all4good

What to prepare or expect on my coming interview?

17 posts in this topic

I have my citizenship interview about 2 weeks from now and I feel nervous, scared and more. I did memorize the civics questions and understand my form N-400, besides that what should I have to prepare or study or anything that the interviewer that would be possibly asks questions during my interview?

I am also confused about the civics questions, some questions there are give one or two answers only - is it possible that the interviewer ask more than what it says on the study booklet?

Like for example:

6.) What is one right or freedom from the first amendment?

There are 5 answers listed on that questions but it asks only one answer - do I have to memorize all 5 answers or just one answer? (Is it possible the interviewer would ask more than what it asks on the study booklet?)

61.) Why did the colonists fight the British?

There are three answers on this question but it does not said give one or two - do I have to memorize all three answers or I will just choose one answer?

Anyone knows please help...

I have my citizenship interview about 2 weeks from now and I feel nervous, scared and more. I did memorize the civics questions and understand my form N-400, besides that what should I have to prepare or study or anything that the interviewer that would be possibly asks questions during my interview?

I am also confused about the civics questions, some questions there are give one or two answers only - is it possible that the interviewer ask more than what it says on the study booklet?

Like for example:

There are 5 answers listed on that questions but it asks only one answer - do I have to memorize all 5 answers or just one answer? (Is it possible the interviewer would ask more than what it asks on the study booklet?)

There are three answers on this question but it does not said give one or two - do I have to memorize all three answers or I will just choose one answer?

All questions and possible answers are in the study booklet. There are no surprise questions/answers.

Just knowing one of the answers is enough. The officer will not ask you all possibilities.

For some questions, you need to learn two answers though, like name two states bordering Canada.

The questions are asking for one answer, so only memorize one (or two if you want to feel confident).

The civics exam is way easier than we expect. Just stay calm... it will go by so far that you won't even realize it.

It is good you are prepared for the N-400 answers. They sometimes like to ask questions from it and other times they don't - but if you are prepared and know what you've answered, then you are in good shape.

When you are reviewing your civics - have someone ask you questions randomly

Good luck!

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

It is good you are prepared for the N-400 answers.

100% agree with that. Go over your N-400 form and see what information you entered. In my case, the officer asked me the last date I traveled outside the US.

--

Edited by nwctzn

Filed: Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Like for example:

This is what I was initially bothered by too. Some questions are very specific about how many answers you need to give, others imply you need to know them all even though you can clearly tell they are just identical.

For example:

Who lived in America before the Europeans arrived?

- American Indians

- Native Americans

One of the answers is actually flat out wrong:

When is the last day you can send in federal income tax returns?

- April 15

Last years (2010) due date wasn't april 15th 2011 but april 18th 2011. April 15th is the default due date but it doesn't always apply like last year.

So apparently USCIS asks 100 questions it considers to be important for potential Citizens to know the answer too but failed to provide the right answer. I read that USCIS doesn't share information with the IRS (they might not like each other) but this is something anyone could have looked into before putting it on. lol

Despite all this I will still answer this question with april 15th, if asked at interview.

N-400 application timeline

02-22-2012-- (00): documents sent

02-23-2012-- (01): NOA date

02-27-2012-- (05): check cashed

03-02-2012-- (09): bio appointment notice sent, bio date 03-15 (23)

03-05-2012-- (12): bio notice received

03-06-2012-- (13): early bio

03-12-2012-- (19): in line for interview scheduling

03-21-2012-- (28): scheduled for interview

03-28-2012-- (35): interview notice received

05-02-2012-- (70): interview. Rec. for Approval!

05-16-2012-- (84): in line for oath scheduling

06-19-2012-(118): scheduled for oath

06-21-2012-(120): oath letter received

07-06-2012-(135): oath

Passport application timeline

07-10-2012-- (00): application sent (card+book/routine service)

07-17-2012-- (07): application status online

07-26-2012-- (16): application on hold (name too long)

07-28-2012-- (18): RFI Tucson passport center (proposed shortened name) letter received

07-30-2012-- (20): reply sent to Tucson passport center

08-18-2012-- (39): passport book received

08-21-2012-- (42): passport card received

08-21-2012-- (42): CON received

This is what I was initially bothered by too. Some questions are very specific about how many answers you need to give, others imply you need to know them all even though you can clearly tell they are just identical.

For example:

- American Indians

- Native Americans

- April 15

Last years (2010) due date wasn't april 15th 2011 but april 18th 2011. April 15th is the default due date but it doesn't always apply like last year.

