Alex+R

Argentinian Odontology

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Just wondering if anyone in the U.S./other developed nation has had wisdom teeth removal related complications.

I arrived here in Buenos Aires on Monday. Tuesday I went to the free public DENTAL EMERGENCY ROOM (seriously, we should get some of these) where they seem to have told me that I had dry socket. They stuck some medicated cloth in there and told me to come back today. But I don't know everything they said because I don't really speak Spanish. Much.

Last night I went back and it turns out I have infection on both lower sockets. They pulled out the old cloth and put in a new cloth after cleaning the holes and put me on 1 gram of amoxycilin 3 times a day.

I can't get ahold of my dental surgeon and I'm really wondering if this is what is supposed to happen.

They said I'm not supposed to fly to Brazil tomorrow unless I'm a lot better or I might need more surgery. We thought of renting a car but Rey didn't bring his driver's license.

It's been a fabulous trip, but I'm starting to get a little worried... anyone know anything about how this is supposed to be treated? I'm getting a little desperate for info here.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Yikes, Alex, I know dry socket is painful. Did your oral surgeon not put you on antibiotics immediately after the extraction? I thought that was standard nowadays to prevent situations like you're in now.

Sorry, not sure if there's anything you can do now that you have it except let the amoxycilin run its course. I cant't imagine why you'd need more surgery. Any dentists in the house?

Well, get better soon. (F)

Timeline

Thanks Jenn. Yeah, I already took a dayum course of antibiotics. A week! Which really put a damper on my vacation alcohol consumption (pretty much...zero). For some reason that wasn't enough for the mighty bacteria I seem to harbor. Now I'm on a monster load of hella expensive Argentinian antibiotics (30 bucks vs. 6 in the U.S.) and I hope it does.. something.

Yeah, dentists in the house?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

One word of caution... and not saying you are doing this.. but most women do not know that antibiotics will nullify the birth control pill.

As to dry socket... how you got it, probably from high elevation (flight) and the recirculated air they pump thru the planes. or smoking. those were common causes that my dentist gave me when I had wisdoms removed. he also stuck me on small antibiotics in case (smoked then) and huge pain killers.

other than that.. sorry.. not to sure what else to go on. not sure why dry socket would need more surgery either.

James & Sara - Aug 12, 05

Humanity... destined to pass the baton shortly.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
Just wondering if anyone in the U.S./other developed nation has had wisdom teeth removal related complications.

I arrived here in Buenos Aires on Monday. Tuesday I went to the free public DENTAL EMERGENCY ROOM (seriously, we should get some of these) where they seem to have told me that I had dry socket. They stuck some medicated cloth in there and told me to come back today. But I don't know everything they said because I don't really speak Spanish. Much.

Last night I went back and it turns out I have infection on both lower sockets. They pulled out the old cloth and put in a new cloth after cleaning the holes and put me on 1 gram of amoxycilin 3 times a day.

I can't get ahold of my dental surgeon and I'm really wondering if this is what is supposed to happen.

They said I'm not supposed to fly to Brazil tomorrow unless I'm a lot better or I might need more surgery. We thought of renting a car but Rey didn't bring his driver's license.

It's been a fabulous trip, but I'm starting to get a little worried... anyone know anything about how this is supposed to be treated? I'm getting a little desperate for info here.

I'll ask Jinky when she's awake. I know that she dispenses a lot of antibiotics for her patients that have infections. Have you been rinsing your mouth with warm salt water?

I had two dry sockets after my wisdom teeth were removed. Recovery from the extraction took a full week. The bleeding took 3 days to stop, I was vomiting from the blood I was swallowing by accident... it was awful.

Magic treatment for the dry socket: get some clove oil and put 1-2 drops into the hole. Pain is INSTANTLY gone. I was truly amazed.

Jen

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Alex,

I was wrong about rinsing...wow...sorry. :blush:

Jinky says the blood clots needed be there...that the sockets will need to bleed and form clots (something about leaving it to heal and not rigorously trying to cleanse the area... leave the blood clots alone). She said to try hydrogen peroxide help with the infection.

Hope that helps. :star:

Timeline

Thanks guys! Also I asked my parents to call the on call guy at my surgeons office and he said that what they are doing here is pretty much exactly what they would do back in ol Minnesota. Phew. Jen, the clove thing is so true. Theyve got me loaded with it and for the first time ever Im not in pain. The dentist also said that the flight might be uncomfortable but would not harm me at this point. They clean it out every two days with hdrogen peroxide and change the dressing, so I guess dentistry is the same around the world.

I guess Im frustrated beacuse I did everything that I should have... I dont smoke, I didnt eat crunchy things, I rinsed with salt water when I was supposed to, with the wash, etc. It must have been the flying or something.

I{m rambling now. And I cant figure out this stupid argentinian keyboard.

Anyway, thanks.

One word of caution... and not saying you are doing this.. but most women do not know that antibiotics will nullify the birth control pill.

As to dry socket... how you got it, probably from high elevation (flight) and the recirculated air they pump thru the planes. or smoking. those were common causes that my dentist gave me when I had wisdoms removed. he also stuck me on small antibiotics in case (smoked then) and huge pain killers.

other than that.. sorry.. not to sure what else to go on. not sure why dry socket would need more surgery either.

Oh yes, ps, I am totally on top of the BC not working thing. Good reminder though. My friend got pregnant that way! Women, listen up.