Ecalos

Slightly confused.

21 posts in this topic

Okay so assuming it all goes well and I'm awarded a greencard when I get to the US... 2 years later I file to remove conditions... I get the 10 year greencard.. am I correct?

Where I'm stuck at is.... Greencard = Legal Permanent Resident? Or US Citizen? What happens to my Canadian citizenship along the way? Is becoming a USC a totally different process or something that just happens further down the line?

:help:

I keep finding differing opinions on this :whistle:

AOS/EAD/AP:

Apr. 24 2007: AOS/EAD/AP Sent to Chicago Lockbox

Apr. 25 2007: AOS/EAD/AP Arrived at Chicago

Apr. 30 2007: NOA1 for AOS/EAD/AP

May 02 2007: AOS/EAD/AP Cheques cashed

May 03 2007: AOS/EAD/AP Touched

May 22 2007: RFE

May 25 2007: Biometrics for EAD

May 29 2007: EAD Touched

Jun. 06 2007: Biometrics for AOS Completed at the same time as EAD

Jun. 08 2007: RFE sent back

Jun. 11 2007: RFE Rec'd

Jun. 13 2007: AOS Touched

Jun. 14 2007: AOS Touched

Jun. 18 2007: AOS Touched

Jul. 10 2007: EAD and AP Touched and approved!

Aug. 17 2007: AOS Interview! APPROVED!!!!

Lifting Conditions:

Jun. 15 2009: Mailed I-751 to CSC

Aug. 14 2009: Biometrics

Sep. 17 2009: Approved!

Pillowcased: Diary of a Madwoman. Full timeline coming soon!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Greencard is LPR not Citizen. To become a citizen you will need to naturalize. You will need to be an LPR for at least 5 years before you can become a citizen of the United States.

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/services/natz/general.htm

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/services/natz/index.htm

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Oh ok.. so then is naturalizaton something I -have- to do? Or can I keep my Canadian citizenship in some manner while being a LPR?

AOS/EAD/AP:

Lifting Conditions:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline
Oh ok.. so then is naturalizaton something I -have- to do? Or can I keep my Canadian citizenship in some manner while being a LPR?
There is no requirement to Naturalize, I have a friend that works at my place of employment who has been in the USA for 20 years as an LPR from Canada. She is still considered to be a Citizen of Canada.

I have another friend who's husband is from Greece, every time they want to travel to Greece he has to reapply for a passport at the Greek Consulate in NY City, and also has to renew the Green card every 10 years. So he is now in the process of getting Naturalized to get an American Passport, and remove the need to renew the green card.

Naturalization just allows you the privileges of being an citizen of the United States, like Voting, or US Passport.

More can be found here: http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/services/natz/English.pdf

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Ahh thank you, that's exactly what I wanted to know :thumbs:

AOS/EAD/AP:

Lifting Conditions:

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Greencard is LPR not Citizen. To become a citizen you will need to naturalize. You will need to be an LPR for at least 5 years before you can become a citizen of the United States.

I was under the impression that the requirements for citizenship were reduced to three years instead of five, if the LPR comes on a K visa. Maybe I misread that somewhere. :)

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I came on a cr-1 (no clue on K1 stuff) and I know I can apply for usa citizenship 3 yrs after I entered the States. Even though I will become an USa citizen, I wont loose my Canadian citizenship, will have dual.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes, many of us are dual citizens of Canada and the U.S. You do not have to give up one or the other. But if you become an American, and later move back to Canada, you will still be liable for income tax in the States no matter where you live. Something to be aware of.

I-130 sent Mar 30, 06

approved Aug 15, 06

I-129f sent April 24, 06

approved July 27, 06

Montreal interview Jan 18, 07

POE Toronto Jan 28, 07

EAD sent Jan. 30, 07

transferred to Vermont Feb 12

biometrics Feb 22

approved March 13

card returned undeliverable! March 27

called after 6 weeks to have EAD re-sent

AOS sent Jan. 30, 07

biometrics Feb 22

RFE for complete medical (!) Feb 23

Called Senator from NJ - never returned call

Infopass March 19 (no help)

Replied to RFE with duplicate medical March 19

Sent additional evidence (I-693A) March 26

NBC received supplement March 30

touched April 4

Interview July 16

Timeline
Yes, many of us are dual citizens of Canada and the U.S. You do not have to give up one or the other. But if you become an American, and later move back to Canada, you will still be liable for income tax in the States no matter where you live. Something to be aware of.

That is correct, but I belive many of the tax treaties cover that, one wouldn't be getting double taxed.

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Alright sounds good, I was worried about losing my Canadian citizenship but looks like I have nothing to fear. Thanks!

AOS/EAD/AP:

Lifting Conditions:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

That is correct, but I belive many of the tax treaties cover that, one wouldn't be getting double taxed.

Yes, tax treaties with many countries - including Canada- address the issue so that you don't face double taxation, but you still have to file an income tax return based upon your world income with the US when you are a US citizen. US taxes on its citizenship as well as its residents; Canada taxes its residents.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I was under the impression that the requirements for citizenship were reduced to three years instead of five, if the LPR comes on a K visa. Maybe I misread that somewhere. :)

yes, you are correct, Karen... if you come to the US on a K visa or a CR1/IR1 visa you can become a citizen 3 years after becoming a permanent resident....

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

yes, you are correct, Karen... if you come to the US on a K visa or a CR1/IR1 visa you can become a citizen 3 years after becoming a permanent resident....

Thanks Marilyn...I was beginning to wonder if I was losing my mind. I knew I had read that somewhere. :)

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: Other Timeline

it doesn't necessarily have to be a K visa or spousal CR1. Just that you are married to a US citizen and have legal permanent residency status in the US, you can apply for naturalization/citizenship 3 years after you get your green card. So if you entered on a CR1, you can apply 3 years after your arrival. If you entered on a K visa, and applied to adjust status, 3 years after you are approved, you can apply. If you enter as a visitor, and apply to adjust and are approved, 3 years later you can apply.

Or, you can just remain an LPR for the rest of your life, depending on your opinions and circumstances. There is no law stating you are required to become a citizen, just that you keep renewing your LPR status.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Timeline

nope no law, but soem jobs require you to be a USA citizen and in some cases your spouse may be limited as well if your not a citizen, but thats dealing with very specific jobs ie CIA etc etc

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.