Rissana1987

Cfo Problem

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Happy sunday everyone=)anyway my problem is regarding with my Cfo sticket,i enter k1 before in the states and im back going home and apply for ir1 since we not apply residence there yet,my question is do i need to do it another CFO?even i enter in the states two times for my second visa?help pls..who have the same experience..

Happy sunday everyone=)anyway my problem is regarding with my Cfo sticket,i enter k1 before in the states and im back going home and apply for ir1 since we not apply residence there yet,my question is do i need to do it another CFO?even i enter in the states two times for my second visa?help pls..who have the same experience..

Unfortunately, your question is very difficult to understand. I understand your situation to be (1) you entered on a K-1 already, presumably because you were someone's fiancee, (2) you are going back to the Philippines, where you want to apply for an IR-1 visa, and (3) you don't want to get another CFO sticker.

The problem is between steps (1) and (2). If you entered on a K-1 and then got married, you need to apply to adjust your status to a legal permanent resident. You don't need to go home and apply for an IR-1 visa. If you entered on a K-1 visa and did not get married, you might find it hard to apply for an IR-1 visa. In any case, if you were legally admitted to the United States, and you are married to a U.S. citizen, you need to apply for adjustment of status, not the CR-1.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Unfortunately, your question is very difficult to understand. I understand your situation to be (1) you entered on a K-1 already, presumably because you were someone's fiancee, (2) you are going back to the Philippines, where you want to apply for an IR-1 visa, and (3) you don't want to get another CFO sticker.

The problem is between steps (1) and (2). If you entered on a K-1 and then got married, you need to apply to adjust your status to a legal permanent resident. You don't need to go home and apply for an IR-1 visa. If you entered on a K-1 visa and did not get married, you might find it hard to apply for an IR-1 visa. In any case, if you were legally admitted to the United States, and you are married to a U.S. citizen, you need to apply for adjustment of status, not the CR-1.

Adjusting status inside the USA after marriage IS the standard procedure but there's nothing wrong with leaving and going through an immigrant spouse visa process, provided the K1 visa holder doesn't overstay the 90 days allowed.

The K1 visas holder is under no requirement to adjust status or even to marry. Their obligation is to either marry the petitioner inside the USA within 90 days of arrival, or leave within 90 days. Choosing to marry, leave within 90 days of entry and go through an immigrant spouse visa process is just fine.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures to Philippines regional forum; topic is country specific.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Based on what others have said here on VJ (and other sites), you do not need another CFO. Once you've done it, that's it, it does not expire.

My link

My link

My link

Adjusting status inside the USA after marriage IS the standard procedure but there's nothing wrong with leaving and going through an immigrant spouse visa process, provided the K1 visa holder doesn't overstay the 90 days allowed.

The K1 visas holder is under no requirement to adjust status or even to marry. Their obligation is to either marry the petitioner inside the USA within 90 days of arrival, or leave within 90 days. Choosing to marry, leave within 90 days of entry and go through an immigrant spouse visa process is just fine.

You're right, but I was assuming the K-1 and the CR-1 visas were for marrying different fiancees, since that was sort of suggested by the question. Someone who seeks a K-1 visa and a CR-1 visa based on two different relationships within a short time certainly may have problems proving bona fide relationship.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

You're right, but I was assuming the K-1 and the CR-1 visas were for marrying different fiancees, since that was sort of suggested by the question. Someone who seeks a K-1 visa and a CR-1 visa based on two different relationships within a short time certainly may have problems proving bona fide relationship.

You assumed incorrectly. Best to read carefully and "conclude" rather than "assume". The OP is the foreigner. Foreigners apply for visas. US Citizens file petitions. The errant interchanging of the terms "apply" and "petition" tend to cause lots of confusion. The couple married but the foreigner left the USA without filing to adjust status. As long as they left before their 90 days was up, no worries. They'll just go through a CR1 process. It wouldn't be IR1 unless they delay it so the visa interview is after the second wedding anniversary.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Do you still have your certificate? We were told that it doesn't expire, so I'm assuming you could get another sticker using your old certificate. I'm not sure of that though. It might be better to inquire personally.

USCIS

10/01/11 - Filed (2) I-130's

10/04/11 - NOA-1

04/05/12 - NOA-2

Your I-130 was approved in 184 days from your NOA1 date.

NVC

04/23/12 - NVC received both cases (18 days/12 business days from NOA-2)

05/07/12 - Case numbers and IIN's (14 days/10 business days since NVC received)

05/07/12 - Sent out DS-3032 by email; auto-response received

05/08/12 - AOS fee invoiced, paid - "IN PROCESS"

05/09/12 - AOS fee shows as "PAID"

05/10/12 - Spouse's DS-3032 accepted; minor child's rejected = had petitioner call NVC = received verbal acceptance from operator

05/11/12 - Spouse's IV fee invoiced

05/14/12 - Daughter's IV fee invoiced, paid both IV fees - "IN PROCESS"

05/15/12 - Both IV fees show as "PAID"

05/16/12 - Sent both AOS and both IV packages to NVC via USPS (expected delivery: 05/19/12)

05/21/12 - All 4 packages delivered

05/30/12 - Received checklist for daughter's AOS

05/31/12 - Sent response to checklist via USPS (expected delivery: 06/01/12); Spouse's case completed

06/07/12 - Daughter's case completed; waiting for interview date

06/14/12 - P4 received: interview date 07/11/12

Embassy

07/04-05/12 - Medical at SLEC

07/11/12 - Interview: APPROVED!

07/14/12 - Visas on hand

POE: 10/17/12

GC's on hand: 10/31/12

You assumed incorrectly. Best to read carefully and "conclude" rather than "assume". The OP is the foreigner. Foreigners apply for visas. US Citizens file petitions. The errant interchanging of the terms "apply" and "petition" tend to cause lots of confusion. The couple married but the foreigner left the USA without filing to adjust status. As long as they left before their 90 days was up, no worries. They'll just go through a CR1 process. It wouldn't be IR1 unless they delay it so the visa interview is after the second wedding anniversary.

But I didn't mess up "apply" and "petition", and I already noted that the original question was difficult to understand? I only said that the foreigner can "apply for adjustment of status" or "apply" for the visa, I didn't say anything about petitioning for anybody? I specifically said, if you got married on the K-1 you're fine you can AOS, but if you didn't get married on the K-1 and are now applying for a CR-1 based on marriage to a different USC, you might have problems.

I'm trying to figure out what misconception I might have raised, but I think everything I said was accurate.

Two of my brother in laws are seamen and have left the country on numerous visas. They have had to retake the CFO each time they got a new visa. Since one of them always returns to the same countries to work, I'd assume the same condition of retaking the CFO would apply to you. New Visa equals new sticker. Had you adjusted status you'd have a different situation because you'd no longer be a resident of the Philippines and would be returning home when you leave.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.