integrity8182

Withdraw Power of Attorney???

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Dear All,

I previously hired an attorney to adjust my wife status. In February 2007, we are due to file "lift condition" application. This time, we decided to do it on our own. Do I have to withdraw the power of attorney since the attorney was designated to act on our behalf previously? Thanks

Filed: Timeline
Dear All,

I previously hired an attorney to adjust my wife status. In February 2007, we are due to file "lift condition" application. This time, we decided to do it on our own. Do I have to withdraw the power of attorney since the attorney was designated to act on our behalf previously? Thanks

HI!

I dont think you need to do anything.

If u are going to file the I-751 on your own just do it and dont hire the lawyer again.

Dont mention anything in the I-751 application box for a lawayers use only i guess.

Best wishes. (F)

Sincerely.

Filed: Country: Sweden
Timeline

I don't think so. IIRC there was a G-28 (?) form on top of each application where you specifically designated that attorney to represent you -- i.e. one for your I-130, one for your I-485, one for I-131, one for I-765. So that leads me to believe that designation of representation applied only to the specified form and not to any future forms.

If you have a copy of what was filed before, you can take a look and see if my recollection is correct.

"When all else fails, read the instructions."

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We had an attorney for our CR-1 and just filed our I-751, didnt have to do anything special.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Timeline
Dear All,

Same thing happened to me and the answer is that you do not need to contact the Lawyer his job is over and done with plus it would cost you another $1,500-$2,000 when you can do it yourself for $205.

( my lawyer actually told me this himself)

Funny enough my conditions are due to be removed in February 2007 also but I filed early as I am divorced.

Good Luck

Edited by Jersey

Timeline

Ours contacted us and for $1000 she would do the I-751. Took all of 5 minutes to fill out the form!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline
The correct answer to the question is that it depends on what type of Power of Attorney you signed and whether or not there is a revocation clause in the document.

Good point. In my case our attorney contacted out of the blue and asked if we wanted her services again for $1000 (was $2500 for cr-1) She stated we could "possibly" do it on our own!! lol

Hi, you can file the G-28 form as noted above if your lawyer has submitted the documents on your behalf and listed themselves as the representative. Be sure to send a notice of release to the lawyer and request any documents they may have on file that you do not have copies of.

Filed: Country: Sweden
Timeline
Hi, you can file the G-28 form as noted above if your lawyer has submitted the documents on your behalf and listed themselves as the representative. Be sure to send a notice of release to the lawyer and request any documents they may have on file that you do not have copies of.

My understanding of the OP's post is that they have not yet engaged the attorney for the I-751 portion... there is probably nothing to revoke at this moment as far as USCIS is concerned.

"When all else fails, read the instructions."

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.