Erin & Marc

HELP! Car Import from Canada to U.S.

70 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

FWIW. I will be driving over my 05 Ford Freestar and it has the EPA and FMVSS stickers under the hood.

I am not planning on getting any compliance letter, as it is as plain as day right on the vehicle already so it should not be required. Also the speedo shows both km and mph and the digital odometer can be flipped from KM to Miles at the touch of a button.

I only plan on doing the HS7 and going on my way.

Erin&Marc if you are in OK and looking for a state inspection, head South to TX. They require a safety every couple of years, I know I will have to have one done before I can register my vehicles there.

I am poe ing on soon so I will let you know if I have any problems

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Just an update....

Had no problems at all. Rolled up the the customs both with our sealed packet, and visas. The dude says "what are you doing with the vehicle?" To which I wanted to reply - driving it...duh! lol

But I kept my composure and said I was importing it. He asked if I have paperwork for it. I told him that it was already properly labeled with FMVSS and EPA stickers under the hood and that I was going to go fill out the HS7 form.

That seemed to be enough to satisfy him and we were pulled over into secondary to go thru all the normal paperwork to poe.

The guy inside asked me to fill out a paper which I assume was the HS7 (they had a cheat sheet made up with only the areas I needed to fill in highlighted on it to look at/copy) I put my info on it and once we were done all the other processing the guy gave me 2 printed copies of a document showing I legally imported the vehicle (duty free of course) and we where on our way.

:thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Just an update....

Had no problems at all. Rolled up the the customs both with our sealed packet, and visas. The dude says "what are you doing with the vehicle?" To which I wanted to reply - driving it...duh! lol

But I kept my composure and said I was importing it. He asked if I have paperwork for it. I told him that it was already properly labeled with FMVSS and EPA stickers under the hood and that I was going to go fill out the HS7 form.

That seemed to be enough to satisfy him and we were pulled over into secondary to go thru all the normal paperwork to poe.

The guy inside asked me to fill out a paper which I assume was the HS7 (they had a cheat sheet made up with only the areas I needed to fill in highlighted on it to look at/copy) I put my info on it and once we were done all the other processing the guy gave me 2 printed copies of a document showing I legally imported the vehicle (duty free of course) and we where on our way.

:thumbs:

Toyota won't give me a compliance letter so was curious to read your experience of crossing without one. Did they actually inspect your car to look for the stickers? Do you think they really cared if both were on there or if it was just one? I have the Canadian equivalent for safety on my door but not the American one (I do have the EPA sticker though).

Time to go find the HS7 form to see if I can actually fill it out with info about the car I own.

VeeNDee

April 23, 2013 - AOS interview - Approved!

January 26, 2015 - Mailed off ROC Application

June 30, 2015 - 10 year greencard in hand

January 25, 2016 - N400 Application Mailed

May 11, 2016 - Citizenship Interview + same-day Oath ceremony!

Timeline

So I looked up the HS7 form - interesting and informative. Pretty sure with the stickers on my car I'd need to check off option 2B - conforms to Canadian safety standards. And then underneath it says: Attachment: Copy of manufacturer's confirmation letter.

:angry: :angry: :angry:

Why Toyota why...

I wonder if you can check that off without having a confirmation letter... Do they NEED an attachment? I have a Canadian safety sticker on the door, just not a letter from Toyota.

By the way I found the HS7 form on the nhtsa.gov site:

www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/hs799short.pdf

VeeNDee

Does the car has to be in used by importer for more than a year otherwise pay 2.5% duty on it?

Depends on where it was made. If in N. America then there is no duty due to NAFTA. Otherwise yes it's around 2.5% (the first $1000 in value has a different formula, the rest is 2.5% http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/trade/basic_trade/importing_car.xml#DutiableEntry).

I have a 2010 VW GTI that I cannot import to the states. I don't have the FMVSS sticker on my car and VW America sent me a very formal *non* compliance letter stating that I meet everything except for a new FMVSS rule that requires tire pressure monitoring sensors (TPMS) on all new cars since 2008. The joke is that it's a software based system that has been disabled on the canadian models to save VW $5 along with a missing reset button (another $5). I can retrofit the reset button get the engine software changed in about 2 minutes ... for about $100 all in. However, it doesn't matter because unless you can get the compliance letter from the manufacturer, (and no FMVSS sticker), then you have to get a registered importer (RI) to certify that the car meets all FMVSS. The process is long and expensive and simply not worth it. Really really annoying.

