rade2rising

what type of evidence to provide for bonafide marriage in the case of an arranged marriage?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Guyana
Timeline

Hi, I am new here and I have been reading all the relevant guides and filling out the I 130 for my wife who is currently residing in Guyana S.A. I am waiting to get her signed g 325A

so i can mail everything out

I have all the documents except for the proof of bonafide marriage. Of course I have the marriage certificate but nothing else really.

I travel over there to meet her for the first time. The introduction was set up my our parents. I did speak to her on phone for over 2 months before going to see her for the first time.

Everything worked out so we got married within a few days time. I am not sure what other evidence i can send. I am concerned that USCIS will not be familiar with this type of arranged marriage

and I cannot manufacture evidence to support my relationship. please advise how I should proceed.

4027-dil-ko-choo-jaye-gi-shayari-collection-heart_91.gif?d=1205939495

Hello. I mailed my petition just with the marriage certificate as proof of our marriage. I don't know if they will as me for more evidence. If they do I will only be able to send them two bonafide of marriage affidavits and some pictures. If you have pictures mail pictures. If you have affidavits send them too. If your wife calls you on your cell or texts you send copies of those phone calls and text messages logs.

Finally we all three together. We are happy :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hi, I am new here and I have been reading all the relevant guides and filling out the I 130 for my wife who is currently residing in Guyana S.A. I am waiting to get her signed g 325A

so i can mail everything out

I have all the documents except for the proof of bonafide marriage. Of course I have the marriage certificate but nothing else really.

I travel over there to meet her for the first time. The introduction was set up my our parents. I did speak to her on phone for over 2 months before going to see her for the first time.

Everything worked out so we got married within a few days time. I am not sure what other evidence i can send. I am concerned that USCIS will not be familiar with this type of arranged marriage

and I cannot manufacture evidence to support my relationship. please advise how I should proceed.

The call log you have for those two months. Pictures, affidavits from the family about the arranged marriage. If its the countries custom the CO at embassy would know not necessarily the USCIS people. But affidavits I would think would help you.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Timeline

thanks for assisting me :)

We do have some pictures of the small cermony we had. But do I send that now? Because from what I have been reading here it seems you take the pictures to the actual interview??

As for phone calls well its incredibly expensive to call from guyana so I do all the calling and its not cheap here either so I buy phone cards so not alot of records.....

I guess i am going to have to try calling her some other way that can be tracked

for what its worth i will print out my cellphone bill and send it along. hope they understand the situation

Timeline

thanks for assisting me :)

We do have some pictures of the small cermony we had. But do I send that now? Because from what I have been reading here it seems you take the pictures to the actual interview??

As for phone calls well its incredibly expensive to call from guyana so I do all the calling and its not cheap here either so I buy phone cards so not alot of records.....

I guess i am going to have to try calling her some other way that can be tracked

for what its worth i will print out my cellphone bill and send it along. hope they understand the situation

One thing I would do is go to your countries portal and read the interview reviews to see how the CO (interviewers) are. My husband is Nigerian the toughest embassy on earth so alot of evidence up front (Front-loading) is necessary. You may only really need to present a picture or two together or with family.

If this is a cultural thing it shouldn't be a big deal. Are you leaving with her now in Guyana or you back in US? But I would get a phone card that you can print out the phone log. I use Western Union calling cards since I send money now and than and get points it gets me free airtime.

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

ROC I-751

N-400

Timeline

thanks dear. well I have visited the guyana portal and its difficult maybe not as tough as in nigeria but they are crazy about all paperwork being current and they do ask some challenging questions. But as the other person was saying they will be more familiar with this type of marriage since its quite common in guyana.

My major worry is in this initial application they might not understand how it is I went to visit a girl for 3 days and married her just like that...

As for the phone card I just checked and it does have a call log that can be printed so thank god for that.

I am living in US. After speaking with her couple of months we agreed to meet each other with our parents present and we made the decision to get married. I had only 1 week vacation so i returned immediately. Its very strict custom there for the most part so there is no taking her on trips and booking hotels and such things hence a lack of such evidence.

I was wondering in the cover letter do you think it's a good idea to explain the situation? or the less said the better? Just wait and see if they send RFE??

Edited by rade2rising

Timeline

For the initial filing you just need to provide some evidence 1 really of Bonafide Marriage aside from the required documents. A picture, a phone log is fine in your case. USCIS doesn't care if you just meet. All is required is that you did meet face to face.

But you should have this topic moved to your countries forum to get specific input on your country. (I have to now go google earth and find Guyana I am intrigued).

But think you will be fine. But do get affidavits maybe from both parents thats golden I would think. And personally less is more no explanation needed at this level for USCIS or NVC save it for the interview and explain away if needed.

**Moderator don't you think he would be better serve in his countries forum?**

Edited by dwheels76

ROC I-751

N-400

Timeline

thanks for all the advise dear. and plz do check guyana on the map its very small country but very beautiful. you should try to visit sometime...

I will work on getting the affidavits. As for my country forum well it seems like a ghost town...hope someone shows up here to answer my questions....well i am so tired so off to sleep. gnite and thanks again for all your help its much appreciated :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

I think as other people have said earlier you need affidavits from both of you and try to at least create email address for her and send emails at aleast one every week and will help, track and keep copy of everythiing u send her, even regular post mails and make sure u keep all the envelopes for your records.

God bless you and good luck

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.