Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Police Certificate for Adjustement of Status?

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: Country: France

Hello Guys and thanks a lot for all the information you provided on this website.

I am pretty much am in the same situation:

  • I am actually finishing my MBA in the US, thus under a F1 visa
  • Just got married, we have been together for 4 year.
  • I just received my Employment Authorization Card. starting date in May, i will be able to work in the USA for a year.
  • we are working on my adjustment of status and I-130.

I simply have 2 questions relative to the process:

  1. I lived in Australia for 1.5 years, even though USCIS does not ask for it in their instructions, a lot of people on VJ are talking about "Police Certificate". Some people argue that you need it, some other disagree. Thus, do I need to provide it? Do i also need to provide one for France (my home country). not really a problem, just a pain.
  2. Regarding the "Applicant's residence last five years" section of the G-325a, should i left my address in France for the period corresponding to the beginning of my stay in Australia ( 4 months during which i was traveling permanently, thus definitely a tourist)?

Thanks for your help!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland

**** Moving from AOS from Family visa to AOS from Student visa as OP came on a F1 *****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I responded to your other post on this same topic yesterday. Here's the response:

You do not need a police certificate. One of the main reasons for the biometrics (which includes fingerprinting) is so that USCIS can run a background check on applicants. You only need to submit police certificates if you have been charged with/found guilty of a crime which you would have to declare and explain as part of the AOS paperwork. If there is no criminal charges in your past, you don't need to submit anything. Remember that not everyone here is going through the exact same process as you are, which is why some people do actually need a police certificate.

Put down the addresses you actually lived in. If you were traveling for months in a foreign country, I would personally use the address wherever your mail was going to while you were on the road.

Edited by Little_My

Adjustment of Status from F-1 to Legal Permanent Resident

02/11/2011 Married at Manhattan City Hall

03/03/2011 - Day 0 - AOS -package mailed to Chicago Lockbox

03/04/2011 - Day 1 - AOS -package signed for at USCIS

03/09/2011 - Day 6 - E-mail notification received for all petitions

03/10/2011 - Day 7 - Checks cashed

03/11/2011 - Day 8 - NOA 1 received for all 4 forms

03/21/2011 - Day 18 - Biometrics letter received, biometrics scheduled for 04/14/2011

03/31/2011 - Day 28 - Successful walk-in biometrics done

05/12/2011 - Day 70 - EAD Arrived, issued on 05/02

06/14/2011 - Day 103 - E-mail notice: Interview letter mailed, interview scheduled for July 20th

07/20/2011 - Day 139 - Interview at Federal Plaza USCIS location

07/22/2011 - Day 141 - E-mail approval notice received (Card production)

07/27/2011 - Day 146 - 2nd Card Production Email received

07/28/2011 - Day 147 - Post-Decision Activity Email from USCIS

08/04/2011 - Day 154 - Husband returns home from abroad; Welcome Letter and GC have arrived in the mail

("Resident since" date on the GC is 07/20/2011

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...