joedarcy

Change consulate

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My first receipt date for the I129F was in April, and this week the file will finally reach the consulate in Vancouver. I thought it would take less time and am now in Eastern Canada and would like to switch consulates. Does anybody have any experience of having to change a consulate - I'd like to change from Vancouver to Montreal but am concerned about a further long delay.

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I would email the consulate in Vancouver, explaining your situation and see if they can transfer the case to Montreal. Or perhaps just ask them the question if it can be done.

Vancouver email address to use: vancouverK@state.gov

http://www.amcits.com/vancouver.asp

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

most VJer's going thropiugh Mtl would probably prefer to go through VAN, seems to be much fatser. Have you checked out the airfare? Sometime you can get some good prices. For a few hundredd $$ might be nice to get the quicker appt time if ur in a rush.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

I would stay at the Vancouver consulate if at all possible, many of us would give anything for our cases to be there! If you want to switch though, you just need to contact Vancouver with your new address and they will transfer it to Montreal. However, it may it some time to get there, and then by the time Montreal sends packet 3 and you return it, you are probably looking at an interview in the new year.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I just did a quick searc and used Nov 14/15 as the dates and your only looking at a $200 difference. Vancouver hands out the Visa the same day as well, where as Mtl does it the next day. So maybe if you caught a red eye flight from the east coast and then caught a late flight the same day, no hotel would be required, less meals, so the price difference may be minimal.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

had this same dilemma of wanting to transfer from Van to Mtl. just tell the consulate and give them your reason for wanting to transfer.

after hearing that Mtl takes a couple of months to schedule interviews, i decided to stay with Van. Van is very flexible with interview dates... i've heard anywhere from 2 weeks to 1 month from when you send back Packet 3.

when i called Van to check if they received my Packet 3, the lady simply asked me when i would like to schedule the interview for, and she gave me the date i wanted.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I would say if you can afford it staying with Vancouver would make for an interview date well before Montreal ... Do and VJ search and you would be surprised in the time difference ...

K-1 VISA
08-05-06 - Married in Sycamore IL

AOS / EAD
08-24-06 - AOS/EAD mail to Chicago (Day 1)

11-06-06 - GC & Welcome Letter arrive in Mail (Day 75)

I-751
09-23-08 - Sent Package via USPS (Day 1)
01-02-09 - Received GC in mail (with wrong Resident Since date) (Day 101)

Timeline

Hi Everybody,

Thanks for all your great responses. I think everybody is right, I'll leave it in Vancouver and get a red eye there to make a day of it. I really had no idea the process was going to take this long. I thought as a Canadian it would take less than 6 months to get permission to marry an American. Thanks Again!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.