chrism07023

CENOMAR at US Embassy in Manila

34 posts in this topic

Sorry, I know this is better put in the Philippines section but I'm new here and couldn't quickly figure out where the <New Topic> button is in that section. So I'm posting this here..

Long story short, my wife had her interview today at the US Manila Embassy. All documents were in order but we did not have the "CENOMAR" (Cert of no marriage records). That bothered me, because we have been married for about 2 1/2 years and needed this document in order to obtain our marriage certificate from the NSO. However, despite having the marriage certificate at the interview, they still asked us to obtain the CENOMAR (again). Very very silly.

I did some web surfing and digging - On the Manila US Embassy website ( http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3217.html ), it has a list of required documents to bring....(curiously, 1-10 are in bold, 11, 12, etc, look hastily added and are not bold). 12 says:

12. CERTIFICATE OF NO MARRIAGE RECORD (CENOMAR). If you have never contracted marriage, a CENOMAR (Singleness) issued by the National Statistics Office (NSO) and printed on NSO security paper should be submitted. You may call the NSO Information Center at (632) 737-1111 to inquire on securing a CENOMAR or visit their website at http://www.census.gov.ph.

But since my wife and I have obviously "contracted marriage" already, I'm not sure why they are asking for a CENOMAR..

I also see from a quick search other couples have fallen into this trap. I've told the embassy now that the website is misleading. Even my Immigration lawyer found it odd to ask for a CENOMAR for a married couple who has a marriage license.

Any thoughts?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

maybe you just misunderstand it maybe they are asking for CEMAR (certificate of marriage) and not CENOMAR (Certificate of no marriage)

Don't be confuse

Febuary 13 - Sent I-129f

Febuary 17 - NOA1

March 15 - RFE

March 16 - Replied RFE

March 21 - NOA2

March 26 - NVC received

March 26 - Got MNL case #

March 26 - Received NOA2 hard copy

March 26 - Paid BPI $350

April 17 - Medical( St. Lukes)

April 24 - Interview (Administrative Review 221g

May 15 - received text from to go that visa is ready for pick up!! (OMG! finally!!)

THANK YOU LORD FOR ALL THE BLESSINGS...

maybe you just misunderstand it maybe they are asking for CEMAR (certificate of marriage) and not CENOMAR (Certificate of no marriage)

Don't be confuse

That would make sense, if true. Unfortunately though, I confirmed it 3 times, through the wife, and 2 different embassy phone staffers - they said CENOMAR. Moreover, the website includes the following documentation requirement:

"12. CERTIFICATE OF NO MARRIAGE RECORD (CENOMAR). If you have never contracted marriage, a CENOMAR (Singleness) issued by the National Statistics Office (NSO) and printed on NSO security paper should be submitted. You may call the NSO Information Center at (632) 737-1111 to inquire on securing a CENOMAR or visit their website at http://www.census.gov.ph."

We brought our marriage certificate, as well as my proof of singleness and my divorce decree (from my first marriage). Despite that, and a U-Haul full of W2, tax info, proof of relatoinship, phone records, etc, etc. it still comes down to not having a silly illogical piece of paper....ridiculous.

Edited by chrism07023

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

It's normal for USEM to ask a married Filipino for a CENOMAR.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

It's normal for USEM to ask a married Filipino for a CENOMAR.

Then then should at least update their web page, which reads as if you would only need the CENOMAR if you're not married (contractually). At least that's my read.

Beyond that, it's illogical. A = CENOMAR. B = Marriage Cert. You need A to get B. We brought B. They said bring A, too. It's like, whatever you guys say!!! I could understand it if the marriage cert is from a different Phils govt agency than the CENOMAR, but they're both from the NSO.

Edited by chrism07023

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

maybe they need a negative copy for CENOMAR.. negative copy will come out if there is no file for you

Febuary 13 - Sent I-129f

Febuary 17 - NOA1

March 15 - RFE

March 16 - Replied RFE

March 21 - NOA2

March 26 - NVC received

March 26 - Got MNL case #

March 26 - Received NOA2 hard copy

March 26 - Paid BPI $350

April 17 - Medical( St. Lukes)

April 24 - Interview (Administrative Review 221g

May 15 - received text from to go that visa is ready for pick up!! (OMG! finally!!)

THANK YOU LORD FOR ALL THE BLESSINGS...

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Then then should at least update their web page, which reads as if you would only need the CENOMAR if you're not married (contractually). At least that's my read.

Beyond that, it's illogical. A = CENOMAR. B = Marriage Cert. You need A to get B. We brought B. They said bring A, too. It's like, whatever you guys say!!! I could understand it if the marriage cert is from a different Phils govt agency than the CENOMAR, but they're both from the NSO.

I hear you, keep in mind -- not every IR1/CR1 beneficiary is requested to provide a CENOMAR -- in that sense, the site is correct. A consular officer has broad discretion with regard to the documents he/she can request.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

That would make sense, if true. Unfortunately though, I confirmed it 3 times, through the wife, and 2 different embassy phone staffers - they said CENOMAR. Moreover, the website includes the following documentation requirement:

"12. CERTIFICATE OF NO MARRIAGE RECORD (CENOMAR). If you have never contracted marriage, a CENOMAR (Singleness) issued by the National Statistics Office (NSO) and printed on NSO security paper should be submitted. You may call the NSO Information Center at (632) 737-1111 to inquire on securing a CENOMAR or visit their website at http://www.census.gov.ph."

