jpatel1218

IRS tax return

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hello all,

I was gathering all the papaer works for N-400. In the check list they are asking for IRS certified copy of income tax forms or IRS tax return transcript. My question is do i have to get this copy from IRS? or i can just take my tax return that i filed to post office and have it certified? I entered in USA january 2009, i got married in february 2009 so my husband and I filed tax return for 2009 and 2010 we still have not filed 2011 yet. is it ok if we just send two years tax return. please help and thnaks in advance.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hello all,

I was gathering all the papaer works for N-400. In the check list they are asking for IRS certified copy of income tax forms or IRS tax return transcript. My question is do i have to get this copy from IRS? or i can just take my tax return that i filed to post office and have it certified? I entered in USA january 2009, i got married in february 2009 so my husband and I filed tax return for 2009 and 2010 we still have not filed 2011 yet. is it ok if we just send two years tax return. please help and thnaks in advance.

I think you are a little confused about what is required. Contact the IRS by phone, in person or on line to obtain the transcripts. They are free and can be faxed, mailed or obtained at an IRS office.

You cant supply what you havent filed so you will have to hope they will accept what you do have. If not you will get an RFE for the additional required tax info.

Edited by Ning

Filed: Timeline

You can go to the local IRS office and get copies of your tax returns. Just take your id (Driver License worked for me) and they will print it out for you for free.

You can also order them online at http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=232168,00.html and it takes a week for them to mail it to you.

I am not sure if the above counts as certified so ask the IRS agent on phone or at the office about that.

Figaro

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Have no idea what a certified tax return is, what the IRS wants is a return with your actual signature on it, not a copy of your signature. But far more common now are electronic returns. That gets to be a pain in the butt, have to hand type all of your W-2's and 1099's for an electronic return. A computer can check your numbers as the IRS already has these numbers, your name, and SS number.

With an actual return, USCIS would want to see your original W-2's and 1099's plus any other rarer forms of earnings. That also gets to be a pain the butt, transcripts are so much easier. Transcripts are very easy to forge, but not a good idea, on that transcript is all the information anyone needs to get tax transcripts from the IRS and doesn't take a genius to learn if your transcript is identical.

You would be shocked to learn what the IRS knows about you, they know so much about you, could just as easily send you a tax bill and not put your through all that misery of going through their 1025 different forms and 13,000 pages of tax laws. Just get the tax transcripts, free, can do it over the phone by knowing your name, address, and SS number. Takes about a week. They can actually go back four years.

Filed: Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Have no idea what a certified tax return is, what the IRS wants is a return with your actual signature on it, not a copy of your signature. But far more common now are electronic returns. That gets to be a pain in the butt, have to hand type all of your W-2's and 1099's for an electronic return. A computer can check your numbers as the IRS already has these numbers, your name, and SS number.

With an actual return, USCIS would want to see your original W-2's and 1099's plus any other rarer forms of earnings. That also gets to be a pain the butt, transcripts are so much easier. Transcripts are very easy to forge, but not a good idea, on that transcript is all the information anyone needs to get tax transcripts from the IRS and doesn't take a genius to learn if your transcript is identical.

You would be shocked to learn what the IRS knows about you, they know so much about you, could just as easily send you a tax bill and not put your through all that misery of going through their 1025 different forms and 13,000 pages of tax laws. Just get the tax transcripts, free, can do it over the phone by knowing your name, address, and SS number. Takes about a week. They can actually go back four years.

A certified tax return is basically a copy of your tax return signed by the IRS proofing it is not only what your have filled out but also what you filed for that year. What I remember is that it costs about 50 dollars to get it form the IRS. A tax transcript is free and serves the same purpose to USCIS so definitely go for transcripts (i.e. summary of your return). You can order them online or by phone and you'll receive them within a week or so.

O by the way, I did not submit tax information as the first option asks for one or more of the options. I ended up sending a joint mortgage statement and bank statement. So far USCIS seems to be okay with it.

N-400 application timeline

02-22-2012-- (00): documents sent

02-23-2012-- (01): NOA date

02-27-2012-- (05): check cashed

03-02-2012-- (09): bio appointment notice sent, bio date 03-15 (23)

03-05-2012-- (12): bio notice received

03-06-2012-- (13): early bio

03-12-2012-- (19): in line for interview scheduling

03-21-2012-- (28): scheduled for interview

03-28-2012-- (35): interview notice received

05-02-2012-- (70): interview. Rec. for Approval!

05-16-2012-- (84): in line for oath scheduling

06-19-2012-(118): scheduled for oath

06-21-2012-(120): oath letter received

07-06-2012-(135): oath

Passport application timeline

07-10-2012-- (00): application sent (card+book/routine service)

07-17-2012-- (07): application status online

07-26-2012-- (16): application on hold (name too long)

07-28-2012-- (18): RFI Tucson passport center (proposed shortened name) letter received

07-30-2012-- (20): reply sent to Tucson passport center

08-18-2012-- (39): passport book received

08-21-2012-- (42): passport card received

08-21-2012-- (42): CON received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.