easyriders2011

NVC processing times differences K1 vs IR-1

10 posts in this topic

I have been trying to figure out how the NVC process for several recent K1 visa applicants zoom right through the entire NVC process in 2-3 days, from soup to nuts, yet our package has been at NVC waiting input into their system since the 19th?

Is there something less complicated about the K1 visa that allows them to be just whisked right through and off to the embassy for an interview as compared to the IR-1 process. I understand we have a bit more documentation, but the CO at the embassy is going to make the final call. But they would do that for both the fiancee as well as for the spouse.

It is very frustrating to say the least.

If any one can shed some light on this I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Don

Our time line:

-----------

11-2-09 Met for the first time

11-3-09 Went to dinner to celebrate my birthday

11-18-09 Officially became bf/gf.

11-22-09 Went back to the States

1-1-10 Talked to her father on the phone queried about my intentions. Told him I intended to marry her.

10-8-10 2nd Trip back to Philippines

10-10-10 Proposed to her ... She said YES!

10-16-10 Meet her parents and family in the province for the first time

10-25-10 Returned to States

11-2010 Started her annulment process

1-4-11 Free to marry within the country

2-8-11 3rd trip to Philippines

2-10-11 Annulment process complete (can file for US visas now)

4-27-11 Got Married

5-30-11 Finally received marriage contract from priest

6-4-11 Discovered we needed to get an electronic endorsement of our marriage contract submitted

6-22-11 Finally got updated CENOMAR to show annulment of previous marriage

7-29-11 Finally had to say good bye and leave the Philippines after 6 months

8-18-11 Submitted CR-1 pkg to visa service agency

9-9-11 After a thorough review and obtaining additional docs, finally mailed our pkg to USCIS.

9-12-11 NOA1 received

3-14-12 USCIS approved our I-130

3-17-12 NOA2 received

NVC:

3-19-12 Package acknowledged by NVC.

4-3-12 NVC enters our package into their system and generates our case#

4-4-12 AOS pmt made

Manila Embassy

4-9-12 Petition US Embassy Manila to expedite since I will be in country

5-23-12 Interview at US Embassy - approved

5-31-12 Visa in Hand

6-6-12 Len Arrives!!!!! in the US via Chicago to Houston

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have been trying to figure out how the NVC process for several recent K1 visa applicants zoom right through the entire NVC process in 2-3 days, from soup to nuts, yet our package has been at NVC waiting input into their system since the 19th?

Is there something less complicated about the K1 visa that allows them to be just whisked right through and off to the embassy for an interview as compared to the IR-1 process. I understand we have a bit more documentation, but the CO at the embassy is going to make the final call. But they would do that for both the fiancee as well as for the spouse.

It is very frustrating to say the least.

If any one can shed some light on this I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Don

I think NVC handles IR-1/CR-1 petitions different from K-1. K-1 visa applications are passed through NVC and assign a case number. Then forwarded to the Country's US Embassy.

Immigrant Visa for a Spouse of a U.S. Citizen (IR1 or CR1)

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_2991.html

After USCIS approves the petition, it is sent to the National Visa Center (NVC). Once received, the NVC will assign a case number for the petition and send the Choice of Address and Agent form to the applicant, if an attorney or agent will be used. (NOTE: If you already have an attorney, the NVC will not send you this form.) NVC will begin pre-processing the applicant’s case by providing the applicant and petitioner with instructions to submit the appropriate fees. After the appropriate fees are paid, the NVC will request that the applicant submit the necessary immigrant visa documents, including the Affidavit of Support, application forms, civil documents, and more. Learn more about National Visa Center visa case processing.

Other IR-1/CR-1 VJ'ers can give better insight on the processing procedures after USCIS approve's the petition.

God Does for those who do for themselves..!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

The NVC does not deal with K1 visa applications. They receive them, assign a number, and immediately send them to the embassy, which takes care of collecting all necessary supporting documents and fees.

For IR1/CR1 visa on the other hand, the NVC opens the case, collects the fees, and requests forms and documents. Only when they have decided that the case was complete do they schedule an interview and forward it to the embassy, basically just for the interview. This is called NVC document intake.

