waiting-1

10 years card after 2nd marriage anniversary

12 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline

Our 2 year anniversary is two weeks after our interview,

Our Interviewing Officer Approved us bu the eaid he will wait to file the approval until after our 2 year Anniversary Oct. 15th,

He said by doing us that favor we will get the Permanant GC instead of conditional and have to reapply 2 years later for Perm.

If you can wait until after your 2 year anniv. it is better, My wife has been in Usa for over 2 years we waited to file until just beofre our 2 year annivsersary for this reason, we didnt realise the process would be so fast ( only 96 days from filing to interview) other wise we would not have file duntil mid July.

See our time line below

gewelcome-vi.gif

3dflagsdotcom_japan_2faws-vi.gif

IMPORTANT NOTICE:Like you all, I am not an attorney ; I am a layperson (I have laid a lot of persons ) My advice is based on Experience obtained by filing ourselves

AOS met in Japan 1994 married 10/2004

DO:Los Angeles,Ca.

6/17/06 Forms Sent (I-130, I-485, and I-765)

6/19/06 RD I-130,I-485, I-765

6/26/06 NOA rcvd

7/15/06 Biometrics complete Day 22

8/4/06 Interview Notice Rcvd Day 42

9/9/06 EAD Card Received :)Day 78

9/13/06 SS Card Received :)Day 82

9/27/06 AOS Interview Los Angeles APPROVED LPR Day 96

12/04/06 Welcome To the United States Letter received

12/08/06 Green Card Received- expires 12/2016

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

unless they can interview me within the next 20 days, (not likely as New Orleans office is going backward on the USCIS website for processing and they seem to be cancelling more appointments than issueing), then I will be eligible for the 10 year card. I am yet to receive an interview date.

I did the same as the addie to avoid having to resubmit those papers having come on the K3 visa, unfortunately, I didnt realise that processing for NO was so horrible... they will be blaming Katrina for years to come me thinks...

I dear say that most people who come on the K3 would probably fall into the 10 year category, unless youdo get lucky with your local office...

Looking at the above.. I wonder if my hubbies company has anoffice in Los Angeles ;)

I 130 & I129F (K3) and AOS info in timeline

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

I got my 10-yr GC since the interview was waaayyy after my 2nd anniversary (it was only 3 mths before my 3rd). But I came here as K3, and we had to wait for almost 1 year to get the AOS interview date.

Me- Indonesia & hubby - US

married in Vancouver, Canada

USCIS-free for 10 years !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Waiting for when I can apply for my 10 year. . . we applied for AOS 3 weeks after our marriage - and it was approved 3 weeks before our 2nd anniversary. Got the conditional card. Big sigh.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
If you can wait until after your 2 year anniv. it is better,

Well, in this one way, maybe. But, there are other things to think about.

Like, what happens to Wife if Husband gets knocked down by a bus before her AOS interview? You might not like the answer---she is removable. USC kidlet or not.

There are a number of other rare, but serious side effects to trying to ply the CIS time game. For the lousey $205 that the I-751 costs, it's worth it to get PR status for your spouse ASAP.

IMO. :)

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Timeline

Well you make an interesting point,

We chose to wait to file not juts to avoid the costs but mostly to be done with the process for 10 years,

We plan on moving to Japan to live for 3-5 years in the near future, It is nice to be over and done with the process for 10 years!

gewelcome-vi.gif

IMPORTANT NOTICE:Like you all, I am not an attorney ; I am a layperson (I have laid a lot of persons ) My advice is based on Experience obtained by filing ourselves

6/26/06 NOA rcvd

Timeline

We chose to wait to file not juts to avoid the costs but mostly to be done with the process for 10 years,

We plan on moving to Japan to live for 3-5 years in the near future, It is nice to be over and done with the process for 10 years!

not to argue, but to finish my thought.. :)

Filing I-751 is nothing like the hassle of petitioning, visa app or AOS. It's a very simple petition and you include evidence that you handle on a monthly basis (bills), so no going digging for things you don't have, or applying for replacement documentation.

I want everyone to know that it's not the big deal they may think.

While there is certainly value in being 'done' for 10 years (or less if one plans to naturalize), people should weigh both sides and be aware of some of the very nasty consequences of living in legal limbo until the 2nd anniversary, only for the sake of avoiding perceived hassle or a couple hundred bucks.

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

Filed: Timeline

Addie_Goocvibes,

Be careful, so that you don't find yourself starting over at the end of those 3-5 years.

Yodrak

Timeline
What happens if couple had their AOS interview pending FBI name check and then something happens to USC spouse before approval? what would be the recourse of the alien in a situation like that? does immigration law say anything about this?

Yes. CIS is Yoda-like this way. You are adjusted or not adjusted. There is no 'try'.

Married less than two years, you are not 'the real deal'. There were several local cases like this in my city, happened to all be foreign widows. They were all sent 'home', even the one who has lived here for 20 years and is a fixture of the downtown business community. 60 something years old, and they put her on a bus to Canada.

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

Timeline
Addie_Goocvibes,

Be careful, so that you don't find yourself starting over at the end of those 3-5 years.

Yodrak[

We have already been approved for LPR we are aware that we have to travel to & from USA in order to maintain valid GC.

Thank you for advice and MEUXNA has valid points ,However while we were in "legal Limbo" we were fortunate and if my wife had Not been pregnant then things may have turned out differently, She had no choice but to overstay once she was pregnant and expereincing Severe morning sickness. We took a chance & Although while she had overstayed & Awaiting adjustment of status

She did not work or receive ANY Govt. or state benefits as that would be a violation of US immigration laws.

The major difference between an immigrant who has overstayed a legal entry Visa VS an illegal undocumented immigrant who enteres without Visa or inspection then takes adavnatge of Govt. / State benefits.

She could have gotten medical or other free medical care but did NOT, we paid over 3200.00 to have our daughter so as not to receive any Govt. or state Aid while she was out of status!

We also knew once we got interview our history of 12 + years together and our Baby Daughter we be enough evidence to support her case, she was not even question about "intentions to immigrate on a non immigrant visa.

MEUXNA's point and advise is correct and in Majority of cases is the right way to go.

gewelcome-vi.gif

6/26/06 NOA rcvd

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.