Erin & Marc

HELP! Car Import from Canada to U.S.

70 posts in this topic

no it would be if you had bought a car to register. Then you pay the sales tax. You wouldn't pay a sales tax when you already owned the car, which is why you need proof that you already owned it.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

• 1 month later...
Filed: TN Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi, I will also import a 2012 Toyota Sienna to the States. We just got the compliance letter and it also says that

"...complies with all applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (“FMVSS”), save and except the following:
1) Certain minor labeling requirements contained in FMVSS101 (Controls and Displays) pertaining to the instrument panel".

The letter does not say what I should do with this label. Could anyone please let me know if we need to do anything to meet the requirement?

Thanks!!!!! (F) (F) (F)

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Has anyone had any luck with the tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) issue? I'm trying to import my 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT. I got a compliance letter from Hyundai Canada stating that the car complies with the FMVSS except for FMVSS 138 (TPMS).

I'm not sure what to do now. I spoke to a Hyundai dealer in Indiana who said the TPMS could be retrofitted but would be very expensive.

I still have quite a large loan on the car, and it would be a real pain to have to sell it in Canada.

No you need to have it. Just like running lights are mandatory in Canada. TPMS is mandatory in the USA.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

• 5 years later...

Hi all,

Seems like old thread but if some one reads my question please help. I recently bought the Hyundai Palisade and it has TPMS and option to convert to MPH. However, I have lien on the vehicle and also i have not received the compliance letter from Hyundai USA.

We want to move to Illinois, USA in 2 weeks so any advice and help will be appreciated. Is it possible to drive it to Chicago and worry about registering and stuff later?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 3/7/2022 at 8:33 PM, Srazaabidi1 said:

Hi all,

Seems like old thread but if some one reads my question please help. I recently bought the Hyundai Palisade and it has TPMS and option to convert to MPH. However, I have lien on the vehicle and also i have not received the compliance letter from Hyundai USA.

We want to move to Illinois, USA in 2 weeks so any advice and help will be appreciated. Is it possible to drive it to Chicago and worry about registering and stuff later?

You should probably fill out your timeline: https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=414993

You will have to ask your finance company whether or not you are allowed to import the vehicle.  If they say no, you're going to have to figure out how to pay it off or sell it.  You won't be able to register it in the US without permission from the lienholder.  

You need the compliance letter to import the vehicle, the bill of sale and the EPA and DOT forms.  https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/importing-car  You will have to pay taxes on the vehicle as well.  

The CBP officer *might* let you across without importing it, but it's at their discretion.  If you're activating an immigrant visa, they may not allow you to bring it across temporarily.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.