RiyLul

Canadian Citizen Visiting the U.S. and Returning Back to Canada After K-1 Issued

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello Everyone!

I have a quick question. My fiance is a U.S. citizen and we anticipate on obtaining the K-1 visa in the near future. Once/if I get the K-1 visa, can I as a Canadian citizen choose to cross the border to visit family and then return to Canada? I would move to the U.S. permanently at the end of June, endorsing the K-1 at that time. I was just wondering if anyone in my situation had attempted to visit the U.S., having their K-1, but choosing not to use it right away.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

RiyLul

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Honduras
Timeline

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure once you have the K1 visa, once you step foot into the US, it starts the 90 day countdown for you to get married and you can't leave the US until after.

El destino me ha unido a vos.

I-129F K1 Visa Process
[01.18.2012] Sent I-129F Petition
[01.20.2012] NOA1
[06.13.2012] NOA2 - no RFE's
[07.09.2012] Petition received at NVC; case number assigned
[07.11.2012] Petition sent to Honduras consulate
[07.13.2012] Consulate received petition package
[08.07.2012] Received interview date & Packet 4 in email
[10.10.2012] Interview smile.png - APPROVED!
[10.18.2012] POE Houston
[10.29.2012] Marriage <3

I-485 AOS Process
[12.14.2012] Sent I-485 Package with I-765
[12.19.2012] NOA1
[12.24.2012] Biometrics letter received
[01.02.2013] RFE notice
[01.05.2013] RFE hardcopy received
[01.07.2013] Biometrics appointment
[03.04.2013] RFE sent back to USCIS
[03.19.2013] EAD approved
[03.27.2013] EAD arrived in the mail

[09.21.2013] I-485 approved

[09.26.2013] Green card sent in mail

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello Everyone!

I have a quick question. My fiance is a U.S. citizen and we anticipate on obtaining the K-1 visa in the near future. Once/if I get the K-1 visa, can I as a Canadian citizen choose to cross the border to visit family and then return to Canada? I would move to the U.S. permanently at the end of June, endorsing the K-1 at that time. I was just wondering if anyone in my situation had attempted to visit the U.S., having their K-1, but choosing not to use it right away.

Thanks!

RiyLul

While a few people have been able to do this - it isn't recommended.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

You might want to post this is the Canada forum as this seems to be Canada specific. It has happened but it is up to the discretion of the CBP.

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure once you have the K1 visa, once you step foot into the US, it starts the 90 day countdown for you to get married and you can't leave the US until after.

There are a few people from Canada who have entered and not activated the K-1. But not many. This is a Canada specific thing.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Timeline

Hello Everyone!

Thanks!

RiyLul

Timeline

It's basically at the discretion of the border guard you encounter. There are people who have done it (although not that recently I don't think).

I asked at my interview if this would be possible as I got my visa in March and planned to move in June and wanted to be able to visit and my interviewer told me that I could not do that and shouldn't even try. So, I didn't. It sucked not being able to leave the country for a few months like that, but in the end, I'm glad I didn't try because you just never know the outcome at the border.

If you are driving, and live close to the border, and don't mind turning back if you had to, then it would be worth a try. I was flying and didn't want to give up on my airfare.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

Thanks Everyone!

Will also post this on the Canada forum as per your suggestions. If anyone else has any further input would be great!

It has already been moved to the Canada forum please do not post 2 questions of the same thing.

Timeline

Personally, I wouldn't risk it. The Vancouver consulate did tell me I could use my passport to travel to the US (without activating my K1) but ultimately it's up to the Border Official, not the consulate.

Timeline

The only risk is being turned away. If you live fairly close to the border and it wouldn't be an issue being sent back, then go ahead and try it. If you'll be in for a long drive, or if you're flying, you may want to reconsider since there are no guarantees.

With that said, several people have done this without an issue. I'm pretty sure one of them was Krikit.

Timeline

Thanks Inky. I did not realize that it would be moved, therefore I had already posted it before I got your message. It looks like all of them have been closed though? Anyway you could open up at least one of the threads?

Hi Inky, nevermind, I see that you have merged the topics. Thanks.

Timeline

I stopped at the Queenston Lewiston bridge a couple of weeks back and spoke to an immigration officer and posed this very same question as my fiancee lives on the US side in Western NY and me in TO. My interview is in 3 weeks and if all goes well, K1 should be issued before May. However, I have to finish up projects at work which will take me all the way until the end of May. Since my honey and I see each other every second weekend, it would be weird for us to go almost a whole month and a half without me visiting him.

The immigration officer told me that when I decided to cross to visit him that as long as I show ties to Canada and that I was going to go back home and informed POE customs agent when I do go to visit that I would not be activating my k1 until June then I should not have a problem.

If I decide to try this, I will post and let everyone know what the outcome was.

NATURALIZATION -WOOOHOO

Final paperwork sent to lawyer - 14-Dec-2015

GC-Date: Resident Since 02/13/2013

Sent: N-400 Sent 12/21/2015
NOA: 12/24/2015

Biometrics: 01/20/2016
In Line: 01/25/2016
Int Ltr: 01/28/2016
Interview: 03/08/2016
Oath: 04/14/2016
Field Office: Buffalo NY

I am a US Citizen!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.