IR-2 Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi, im new here, i hope somebody can help/answer my question. Thanks in advance!(:

anyway, my husband file i 130 for my son last oct,,us citizen petition for step child. Now we are still waiting for NOA2.

I applied for Us citizen 2 weeks ago, and already did my biometrics... When the time comes that i become us citizen assuming crossing fingers ill have my interview in june or july,

So if i become a citizen is my son automatically becom us citizen too?Hes under 18.

"I am under 18, unmarried, immigrating as the child of a U.S. citizen, and will automatically become a U.S. citizen under the Child Citizenship Act of 2000 upon my admission to the United States."--- is this applyto my son..? Granting that im already a Us citizen by the time Uscis get around of approving the I130, coz it seems like they are very slow, 5 months waiting for noa2 and when i call them they said that csc processing is 7 months???

Im actually confuse?

Filed: IR-2 Country: Uganda
Timeline

This may be a stupid question but, dose my 5yr old step daughter need to sign her G-325A. She is in Costa Rica with her grandmother.

If you are applying for a IR2 visa, then you do not file a G-325A. You only need to submit a stand alone I-130 petition.

Hi, im new here, i hope somebody can help/answer my question. Thanks in advance!(:

anyway, my husband file i 130 for my son last oct,,us citizen petition for step child. Now we are still waiting for NOA2.

I applied for Us citizen 2 weeks ago, and already did my biometrics... When the time comes that i become us citizen assuming crossing fingers ill have my interview in june or july,

So if i become a citizen is my son automatically becom us citizen too?Hes under 18.

"I am under 18, unmarried, immigrating as the child of a U.S. citizen, and will automatically become a U.S. citizen under the Child Citizenship Act of 2000 upon my admission to the United States."--- is this applyto my son..? Granting that im already a Us citizen by the time Uscis get around of approving the I130, coz it seems like they are very slow, 5 months waiting for noa2 and when i call them they said that csc processing is 7 months???

Im actually confuse?

If you become a citizen, your minor child will too, once s/he is living here in the country with you.

I just missed a call on my phone from my Senator's office, Im waiting for a call back. Not that I expect to hear anything other than that VSC is severely backlogged etc etc, but I am excited just to hear something.

04/30/08 - POE Newark

I130 for Minor Child

7/30/12 - Priority date

3/15/13 - NOA2!!!!!!!

4/29/13 - Case Complete!

6/05/13 - INTERVIEW

Thank you Lucy4, hopefully you got good news.

No good news, but there is some movement on my case today. The call was the senators office asking me for a copy of my NOA1. Not sure if that means they put a call in and needed more info, or if they were just about to start researching the case. However, this morning I received a text and email update from USCIS saying that my name changed. When I followed up with them, they assured me that it was just a touch and my case is with the adjudicator now. So I guess thats good news today.

04/30/08 - POE Newark

I130 for Minor Child

7/30/12 - Priority date

3/15/13 - NOA2!!!!!!!

4/29/13 - Case Complete!

6/05/13 - INTERVIEW

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.