MTLNB

Need Help! - How does one get details of Travel into the USA and other countries visited??

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I was wondering how on earth anyone can list how many times someone has been to and from the USA over the span of 10 years? I live in Montreal and I have been going to the USA at least 2-3 times per year over the past 10 years but have no idea on the specific dates that one of the forms is asking for.

As well, on the DS-157 form it is asking to list all of the countries you've entered in the last 10 years and to list the years. Once again,I've been travelling to different destinations yearly, some of them multiple times but do not have the years. The only way for me to get that information would be for me to have access to the pics I took on vacation, however, I am currently in final stages of a long divorce and my soon to be Ex will not give me the pics of our trips to be able to help me out.

I am frustrated beyond belief and am worried that if I don't have every country and correct date or every date I entered into the USA over the past 10 years that I'll have a problem with the visa going forward.

Does anyone have any suggestions or comments as to what they did?

Looking forward to any help.

Thanks

MTLNB

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I am from Ireland, but had a similar problem as I travelled a lot on the VWP for vacations and business meetings. I wrote down as many visits as I could remember from email itinaries, blog posts, credit card bills and passport stamps (this required additional pages of course), then at the end wrote "these are the visits I remember to the best of my recollection. There may have been more, but none over 2 weeks." There were no questions/ comments on this.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

I am from Ireland, but had a similar problem as I travelled a lot on the VWP for vacations and business meetings. I wrote down as many visits as I could remember from email itinaries, blog posts, credit card bills and passport stamps (this required additional pages of course), then at the end wrote "these are the visits I remember to the best of my recollection. There may have been more, but none over 2 weeks." There were no questions/ comments on this.

Wow, Thanks Penguin, I appreciate your help. I was so worried.

The process and forms are so daunting!

I appreciate your feedback and to know it was such an easy process for you.

Kind regards,

Natascha

I had the exact same problems. I lived in Montreal and frequently visited Plattsburgh, NY as well as Florida. Here's the additional sheet I wrote up to answer a question about previous visits to the US: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lNEm0btviWXw89jNWv0fh1sgPpo8-f2DpVXdv3SFWss/edit Make note that I listed a few of the recent ones and then included a paragraph.

Saylin, This is so helpful. Thank you so much! I would assume I could do the same for my visits to other countries in the past 10 years as well then?

Yup, should work with other countries as well. But isn't the question only about previous visits to the US?

Timeline

I found another form that was asking for travel in the past 10 years outside of home country...can't remember the form# anymore.

(I am getting way ahead of the process, but I want to know everything in advance) also, for the DS-230 for packet 3 is it true I only need to fill out part I? What about part II?

I found another form that was asking for travel in the past 10 years outside of home country...can't remember the form# anymore.

(I am getting way ahead of the process, but I want to know everything in advance) also, for the DS-230 for packet 3 is it true I only need to fill out part I? What about part II?

I wonder what form is that... But, I'm only familiar with IR-1/CR-1 forms, so...

For K-1 visas, I believe you only fill out part 1 and not part 2.

It's called form DS-157

U.S. Department of State

SUPPLEMENTAL NONIMMIGRANT VISA APPLICATION

Not sure if it is needed or not...urgh...sooooooooo confusing!

sorry to be a pest.

Unfortunately, I can't help. I'm not a K1 expert :P

I'm wondering the same thing as I travelled a ton in the last 10 years.

My fiancee was studying her master degree in London in 2011, so I visited London like every 2-3 weeks.

Do I have to individually list all those trips? or can I just write 10 trips to London in 2011?

Thanks

I'm wondering the same thing as I travelled a ton in the last 10 years.

My fiancee was studying her master degree in London in 2011, so I visited London like every 2-3 weeks.

Do I have to individually list all those trips? or can I just write 10 trips to London in 2011?

Thanks

List as many as you can remember. Then include a paragraph saying how long you've been visiting and how often for the other dates that you don't remember. Did you look at the link I posted in here earlier?

Timeline

List as many as you can remember. Then include a paragraph saying how long you've been visiting and how often for the other dates that you don't remember. Did you look at the link I posted in here earlier?

Hi Saylin,

I am curious to know why it takes sooooooooo long to go the CR1 route? I would figure if you're already married that it would go quicker. Also, I've heard of people getting everything done within 4 months...is this even possible? Were you or your hubby able to travel to see each other even though you were already married and did this cause problems crossing the border?

MTLNB

Hi Saylin,

I am curious to know why it takes sooooooooo long to go the CR1 route? I would figure if you're already married that it would go quicker. Also, I've heard of people getting everything done within 4 months...is this even possible? Were you or your hubby able to travel to see each other even though you were already married and did this cause problems crossing the border?

MTLNB

Well, since there's a backlog at USCIS, it typically takes around 5 months to get an approval of the petition there. Then the NVC process takes awhile as you have to send in documents and pay fees. Then you have to wait for an interview. It takes awhile because there's multiple steps, with some being backlogged.

Getting everything done in 4 months without an expedite for an IR-1/CR-1 route is very rare. You'd have to get really lucky at USCIS and get a quick approval. Then you'd have to zoom through NVC and get a quick interview date.

I got denied twice at the border trying to visit my husband in the US, so I stopped trying after the second denial. From then on, my husband had to come visit me. He had problems the first time (was held in secondary for about an hour), but managed to get through to Canada. While I was in Canada for 9 months for this process, he came to visit me five times. Look at my timeline below in my signature for specifics. You're legally allowed to visit each other, but it will ALWAYS be up to the officer whether or not to let you through.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.