mydream2012

CR1/IR1 to bring her from India

62 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

Mydream2012, I just got court married in Delhi few weeks back, and now preparing the paperwork to file I-130. If you have any specific questions, I will be more than happy to help you out.

thanks a lot for the offer. yes i will need yours and all the other helpful member's help here in very near future.

right now planning to go over and get a court marriage done. gonna cost me a lot in bribe money, like $500 minimum.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

the marriage registrar is saying that they dont need/want the noc from the embassy. what's your take on it? should i still get it from the embassy anyways?

If they're saying they don't need one, then you might as well go ahead and just get married.

07/14/2011 Wedding

USCIS (187 days)

08/16/2011 I-130 filed

08/19/2011 NOA1
02/22/2012 NOA2

NVC (14 days)
03/08/2012 NVC case #, IIN, emailed DS-3032
03/13/2012 AOS invoiced & paid
03/14/2012 AOS package mailed
03/16/2012 DS-3032 acceptance
03/19/2012 IV bill invoiced and paid
03/20/2012 DS-230 package sent
03/22/2012 Case Complete
04/10/2012 Interview date assigned; packet IV received
MEDICALS/US CONSULATE/POE
05/02/2012 Medicals
05/09/2012 Interview APPROVED
05/11/2012 Visa in hand
05/24/2012 POE TORONTO
06/28/2012 Got SSN and Green Card

ROC

02/27/2014 Package sent

02/28/2014 NOA1

03/28/2014 Biometrics

06/20/2014 Approved

06/22/2014 Got the 10-yr GC
N-400

03/03/2015 Package sent

03/10/2015 Check encashed

03/13/2015 NOA

03/26/2015 Fingerprints

04/27/2015 In line

06/19/2015 Interview letter

07/23/2015 Interview

08/19/2015 Oath ceremony

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

the marriage registrar is saying that they dont need/want the noc from the embassy. what's your take on it? should i still get it from the embassy anyways?

Why don't you look at getting married via the Hindu Marriage Act? You don't necessarily have to go to that particular temple/priest that you were mentioning earlier. You can go to any temple that would allow you to get married and sign their register. That's what we did. We went to a temple which is an hour and half away from my city, got married there, signed their register, and later proceeded to the subregistrar's office to register our marriage. We did print a coupla cards for future evidence purposes too. We got the certificate in hand in a week's time. If you still don't wanna go that route, then you can just do the civil wedding, but I'd say you get that NOC even if the registrar is saying you don't need it at the moment. You never know when these people could change their mind. Just go to the consulate in Delhi and get the NOC as required. If you can fix up an appointment even before you head out to India, it'll make it all the more easier for you.

07/14/2011 Wedding

USCIS (187 days)

08/16/2011 I-130 filed

08/19/2011 NOA1
02/22/2012 NOA2

NVC (14 days)
03/08/2012 NVC case #, IIN, emailed DS-3032
03/13/2012 AOS invoiced & paid
03/14/2012 AOS package mailed
03/16/2012 DS-3032 acceptance
03/19/2012 IV bill invoiced and paid
03/20/2012 DS-230 package sent
03/22/2012 Case Complete
04/10/2012 Interview date assigned; packet IV received
MEDICALS/US CONSULATE/POE
05/02/2012 Medicals
05/09/2012 Interview APPROVED
05/11/2012 Visa in hand
05/24/2012 POE TORONTO
06/28/2012 Got SSN and Green Card

ROC

02/27/2014 Package sent

02/28/2014 NOA1

03/28/2014 Biometrics

06/20/2014 Approved

06/22/2014 Got the 10-yr GC
N-400

03/03/2015 Package sent

03/10/2015 Check encashed

03/13/2015 NOA

03/26/2015 Fingerprints

04/27/2015 In line

06/19/2015 Interview letter

07/23/2015 Interview

08/19/2015 Oath ceremony

Timeline

Why don't you look at getting married via the Hindu Marriage Act? You don't necessarily have to go to that particular temple/priest that you were mentioning earlier. You can go to any temple that would allow you to get married and sign their register. That's what we did. We went to a temple which is an hour and half away from my city, got married there, signed their register, and later proceeded to the subregistrar's office to register our marriage. We did print a coupla cards for future evidence purposes too. We got the certificate in hand in a week's time. If you still don't wanna go that route, then you can just do the civil wedding, but I'd say you get that NOC even if the registrar is saying you don't need it at the moment. You never know when these people could change their mind. Just go to the consulate in Delhi and get the NOC as required. If you can fix up an appointment even before you head out to India, it'll make it all the more easier for you.

thanks, thats a good idea, i will get the noc, just in case.

