9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Hopefully I created this topic in the right place...

So I finally found someone who makes enough and is willing to co-sponsor my fiance... But he's has a unique case as well... He was married to a USC and then after a few years got divorced because she cheated on him... He filed to remove conditions on his green card as divorced. He's still waiting for the approval, he sent his paperwork through an attorney in February. He says he's scared that signing me an affidavit of support will affect him negatively in USCIS's decision of approving or denying his permanent green card...

I believe it won't affect it as long as he makes enough (above poverty 125% poverty line) to sponsor my fiance as well. What do you guys think?

Jan 5, 2012: Mailed I-129F

Jan 7, 2012: Received

Jan 10, 2012: Text and e-mail confirmation received

Jan 14, 2012: NOA1 received in the mail

Mar 29, 2012: Expedite request made

Apr 5, 2012: Expedite request approved

Apr 6, 2012: I-129F approved!

Apr 11, 2012: NVC received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

What does he have to show his PR status?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

I'm guessing his green card?

He's legally in US and legally working and legally everything else... We just want to know if it will affect USCIS's decision to approve his permanent GC if he signs us an affidavit of support...

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

PR can sponsor others, but you should have some form of connection to them and be able to show it (they always ask why this person would risk their money for you....). As long as he makes enough to support himself and you I don't know why it would be a problem with uscis and his case... But things would be a lot simpler if you found a usc or even a pr that has already removed conditions to help you out. Anyway if I am wrong and somehow missed something one of the other users will chime in. Good luck

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

PR can sponsor others, but you should have some form of connection to them and be able to show it (they always ask why this person would risk their money for you....). As long as he makes enough to support himself and you I don't know why it would be a problem with uscis and his case... But things would be a lot simpler if you found a usc or even a pr that has already removed conditions to help you out. Anyway if I am wrong and somehow missed something one of the other users will chime in. Good luck

You are wrong. The joint sponsor need only be a US citizen or LPR over the age of 18. There is no need to show any special connection. A friend can be a joint sponsor.

Timeline

So it won't affect UCIS's decision on his GC at all?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

You are wrong. The joint sponsor need only be a US citizen or LPR over the age of 18. There is no need to show any special connection. A friend can be a joint sponsor.

There have been tons of people that are specifically asked who their sponsor is and why they would do it.... I know I was one of them. If the vo doesn't like the answer you don't get approved, it is that simple. Does that mean you have to prove some long close relationship? No, but you have to at least give something.....

Timeline

No. Why would it? If he makes enough, then what's the problem?

That's what I thought too... But he still wants to wait until he receives his GC before signing anything, just to make sure... How long is the wait to remove conditions?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.