We brought our marriage certificate, as well as my proof of singleness and my divorce decree (from my first marriage). Despite that, and a U-Haul full of W2, tax info, proof of relatoinship, phone records, etc, etc. it still comes down to not having a silly illogical piece of paper....ridiculous.

Here is a similar situation http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/313713-cenomar-for-cr1-visa/page__view__findpost__p__4735317

In this process for a Visa. I have learned, its better to have all then not to have one of the document being requested. In the link above. One member made a valid point. Married couples should be requesting a Advisory of Marriage (ADMAR).

I will assume the logic behind requiring a CENMAR and CENOMAR is due to you submitted your first CENOMAR to Obtain the CENMAR. They (USEM) needs to see that you were truly free and single to marry. Then the second CENOMAR stating you were free and single and now married on said date. Just a thought not facts!!

God Does for those who do for themselves..!!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Don't be confuse

Right. What is needed is the NSO marriage certificate, sometimes called the CEMAR. Married people cannot obtain a Certificate of NO marriage.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

What they are asking for is the Advisory of Marriage. It's different from the Marriage Certificate. To get it, you must request a CENOMAR form and fill it up. What they will give you is the CEMAR or Advisory of Marriage if you're married.

USCIS

10/01/11 - Filed (2) I-130's

10/04/11 - NOA-1

04/05/12 - NOA-2

Your I-130 was approved in 184 days from your NOA1 date.

NVC

04/23/12 - NVC received both cases (18 days/12 business days from NOA-2)

05/07/12 - Case numbers and IIN's (14 days/10 business days since NVC received)

05/07/12 - Sent out DS-3032 by email; auto-response received

05/08/12 - AOS fee invoiced, paid - "IN PROCESS"

05/09/12 - AOS fee shows as "PAID"

05/10/12 - Spouse's DS-3032 accepted; minor child's rejected = had petitioner call NVC = received verbal acceptance from operator

05/11/12 - Spouse's IV fee invoiced

05/14/12 - Daughter's IV fee invoiced, paid both IV fees - "IN PROCESS"

05/15/12 - Both IV fees show as "PAID"

05/16/12 - Sent both AOS and both IV packages to NVC via USPS (expected delivery: 05/19/12)

05/21/12 - All 4 packages delivered

05/30/12 - Received checklist for daughter's AOS

05/31/12 - Sent response to checklist via USPS (expected delivery: 06/01/12); Spouse's case completed

06/07/12 - Daughter's case completed; waiting for interview date

06/14/12 - P4 received: interview date 07/11/12

Embassy

07/04-05/12 - Medical at SLEC

07/11/12 - Interview: APPROVED!

07/14/12 - Visas on hand

POE: 10/17/12

GC's on hand: 10/31/12

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures to Philippines regional forum.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

You need a CENOMAR,

We just had our interview last March 15, 2012

and thanks to Mr. BLU here in VJ,

whom suggested that I bring a CENOMAR to the interview,

like you I was adamant to bring a CENOMAR coz I am only married

to my wife and to no one else, and by bring the NSO Marriage Certificate,

I thought that it was proof enough, but I was wrong,

so before I went to the interview I decided to get a CENOMAR from the NSO,

it says in the CENOMAR that the NSO is certifying that I am currently married

and have been married only to my wife, I'll try to scan the document later and post it here

for your reference, I was very thankful to MR. BLU coz if not for that tip,

I would have been in a short delay, probably a week or 2 or even more, just because I failed

to provide that CENOMAR, it is a trap, luckily I did not fell for it...

Good luck,...

PD ~ June 18, 2009

IMMIGRANT VISA APPROVED ~ March 15, 2012

VISA ON HAND ~ March 21, 2012

TOUCHDOWN California ~ April 8, 2012

GREEN CARD ON HAND ~ April 27, 2012

DMV Written ~ May 1, 2012 (passed TAKE 1)

DMV Actual ~ May 21, 2012 (passed TAKE 1)

California Driver's License ON HAND - June 11, 2012

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

You need a CENOMAR,

We just had our interview last March 15, 2012

and thanks to Mr. BLU here in VJ,

whom suggested that I bring a CENOMAR to the interview,

like you I was adamant to bring a CENOMAR coz I am only married

to my wife and to no one else, and by bring the NSO Marriage Certificate,

I thought that it was proof enough, but I was wrong,

so before I went to the interview I decided to get a CENOMAR from the NSO,

it says in the CENOMAR that the NSO is certifying that I am currently married

and have been married only to my wife, I'll try to scan the document later and post it here

for your reference, I was very thankful to MR. BLU coz if not for that tip,

I would have been in a short delay, probably a week or 2 or even more, just because I failed

to provide that CENOMAR, it is a trap, luckily I did not fell for it...

Good luck,...

What you got was a CEMAR, not a CENOMAR, though they are obtained using the same form.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Whatever it is called here it is:

Again Thanks to MR. BLU,..!

CENOMAR.jpg

PD ~ June 18, 2009

IMMIGRANT VISA APPROVED ~ March 15, 2012

VISA ON HAND ~ March 21, 2012

TOUCHDOWN California ~ April 8, 2012

GREEN CARD ON HAND ~ April 27, 2012

DMV Written ~ May 1, 2012 (passed TAKE 1)

DMV Actual ~ May 21, 2012 (passed TAKE 1)

California Driver's License ON HAND - June 11, 2012

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.