tcTTct

VN driver's license

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

My girl has a driver's license and drives in VN, so technically she's allowed to use it to drive here in the US before becoming a permanent resident right?

Since we can't get her a DMV learner's permit until she gets the EAD and obtains a SSN number, what are your thoughts about using her VN license until she gets her Cali license?

How the heck do "non-documented" immigrants get California driver's licenses???

My girl has a driver's license and drives in VN, so technically she's allowed to use it to drive here in the US before becoming a permanent resident right?

Since we can't get her a DMV learner's permit until she gets the EAD and obtains a SSN number, what are your thoughts about using her VN license until she gets her Cali license?

Depends on the state, usually a foreign DL is ok for 30 days. There might be an exchange treaty..again depends on state and country.

You can get SSN before EAD, in fact you can get it about 2 weeks after arrival. However, DL might only be given for the duration of I-94 and later on for the duration of EAD (1 year). Check your DMV site for those details.

No need for a learner's necessarily, it might be possible to take test and upon passing, get DL, same expirations as above though

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

BMV in OH told me that my husband could drive for 6 mos with his Honduran license. I call them regularly with questions :)

-then when we went in they said actually since he is here to stay he needs to get his license asap (but they weren't too particular about him driving)

Apparently in OH everyone has to take the written but you don't have to take the driving part if your license is from like Japan, France, or Germany (that's what the lady said, not sure about that)

Anywho, my husband's been driving a little for the past two months while awaiting SSN. As soon as we got SSN, he took written and now has a permit (standard procedure apparently, easy way for them to get an extra $23), and scheduled driving exam.

Not sure about CA, but in OH you must have a SSN for a license.

You have to wait for her to receive her SSN, then apply for writing test, and Cali Driver license.

I don't think VNESE driver license allow her to drives in California.

I-130 Journey

USCIS

06-15-2008 : Marriage

08-16-2008 : I-130 Sent

08-18-2008 : I-130 Received

08-22-2008 : I-130 NOA1

02-02-2009 : I-130 NOA2 Approved 164 days from NOA1

NVC

02-04-2009 : Visited my wife for 2 weeks. 02-22-2009 come back to US

02-11-2009 : Received package from NVC

02-23-2009 : AOS Paid $70 (Online)

02-23-2009 : DS-3032 sent (by email)

02-25-2009 : Payment Received from my bank (AOS)

03-04-2009 : NVC has received the Choice of Agent DS-3032 (Online)

03-04-2009 : IV Application Processing Fees $400 (Online)

03-05-2009 : Payment Received from my bank (IV APS)

03-07-2009 : DS-230, and I-864 Sent (by USPS)

03-12-2009 : USPS confirm arrived at NVC for DS-230, & I-864

03-13-2009 : NVC received DS-230, & I-864 (Case in progress)

03-20-2009 : NVC case completed in 1 week NVC completed 03-20-2009.

04-02-2009 : NVC Left to HCM city

04-22-2009 : Medical Passed

05-12-2009 : Received a package IV from HCM Consulate by email

05-18-2009 : My wife got Pink.. yeah..

05-26-2009 : Visa received

06-18-2009 : US Entry!!! Yeah, my wife finally here.

06-29-2009 : Received SSN from snail mail

07-20-2009 : Green card received by mail

09-15-2009 : Writting test from DVM.

11-03-2009 : Driving Test.

01-20-2010 : Working.

04-20-2011 : Submit I751

04-26-2011 : Received I-797 NOA with Receipt Number

05-11-2011 : Received ASC Appointment Notice

06-03-2011 : Biometrics Apts @ 11:00 AM

10-11-2011 : Submit more evidence.

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

check with your state, honestly though do you want her to just go driving right away? Not saying she would do anything wrong, but driving int he US is NOTHING like in Vietnam, in the US they are at a much faster speed and actually have to look both ways and not run red lights because no one seems to be coming. Before I would ever let my wife drive in the US I would at least practice with her first, and then check with the DMV to see if it is valid, last thing you would want is her to get caught driving illegally if you know what I mean.

小學教師 胡志明市,越南

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

check with your state, honestly though do you want her to just go driving right away? Not saying she would do anything wrong, but driving int he US is NOTHING like in Vietnam, in the US they are at a much faster speed and actually have to look both ways and not run red lights because no one seems to be coming. Before I would ever let my wife drive in the US I would at least practice with her first, and then check with the DMV to see if it is valid, last thing you would want is her to get caught driving illegally if you know what I mean.

Of course I know this. Even driving in Hawaii is nothing like driving on the mainland lol.

I'm really just checking to see if she could get driving lessons with an instructor without having to wait to get the SSN on order to do the DMV written test. That would save some time and boredom for her.

Gotta consider insurance implications too.

Edited by tcTTct

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.