prashp1

After Citizenship - Social Security Question

38 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Serbia
Timeline

As a natural born US citizen was told at the ripe old age of 16, had to get an SS card before I could get a job in the salt mines. I can't think of one instance over these years where I ever showed my card to any one. Just memorized and wrote down my SS number.

Same with my wife, because of this stupid American Patriot Act, couldn't even add her to my bank account. Can tell you, I don't have 25 million bucks in my account, more like a buck eighty-nine, but in no way, could I add her to my account. Until she had that SS number. After months, we finally received her EAD card, I filled out the form for her, had her sign it, took her passport and EAD card to our SS office 37 miles away, I have to go there on business. Two weeks later she received that restricted card, but we went to my bank together. Was asked her SS number, she never showed the card, and didn't know what her SS number was, memorized that and gave it to the bank officer. She plugged that number in her computer and said it was good. Finally, my wife was on my account and had 94.5 cents to spend.

Since then, just updated that same form stored on my computer when she received her green card, took her card with me, then her certificate, just changing the date and the immigration status check box. But she has never shown her card either, even for a job application, but is always asking me what her SS number is. I think she finally memorized it now.

Something now about the DOS checking with SS about your citizenship status now as they just received a hundred million bucks from Obama to keep track of this stuff. Now I wonder why in the hell if they have that information, they still want you to mail in your original naturalization certificate that can get lost. Perhaps is the reason why I feel I live in a country ran by idiots. But have to be very careful with that experienced opinion, powerful arrogant holding an ax over your head idiots, and they don't like being called that. But nevertheless, still idiots.

Your post just made me laugh out loud. Now that I think about it I've had my S.S. card/number since Dec'98 and don't remember a time where I had to show the card to anyone, infact it stays in the house I never take it anywhere but I do remember the number.

[font="Century Gothic"]Married March 27, 2010
Sent out I-130 December 29, 2010
Recieved NOA 1 January 4, 2011
Touched January 6, 2011
Recieved NOA 2 May 9, 2011
Interview September 27, 2011
Visa in hand Septmeber 30, 2011 (it would of been the same day as the interview but they requested some more info)
POE - JFK, NYC October 12, 2011 [/font]

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;0;23/st/20100327/e/Since+our+wedding/k/ccbb/event.png[/img]
[/url]

Your post just made me laugh out loud. Now that I think about it I've had my S.S. card/number since Dec'98 and don't remember a time where I had to show the card to anyone, infact it stays in the house I never take it anywhere but I do remember the number.

Same here. Was never asked for the card. However, you could use it together with your driver's license for I-9 verification purposes.

• 1 year later...

That makes no sense.

SSA does not confirm citizenship status, only the original Certificate of Citizenship that you send them does. SSA would be better first only because you don't have to hand out you CoN. My parents did their passport, express of course and everything was fine. SSA can be updated after passport in my opinion.

Finally, the reason SSA gets updated is not to "un-restrict" it because it already is, however it is to gain FULL social security benefits now that you are a U.S. Citizen.

I have heard it's better to do SSA first and then US passport.

I have heard that sometimes the US passport processing will get delayed or sent back since their database won't be able to confirm the immigration status of US citizenship - which comes from SSA. Does anyone know if this is true or not?

I am not sure if I should apply for a US passport or wait until SSA part is completed.

Citizenship Timeline

06/19/2013: N-400 Mailed

06/24/2013: Electronic Notification of Acceptance

06/24/2013: Status: Initial Review

07/18/2013: Biometrics Appointment in Elizabeth NJ

07/22/2013: Status: In line for Interview Scheduling

08/14/2013: Status: Interview Scheduled

09/23/2013: Interview date and Oath Ceremony - APPROVED

09/27/2013: Applied for first U.S. Passport at local USPS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Revived 16-month-old thread moved from main USC forum to the "Passports, Etc." subforum. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

• 2 years later...

Right after my oath ceremony I went to the social security office. The person copied the CON and told me that it would be updated in a couple weeks and that I would not receive a new card (had already removed DHS warning when became LPR). I actually received a confirmation letter in the mail that my status was updated to citizen.

Then I walked over to the DMV and updated my info there (same day).

Two days after my oath I went to the passport agency in Manhattan (was passport day and there were no lines) and four days later received my passport, passport card, and CON in the mail. No, I didn't expedite or pay overnight delivery...

Did you go to SSA office in Brooklyn? The reason i am asking because there are people on this board who weren't allowed to get their SSA records updated until USCIS updated their records in 10 days or something. Ideally to save time , updating SSN should be a priority, then go to DMV and apply for enhanced Driver license and finally mail out the app for passport since it requires the original CoN. All three can be done on the same day without taking time off from work on another day.

Edited by particle

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Yes SSA in Brooklyn. The certificate was copied by the worker and updated a couple weeks later. After which I received snail mail confirmation that my status was updated to citizen.

May 20, 2008: Green card approved

N-400

February 22, 2011: Sent N-400 VAWA package

February 23, 2011: FedEx package signed for and delivered

March 15, 2011: Email NOA

March 15, 2011: Check cashed

March 17, 2011: Email re: Fingerprint Notice mailed out

March 18, 2011: NOA received (Notice Date 03/14; Priority Date: 02/23)

March 23, 2011: Biometrics notice received for 03/31

March 31, 2011: Biometrics completed

July 5, 2011: Online status: Now scheduled for interview

July 12, 2011: Received interview letter finally!

August 11, 2011: Interview Date (Garden City) - PASSED!!!

August 15, 2011: In line to be scheduled for Oath

August 16, 2011: Oath scheduled, notice sent

August 20, 2011: Oath notice received

September 15, 2011: Oath ceremony @ 8:30 AM

September 17, 20011: Passport application

September 21, 2011: Passport received

Yes SSA in Brooklyn. The certificate was copied by the worker and updated a couple weeks later. After which I received snail mail confirmation that my status was updated to citizen.

thanks for clearing that up...one more question, what is a passport day? How were you able to get your passport so fast lol

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Passport day is usually in February I think. The year I naturalized it was postponed until September because they had thought that the would be a government shut down. Passport day is when you don't need an appointment to go to the passport agency to apply. It made my life much simpler

May 20, 2008: Green card approved

N-400

February 22, 2011: Sent N-400 VAWA package

February 23, 2011: FedEx package signed for and delivered

March 15, 2011: Email NOA

March 15, 2011: Check cashed

March 17, 2011: Email re: Fingerprint Notice mailed out

March 18, 2011: NOA received (Notice Date 03/14; Priority Date: 02/23)

March 23, 2011: Biometrics notice received for 03/31

March 31, 2011: Biometrics completed

July 5, 2011: Online status: Now scheduled for interview

July 12, 2011: Received interview letter finally!

August 11, 2011: Interview Date (Garden City) - PASSED!!!

August 15, 2011: In line to be scheduled for Oath

August 16, 2011: Oath scheduled, notice sent

August 20, 2011: Oath notice received

September 15, 2011: Oath ceremony @ 8:30 AM

September 17, 20011: Passport application

September 21, 2011: Passport received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.