It sounds like the CBP guy didn't do his job and verify that the FMVSS sticker was on GitmeOutaHere's car, even though it was legit. I suppose you could play dumb, claim that the car has the sticker, and hope that your CBP guy also doesn't check. And end up with your signed HS-7 form which is what you need to import your vehicle. Maybe I should just do that ...

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

I don't know if they were just too lazy to go check my stickers or if they just took my word for it or what?

Also I have just found out this week when I went to get plates for my vehicle that what they gave me was not an HS7, but was still good enough for them give me my plates.

What I got when I crossed over and imported my vehicle says it is a CBP Form 7501. I have no idea why they gave me this form to fill out and not an HS7, but I was ready to fight them on the letter thing if they pushed the issue. I guess the good thing about my Ford is that it does have all the proper stickers and can easily be proven to be EPA and FMVSS compliant, not bad for a 7 year old vehicle

Timeline

On a side note, I also have a 95 Mercedes Benz that I brought down with me, however I did not want to bring them both at the same time. The other "issue" I had was trying to get the vehicle into the US before actually legally entering on a visa myself....I entered as a visitor about 1 month before I got my visa and we rented a place, I left it down south and flew back to Canada, so it never got imported properly....

I went to get plates and told them I did not have an HS7 for it.

I had to go to the CBP office at the airport. I had called ahead and he asked if I had a letter from the manufacturer, I told him I did not, I told him it had an EPA sticker but only the Canadian VSS sticker on it not the American one. He said that would be fine since the Canadian and US regulations were close enough (lol...lucky for me) I wasted no time in getting to the CBP office and fortunately got the same guy that answered the phone when I called. He took my registration from Ontario, and my passport with my visa in it, and I also gave him my newly acquired insurance card to shown I now have insurance here in Texas and it verified my US address. He came back in about 10 mins with a HS7 all filled out (box 2B) and I was on my way. He did not want to see the vehicle or anything either. So I will go and get my plates for this one next week.

The only other weird thing they also do here is to have the "Sheriff" check the vehicle to verify the VIN plate is attached and is the same as the one on the paperwork to make sure it is legit.

Unfortunately, they only do this on Wednesdays between 8am and 11 am. So it can sometimes take a few days to get everything done.

Timeline

I went to get plates and told them I did not have an HS7 for it.

I had to go to the CBP office at the airport. I had called ahead and he asked if I had a letter from the manufacturer, I told him I did not, I told him it had an EPA sticker but only the Canadian VSS sticker on it not the American one. He said that would be fine since the Canadian and US regulations were close enough (lol...lucky for me) I wasted no time in getting to the CBP office and fortunately got the same guy that answered the phone when I called. He took my registration from Ontario, and my passport with my visa in it, and I also gave him my newly acquired insurance card to shown I now have insurance here in Texas and it verified my US address. He came back in about 10 mins with a HS7 all filled out (box 2B) and I was on my way. He did not want to see the vehicle or anything either. So I will go and get my plates for this one next week.

Awesome-thanks for the update! I hope I'll get some officer in an easygoing mood like that :)

VeeNDee

Timeline

FWIW... I purposely did not import my car the correct way.

We came down about 1 month before I got my visa and rented a place to live. We got shot down at interview over domicile because my USC sponsor and I were still living in canada and we/she had no official "residence" here. We needed to prove domicile and send in documentation to satisfy Montreal.

We ended up making the 2500 km drive and leaving our car in Texas and flying back home.

Fortunately they didn't question us too much about why we were entering because we were going to just use the "shopping" excuse because they really grilled us when we came down a month previous to our interview when we were still looking for a place. We had a place on paper at the interview, but my petitioner did not have a drivers license of anything else to prove domicile, and the "intent" was not enough. So on our 2nd trip down we drove the car and left it and I figured I would worry about getting it registered later, and worse case scenario sell it for parts if I could not register it legally.