Timeline

i was in india to see family when i first met her in january, but i have no proof(pictures) that we met, except for stamps in my passport showing that i was in india.

should i use this info in my application to show that we met first in january. or is it better to not say this, as i have no proof of us being together in january?

is it necessary to do a engagement(ring ceremony) before the court marriage? honestly i just want to do a court marriage only, as i cant get a lot of vacation days. so, just going there for two short trips, one for application, second for marriage and then filing for CR1, will this be a problem or is it going to cause any issues or red flags with the embassy?

Timeline

so it seems that the NOC from delhi embassy is just a preformatted letter that i have to fill out and they will notarize it.

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/india/635775/ACS/Affidavit%20-%20Marriage.pdf

i thought they would create something and give it to me, now i am not so sure if its a good idea to get it, since they will just notarize it and give it to me.do they keep a record of it? for using when i file for CR1?

any advice or help is appreciated.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

i was in india to see family when i first met her in january, but i have no proof(pictures) that we met, except for stamps in my passport showing that i was in india.

should i use this info in my application to show that we met first in january. or is it better to not say this, as i have no proof of us being together in january?

is it necessary to do a engagement(ring ceremony) before the court marriage? honestly i just want to do a court marriage only, as i cant get a lot of vacation days. so, just going there for two short trips, one for application, second for marriage and then filing for CR1, will this be a problem or is it going to cause any issues or red flags with the embassy?

Your passport stamps and plane tickets stubs ARE proof. Actually material like passport stamps, flight itineraries, and ticket stubs are primary forms of evidence. Pictures are secondary evidence. Therefore the proof you have now is strong. Also, never lie in your application. If you file for a K-1, it specifically asks the circumstances in which you met. Tell the truth.

If you want to do an engagement ceremony, its completely yours and your fiancee's decision. I have seen couples who have both done formal engagements and those who have not get approved. If you don't do one, be prepared to explain why you didn't do one as it may come up in the interview.

Personally, we did an informal engagement at my fiance's home in India. We exchanged rings in front of his family then sat down for a meal. Very simple affair.

I am the petitioner.

VMETm4.png

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

so it seems that the NOC from delhi embassy is just a preformatted letter that i have to fill out and they will notarize it.

http://photos.state....%20Marriage.pdf

i thought they would create something and give it to me, now i am not so sure if its a good idea to get it, since they will just notarize it and give it to me.do they keep a record of it? for using when i file for CR1?

any advice or help is appreciated.

I wouldn't get an NOC unless you are sure you want to be married in India. I'm not sure if they keep a record of you obtaining one at the consulate but I personally would not want to take any unnecessary risks.

I am the petitioner.

VMETm4.png

Timeline

yes, i will be getting married in india. i will be going there soon for court marriage. so just wasn't sure if not doing an engagement ceremony before the court marriage is considered bad by the embassy.

i am not interested in doing one anyways, but if its too important for embassy, i might do a small one with our families only and take some pics for them.

we are going to do a religious ceremony at the end of this year where we will have a grand engagement and wedding ceremony, so not sure if our interview will come up before that. if it does, can i just tell them the same, will this be sufficient for them?

one of the members here told me that i should definitely go get a NOC, even though the marriage registrar has said that they dont need one. as you can see its just a affidavit notarized by the embassy and nothing more.

what do you recommend, should i still go ahead and get one?

is printing it on plain paper good enough, or what do you recommend?

thanks

Edited by mydream2012

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline

thanks. is there a huge list of all these things somewhere? so i can see how much of it i can obtain easily.

Hey there...I thought I would add that there is a GREAT resource on this website. You see the main menu at the top Home-Forums-Portals-Guides, etc. Click on Guide and check out the details and requirements for the IR1-CR1 Marriage visa... It's GREAT and gives you details to assemble all of your documents once you collect them for your packet. My husband and I are doing the CR-1 as we married in India and I'm here in the U.S.

Best of luck to you!! :thumbs:

Timeline

one of the members here told me that i should definitely go get a NOC, even though the marriage registrar has said that they dont need one.

as you can see its just a affidavit notarized by the embassy and nothing more.

Edited by mydream2012

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline

one of the members here told me that i should definitely go get a NOC, even though the marriage registrar has said that they dont need one.

as you can see its just a affidavit notarized by the embassy and nothing more.

From this paper, it appears to be what is referred to as a "single status affidavit" or certificate of record--not an NOC. When my husband and I married in Hyderabad, we had the India equivalent to a paralegal. To my knowledge we didn't have an NOC. I would go ahead and fill this out and have it notarized to be safe.

Here is a link that might be helpful to you if you plan to marry in New Delhi http://delhi.gov.in/wps/wcm/connect/DoIT/delhi+govt/community/marriage+certificate+and+registration I would follow the rules for application and registration for the area you plan to marry first. When everything is satisfied by the courts there, then take the marriage certificate to Ministry of External Affairs to be attested/notarized for use abroad. Hope this helps!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.