So apparently USCIS asks 100 questions it considers to be important for potential Citizens to know the answer too but failed to provide the right answer. I read that USCIS doesn't share information with the IRS (they might not like each other) but this is something anyone could have looked into before putting it on. lol

Despite all this I will still answer this question with april 15th, if asked at interview.

just to clarify your second argument; in 2010, the last day of tax return was changed to 18th of April because Washington, D.C. celebrated Emancipation Day on April 15, a day earlier than normal, since April 16 fell on a Saturday. This is totally different case, IRS tax law states that the last day is the 15th of April.

But I agree with everybody, you should be fine if you only study from the book and know one or two answers.

- American Indians

- Native Americans

I also prefer "Native Americans" but officially "American Indians" is also accepted. As long as a "wrong" is officially accepted as right, it is "right" :)

- April 15

Yeah, but they shift it only if April 15 lands on a weekend or some other special day. IRS says that April 15 is Tax Day.

Summary: Official answers in the USCIS booklet are the right answers, at least from the interviewing officer's point of view.

--

Edited by nwctzn

I also prefer "Native Americans" but officially "American Indians" is also accepted. As long as a "wrong" is officially accepted as right, it is "right" :)

He didn't mean that question, his "One of the answers is actually flat out wrong: " was meant for the tax date ;)

N400 Timeline:

12/14/11 - Sending out N400 package

12/19/11 - Received by USCIS

12/21/11 - NOA date

12/22/11 - Check cashed

12/27/11 - Received NOA

02/06/12 - Received yellow letter (pre-interview case file review)

03/13/12 - Placed in line for interview scheduling (3 yr anniversary)

03/17/12 - Received interview letter

04/17/12 - Interview - No decision, application under further review

04/17/12 - Biometrics

04/25/12 - Placed in line for oath scheduling (so I'm approved yay!)

04/27/12 - Received oath ceremony date

05/09/12 - Oath ceremony!!

Filed: Timeline

The civic questions in the N400 interview will be fairly easy. I will suggest memorizing multiple answers if you can just to be prepared and in case you forget one you have other answers to fall back.

One more thing think for a moment before answering the question. This will help you give cohesive and correct answers.

Above all Good Luck on the interview.

~Figaro

Like for example:

Filed: Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Summary: Official answers in the USCIS booklet are the right answers, at least from the interviewing officer's point of view.

Exactly, don't take any (incl. mine) interpretations to the interview. Just answer the questions according the booklet.

N-400 application timeline

02-22-2012-- (00): documents sent

02-23-2012-- (01): NOA date

02-27-2012-- (05): check cashed

03-02-2012-- (09): bio appointment notice sent, bio date 03-15 (23)

03-05-2012-- (12): bio notice received

03-06-2012-- (13): early bio

03-12-2012-- (19): in line for interview scheduling

03-21-2012-- (28): scheduled for interview

03-28-2012-- (35): interview notice received

05-02-2012-- (70): interview. Rec. for Approval!

05-16-2012-- (84): in line for oath scheduling

06-19-2012-(118): scheduled for oath

06-21-2012-(120): oath letter received

07-06-2012-(135): oath

Passport application timeline

07-10-2012-- (00): application sent (card+book/routine service)

07-17-2012-- (07): application status online

07-26-2012-- (16): application on hold (name too long)

07-28-2012-- (18): RFI Tucson passport center (proposed shortened name) letter received

07-30-2012-- (20): reply sent to Tucson passport center

08-18-2012-- (39): passport book received

08-21-2012-- (42): passport card received

08-21-2012-- (42): CON received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Like for example:

It's normal to be nervous because there are 100 questions to memorize. I was too. Just study hard and if you read the booklet it helps a lot to understand the questions. Then memorize the questions and answers and everything will go well. If the question asks for one answer, answer one, if two, two, if three, three. If it doesn't say anything, answer the complete answer. The reading and writing portion are also easy. About the questions from the form, you'll just answer the truth, as you did before. Bring documentation. Dress like you were going to a job interview. That's it.

I forgot to mention the CD is also great to study. I started listening to everything. Then answering and then shuffling questions and answering and then listening to the answer to confirm. Even on the way to the interviewI had ear phones on and kept doing this and my husband was driving and listening to me (he said it didn't bother him though. LOL).

Good luck. :)

Edited by Lisa and Phil

Caroline (Brazil) and Phil (USA)

yPnbm4.png

2003i9szfhw0aa.jpg

f2MWm5.png

View my Timeline

I just have the questions from printing out the guide and I also found the online link in here to the questions and answers which are great cause they are asked randomly but I don't know anything about a booklet or a CD.

Where do you get this booklet and CD?

I believe they are given to you when you got for you bio app.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I have a question too, I should be getting my interview letter soon. When you go to your interview, do you get sworn in right away? Or do you get another letter in the mail to come back? I am asking because I have some travel plans next month and the month after (outside the country) and am worried I will have to turn in my green card at the interview.

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.