CR1 Visa

USCIS STAGE: 16 days No expedite request but USC residing abroad
NVC STAGE: 19 days from case # to case complete
EMBASSY STAGE
03/27/12: interview - APPROVED
04/12/12: POE San Diego

ROC
12/19/14: received reminder letter from USCIS to file for ROC
01/15/14: sent I-751 application

05/14/14: received card production notification by e-mail, approval date 05/13

Naturalization

02/01/24: N-400 submitted online; Biometrics reuse notice received immediately online; "case being actively reviewed" after a couple hours

02/09/24: received NOA1 by mail

02/10/24: received biometrics reuse notice by mail

04/08/24: interview scheduled for 05/14. Received "We have taken an action in your case" email.

In addition to what Laure said, you have to keep in mind, for K1 applicants, NVC is just a middle man. They simply assign a case number and ship the case out. As far as I know, they don't input the information into their system since K1s don't submit anything to NVC. With IR-1/CR-1 cases though, there are fees paid and packages sent in. So, NVC has to take the time to input all the information, which takes drastically longer than just simply assigning a case number.

Well I guess you guys have answered my question, I just hate the answer. It's extremely frustrating to be in limbo again after finally getting out of CSC hell!

3 weeks have passed since our NOA2 and still no case #.

thanks for the info.

Our time line:

-----------

1-1-10 Talked to her father on the phone queried about my intentions. Told him I intended to marry her.

4-27-11 Got Married

6-4-11 Discovered we needed to get an electronic endorsement of our marriage contract submitted

9-9-11 After a thorough review and obtaining additional docs, finally mailed our pkg to USCIS.

9-12-11 NOA1 received

3-17-12 NOA2 received

NVC:

4-4-12 AOS pmt made

Manila Embassy

5-31-12 Visa in Hand

Well I guess you guys have answered my question, I just hate the answer. It's extremely frustrating to be in limbo again after finally getting out of CSC hell!

thanks for the info.

Looking at your signature, it's been a little over 2.5 weeks since your I-130 petition was approved. You should be getting a case number this week, or at the latest, next week. It's been taking roughly 3 weeks recently.

Filed: Timeline

thanks for the info.

did you try calling them in the last couple of days? 3 weeks seems very long for something that should only take a week.

did you try calling them in the last couple of days? 3 weeks seems very long for something that should only take a week.

No, it's currently taking 3 weeks from NOA2 to case number being generated, so they're within the correct timeframe. And although it might seem like it could take a week, keep in mind, NVC receives hundreds of thousands of cases and have to deal with them one by one. And when there's an increase of cases, then it takes longer.

Filed: Timeline

No, it's currently taking 3 weeks from NOA2 to case number being generated, so they're within the correct timeframe. And although it might seem like it could take a week, keep in mind, NVC receives hundreds of thousands of cases and have to deal with them one by one. And when there's an increase of cases, then it takes longer.

thanks for the information.

We got our case# yesterday, and we got the AOS billing today. I was calling NVC 2-3 times a day because this site gave me advise to be proactive, and it was so damn frustrating to be told 3 different things three different times each day. I would tell them. If you would just give us the truth, that from the date you pkg arrives in our building, we hold ourself to get it input into the computer in 5 days, period! then they wouldn't be having the huge call volume of people badgering them for details 2-3 times a day, but instead they continually tell you 30 days, 60days, 10 - 20 business days, then they tell you different dates. ( our pkg was received 3/19, but wasn't entered into the system till 3/21, so each time the different operator would give me a completely different answer on how long. The last guy told me to call back in 20 business days for our case number, and low and behold it was there the next morning.

If they could just try a little bit of realistic metric analysis and tell the truth, everyone's life would be so much simpler.

Our time line:

-----------

4-27-11 Got Married

9-12-11 NOA1 received

3-17-12 NOA2 received

NVC:

4-4-12 AOS pmt made

Manila Embassy

5-31-12 Visa in Hand

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.