pumpernickle

Cal. DL is about to expire, but still NO GC

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi all:

I'm sure there are people here who've been in my situation.So I'm asking for help from those ones.

I live in California and my Cal Drive licence is about to expire same as my green card on Apr 12,2012.

I've got the extension letter for my GC which says that I'm good to live&work for a year until the final decision.I've also done the Biometrics and got the stamp on the letter.

When I got the letter from DMV for DL expriy,I've mailed the one year extension letter;then they said it's not good enough.

This morning I went to the DMV office hoping that stamp I've got from Bio and original extension letter would be good enough to extend my DL ,but it wasn't..I've told them over and over again that I do not have anything else.They said they need the final decision letter and till then they can't do anything. :crying:

Now I have only 10 days to extend my DL and I dont think I will get my 10 year green card in 10 days.

What others did in this situation?I hate the fact that I will have no DL for a while with a newborn baby.

Thnx

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

oh #######....I have no idea but im in the exact same situation as you. I'm kind of nervous now. I included a copy of my green card too so they could see the date from which i have an extra year...but now I dunno. I have to be able to get to work. This has me sort of terrified!

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

on the website it says

Notice of Action (I797 Approved Petition) must indicate approved extension of stay or change in status that grants temporary or permanent residency, or indicates that an original, duplicate or renewal Resident Alien card is forthcoming.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#BDLP

I would print out this section and go back with this in hand. If I get the same news you did that is my plan, because it does say right on the site that our extension letter is good enough for a drivers license.

Edited by Danu

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

The noa1 is your approved extension letter, go back to the DMV and speak to a supervisor or manager. We went to the DMV with a DL that expired 4 months ago and they did not give us any problem with our noa1..

UpdatedTimeline.jpg

I don't know know if anything has changed in the past couple of years. my wife had the same situation when she was in ROC. her extension letter was accepted and she received a DL that expired in one year. the extension letter should be accepted as a legal presence document. I'd go back to DMV and ask to speak with a supervisor or try a different DMV office.

Edited by sunandmoon

US Embassy Manila website. bringing your spouse/fiancee to USA

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.html

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

on the website it says

•Notice of Action (I–797 Approved Petition) – must indicate approved extension of stay or change in status that grants temporary or permanent residency, or indicates that an original, duplicate or renewal Resident Alien card is forthcoming.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#BDLP

I would print out this section and go back with this in hand. If I get the same news you did that is my plan, because it does say right on the site that our extension letter is good enough for a drivers license.

Danu:

As soon as u've provided the link,I've printed it out and went back to the DMV office.First,talked to the same lady who gave me hard time this morning ,then I've asked her to see the supervisor.The superv. did not tell me anything different than her first,then she said she was gonna investigate on it.After long hours of waiting,they told me to fax the doc.s to the lady in the Sacramento head office so she could take care of it for me.

Thnx Danu and thnx every one...Hopefully they will extend it asap.

Try a different office, the CA DMV are inconsistent.

I renewed mine online 2 months ago and they reissued it for 5 years. The CA DMV have never actually seen my green card, they issued my first DL for 4 years while on a visa that was due to expire a year or two later.

Don't want to make you feel worse but i would definitely try a different office and ask for a supervisor if the first clerk can't help you.

Nov 6, 2012 N-400 mailed

Nov 7, 2012 N-400 delivered to Phoenix lockbox, signed by Arndt & case priority date

Nov 9, 2012 Case Touched, NOA date

Nov 13, 2012 Got text/e-mail with case number & the check was cashed :)

Nov 14, 2012 Case updated online to say biometrics apt. notice is on its way!

Nov 16, 2012 Received NOA & biometrics apt. letter

Nov 28, 2012 Biometrics apt.

Jan 4, 2013 In line for interview!

Jan 5, 2013 Scheduled for interview!

Jan 10, 2013 Received interview letter

Jan 19, 2013 Received yellow letter dated 1/16 asking me to bring more passport pics to the interview

Feb 11, 2013 Interview

Mar 8, 2013 Got an online update - oath scheduled!

Mar 13, 2013 Oath letter received

Mar 22, 2013 Oath! Officially an American citizen!

Try a different office, the CA DMV are inconsistent.

I renewed mine online 2 months ago and they reissued it for 5 years. The CA DMV have never actually seen my green card, they issued my first DL for 4 years while on a visa that was due to expire a year or two later.

Don't want to make you feel worse but i would definitely try a different office and ask for a supervisor if the first clerk can't help you.

Just read the previous responses and see you're all set - so ignore my last response :thumbs:

Nov 6, 2012 N-400 mailed

Nov 7, 2012 N-400 delivered to Phoenix lockbox, signed by Arndt & case priority date

Nov 9, 2012 Case Touched, NOA date

Nov 13, 2012 Got text/e-mail with case number & the check was cashed :)

Nov 14, 2012 Case updated online to say biometrics apt. notice is on its way!

Nov 16, 2012 Received NOA & biometrics apt. letter

Nov 28, 2012 Biometrics apt.

Jan 4, 2013 In line for interview!

Jan 5, 2013 Scheduled for interview!

Jan 10, 2013 Received interview letter

Jan 19, 2013 Received yellow letter dated 1/16 asking me to bring more passport pics to the interview

Feb 11, 2013 Interview

Mar 8, 2013 Got an online update - oath scheduled!

Mar 13, 2013 Oath letter received

Mar 22, 2013 Oath! Officially an American citizen!

Filed: Other Timeline

You cannot argue with retards, so why are you trying? The extension letter validates your Green Card for another year. If a drone doesn't get it, ask to see the office manager. If he doesn't get it, ask for a formal complaint form and write down his name and employee number.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.