Sveta & Ron

some countries

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Not really, no. The procedure is identical for all countries, the adjudicators really pay little attention to that. If all goes well and all is there and the background checks pass, the petition is approved in about 20 minutes maybe less.

SOME countries are prone to generate more "hits" on background checks due to name similarities etc and IF a manual background check is needed and IF that involves getting some information from that country and IF that country is slow in responding, then yes, you could say that the country had some affect on it.

But if you think that Ukraine will go thorugh faster because it is Ukraine or Afghanistan goes through slower because it is Afghanistan...no.

The same CAN NOT be said for consulate procedures. Kiev is very prompt in making interviews, certainly one of the fastest and has a very low rate of AP cases, so in that regard you are fortunate. For USCIS...nope.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Remember that a eptition is ONLY a process to see if you qualify to APPLY for a particular visa, it is NOT a visa, USCIS does not ever issue visas. Your only obligation is to show that you meet the qualifications for your fiancee to apply for a visa. USCIS does only very brief background checks at the petition phase (they are thorough but computer generated and fast). More are done by NVC and the consulate and more later for AOS, RoC and Citizenship. So there really is nothing in the petition process which would be affected by the country of the foreign beneficiary. It is not an issue for the petition.

Gary And Alla

each phase does it's own back ground check? and each phase is more detail? and no there is nothing in my closet i am worried about lol sometimes i ask questions so i know and maybe be of help to someone else

now i re-read your post do i understand correct uscis makes choice if from my background to rather allow sveta to file for k1 visa or not then nvc and ect... does background checks on her from that point or they do more on me also?

Edited by Sveta & Ron

Timeline

each phase does it's own back ground check? and each phase is more detail? and no there is nothing in my closet i am worried about lol sometimes i ask questions so i know and maybe be of help to someone else

Yes, absolutely. There are background checks over and over because USCIS does not have all the resources that NVC does, that consulates in countries do. So yes, of course, they do many background checks and more at each step. AOS, RoC, Citizenship. This is only the beginning, you do this for four years (off and on) Alla just took her citizenship oath today and they did ANOTHER background check to see if she did anything bad between her interview and today! Done! Finally! Just over four years from when I first sent the petition.

And at ANY of these steps there can be delays. There was just recently a thread from a member that was tied up in the Ukraine consulate for nearly a year, maybe more than a year for background checks. They finally approved the visa with NO EXPLANATION of what held it up, they do not tell you. You sit down, STFU and wait! And that is how they roll. NO ONE will challenge them because they have a duty to protect the country and that's that. Not saying it will happen to you, that is very rare, but it could.

Gary And Alla

thought took 10 years for citizenship guess i was told wrong in anycase happy for you and alla fyi gary i do think about the advice you had given and I talk to sveta often about what she would like to do once she is here and i advice her things that i feel should be done ( from advice from you )

thought took 10 years for citizenship guess i was told wrong in anycase happy for you and alla fyi gary i do think about the advice you had given and I talk to sveta often about what she would like to do once she is here and i advice her things that i feel should be done ( from advice from you )

Took me 8 because I was too lazy to file for citizenship for 3 years. If you enter on K-1 Visa your are eligible to apply 3 years after AOS is approved. In my case I entered by DIV Lottery so I was elligible after 5 and still took another 3 to file :)

What part of country you are from?

event.png

event.png

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your paths." (Proverbs 3, 5-6)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Someone who acquires permanent residence through marriage to a US citizen is eligible to apply for citizenship three years after becoming a permanent resident if they are still married to that US citizen. Everyone else is eligible to apply for citizenship five years after they become a permanent resident. There are continuous residence and physical presence requirements, as well. For example, the clock stops if you've been outside the US for more than six months, and resumes when you return. You also must have spent at least half of the time you were a permanent resident physically present in the US.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

i have been wondering if the country makes a differance as to how quick the petition goes thru uscis?

I think that no matter the country, in my country have approved many cases before mine, and I still waiting, also has to see if they make an RFE, it may take a little time.

Glory To God,thank you sweet Lord.

Noa1:july 2011

Rfe:december 2011

Noa2:may 2012

Interview:september 2012:Aprobado.

Timeline

Citizensip for the SPOUSE of a US citizen and any of her children UNDER age 18 is possible after 3 years of permanent residency, three years married to the petitioner and three years "continuous presence" (no absences more than 6 months) in the US. Children over 18 wait 5 years. All other LPRs wait 5 years.

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.