Fortunately for me it worked out OK and the CBP at the airport were much nicer than the ones at the Ambassador Bridge. I did do everything the right way with our other vehicle because it was worth more than my car. So it worked out OK. Good luck to everyone!!

Just got my 1o year permanent resident card today too.

Life is Good!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I have a couple questions, also. The border doesn't like me as it is so I don't want to complicate things for myself. Pretty much every time I cross, they pull me over and search my vehicle, so I guess I better get the right paperwork, I don't feel like winging it!

I have a 1999 Pontiac Montana which I want to import. It's in my dad's name right now, but I kind of commanded it and he said he'd sign it over to me. It has the US EPA sticker, but no FMVSS sticker. How long will it take me to get a paper from GM? If all goes well at the Embassy I plan to go across ASAP!

Also, I have a 2011 single axle trailer and a 2004 Kawasaki KFX ATV I plan to bring with me when I come in on the K1. Do I need any special papers for those?

Edit:// I also plan on filling my van and my trailer with as much of my stuff as possible seeing as my US Fiance hasn't moved into his own place yet. We're waiting to move in together and I have a house full of furniture whereas he only has his personal belongings. Anything special I need to know about bringing it all down with me?

Edited by codygrace

Filed: Timeline

Also, I have a 2011 single axle trailer and a 2004 Kawasaki KFX ATV I plan to bring with me when I come in on the K1. Do I need any special papers for those?

Edit:// I also plan on filling my van and my trailer with as much of my stuff as possible seeing as my US Fiance hasn't moved into his own place yet. We're waiting to move in together and I have a house full of furniture whereas he only has his personal belongings. Anything special I need to know about bringing it all down with me?

Some good links for you:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/452/kw/atv

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/421/kw/moving

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/107/kw/moving/related/1

iagree.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

OP, you've got me scared! I'm about to start working on getting my Hyundai into the States....did you call Hyundai originally? Just wondering where to start...phone call/email.

Also, how long did it take to receive the letter, and what was the cost?

Were you able to figure it out? I've just received my NOA2 and I'm looking into what I need to do to import my Hyundai Accent 2003. I got the Hyundai Canada compliance letter, but nothing on there about it's being US compliant. Hyundai USA said they couldn't give me info; they only referred me to a Registered Importer. I don't want to go that route though. It seems unnecessary.

• 1 year later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I will be moving at the end of next month, entering the U.S. on my K-1 Visa. While I have yet to fill out the government-issued paperwork for importing a vehicle, this is what I did to get the letter of compliance from Acura/Honda in the U.S.

1. I called Acura Canada about the letter (my vehicle, an '05 Acura EL, was only ever made in Canada). They provided me with a letter of compliance for Canada, but not the U.S. (see #2)

2. I called Acura/Honda in the U.S. about the need to import my vehicle and needing a letter of compliance. They needed the following documents to issue a letter:

a) copy of driver's license or passport

b) bill of sale from vehicle's original purchase

c) proof of registration/vehicle ownership

3. I called the dealership where I bought my vehicle 8 years ago, and they didn't think they still had the bill of sale (turns out they did). So, I called Acura/Honda in the U.S. back, and was told I didn't have to have the bill of sale.

4. I submitted copy of driver's license, vehicle ownership/registration (here in British Columbia, where I'm from, it's through ICBC who both licenses and insures vehicles), and also a copy of the Canadian letter of compliance.

I got a call in less than 24 hours from Acura/Honda in the U.S. that they have issued the letter of compliance and it will be in the mail today!

Here's a link to where you can find your car manufacturer's US representatives' phone number:

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/manreps.htm

Applied for Naturalization based on 3-year Residency 

July 05, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed via USPS to Phoenix Lockbox

July 10, 2017 (Day 05) - NOA received

July 12, 2017 (Day 07) -  Check is cashed by USCIS

July 19, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics appointment letter mailed

August 02, 2017 (Day 28) - Biometrics appointment at Seattle Field Office

August 28, 2017 (Day 54) - Case is "in line" for an interview"

August 28, 2018 (Day 419) - Interview is scheduled

October 4, 2018 (Day 462) - Citizenship Interview AND Oath (offered same day oath by ISO in Seattle, WA)

Officially a U.S. Citizen - Proud to be an American

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.