jo_islandgirl

Citizenship of minor

6 posts in this topic

Timeline

Hi - My US Citizen husband and I are recently divorced and I am a permanent Resident since 11/05/2007. My 16 years old daughter is resident since 09/03/2009. I am planning to file my US Citizenship Application Form N-400 in September 2012 on my own. I also would like to include my daughter in this application by filling out form N-600 - Application for Certificate of Citizenship.

I am aware that after I obtain my US citizenship , my minor children are automatically US citizens. But even though it is not required, there are many advantages to apply for certificate of naturalization for the minor children. My question is: will it be a problem for me to file the form N-600 since she would have not reached the cap time of 5 years being a permanent resident prior application of citizenship. Or is it alright since she is still a minor?

Thank you in advance for your response:-)

Edited by jo_islandgirl

Filed: Country:
Timeline

No it won't be a problem.

What advantage is there to donating several hundred dollars to get her a document that she doesn't need?

Once you've naturalized you can simply get her a US Passport and Passport Card to prove that she's a US Citizen. You'd most likely get the passport anyway and if not at about $100 it's a lot cheaper than the N-600.

Timeline

No it won't be a problem.

What advantage is there to donating several hundred dollars to get her a document that she doesn't need?

Once you've naturalized you can simply get her a US Passport and Passport Card to prove that she's a US Citizen. You'd most likely get the passport anyway and if not at about $100 it's a lot cheaper than the N-600.

Thank you for the response. I agree with you, however, she will be going back home next year and continue university there as it is alot cheaper and affordable than here with afiliation to British college like Middlesex etc.... and she will be turning 18 in 2 years. I would like to get this process out of the way so that we donot have to worry about it later on.... and the law changing all the time never know...

Have a great weekend! and thanks again.

Filed: Country:
Timeline
I would like to get this process out of the way so that we donot have to worry about it later on.... and the law changing all the time never know...

Immigration Law changes at the pace of evolution...

FWIW, the US Passport only takes a few weeks and once you've applied she doesn't have to wait to return for school.

Filed: Other Timeline

First,

since you won't become a U.S. citizen before they hand you the Certificate of Naturalization, your daughter won't be a citizen either. So you can't file for a Certificate of Citizenship before your daughter has become a citizen. Does that make sense . . . to you?

Secondly, your daughter can get a U.S. passport book in 3 hours if needed. The U.S. passport card will take about 10 days. With two U.S. passports as independent proof of U.S. citizenship, I can't think of any purpose the Certificate of Citizenship will have, because its purpose is to get the first U.S. passport, after which is will never need to come out of the safe again.

But I'm glad you want to donate $600 to the U.S. government, so I won't advise you against doing something stupid. Go right ahead! Just know that it will take several month until she will get that Certificate of Citizenship, at which time you will wonder why the heck you even applied for one.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Thank you for the response. I agree with you, however, she will be going back home next year and continue university there as it is alot cheaper and affordable than here with afiliation to British college like Middlesex etc.... and she will be turning 18 in 2 years. I would like to get this process out of the way so that we donot have to worry about it later on.... and the law changing all the time never know...

Have a great weekend! and thanks again.

So who does getting the Certificate of Citizenship going to help her over a US passport?

The laws changing will not affect her US citizenship. The US passport is sufficient to prove US citizenship.

You are wasting $600 in applying for the certificate. If you got the money, then go ahead and send for it.

A person must be at least 18 years old to naturalize, so your daughter cannot naturalize with you. You list her on your N-400 for informational purposes. Once you take the oath of citizenship, you become a US citizen. Only at that point can you apply for a US passport or Certificate of Citizenship for your minor LPR child. You cannot apply early. If you do apply early, your child will be denied the passport and/or certificate and there will be no refund.

Wait until you get your naturalization certificate to apply for a US passport for your daughter.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.