BR549

what to tell canadian customs

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Sorry to post so many times but I have a couple more questions. I was wondering what I tell Canadian customs when i'm going in to canada. would it be wise to tell them i'm there for my husband's interview? I visited him a lot in October and i mentioned i was visiting my husband once when i was crossing and they sent me into a room and held me up for quite some time.

Also the court document we were waiting on was for a DUI my husband got about 10 yrs. ago. Do you think this will cause any trouble in being approved? It was a long time ago and he was just barely over the limit, which the court document shows and he took classes. He hasn't had any other trouble with the law at all.....ever. I wouldn't think it would be a problem but as the interview gets closer i get more and more nervous.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

As far as I know a DUI conviction will require a waiver. I would look into it more and be prepared!!!

AOS

August 30, 2005 - AOS, , AP applications mailed to Chicago Lockbox

September 9, 2005 - NOA's for AOS, AP, (dated Sept. 1)

November 28, 2005 - AOS biometrics - refused EAD biometrics at the same time

December 5, 2005 - AP approved

December 7, 2005 - Infopass appointment for interim EAD

December 12, 2005 - Received EAD card

December 13, 2005 - Received AP

June 14, 2005 - Case Status Inquiry/Tracer

June 19, 2005 - Letter sent to congressman

AOS INTERVIEW SCHEDULED FOR AUGUST 8, 2006

AOS approved - August 8th, 2006 - hooray - done with USCIS for now!

GREENCARD RECEIVED - August 18, 2006

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
As far as I know a DUI conviction will require a waiver. I would look into it more and be prepared!!!

Actually a DUI in and of itself is generally not considered a crime of moral turpitude and therefore does not require a waiver. If there were something associated with it like vehicular manslaughter or vehicular assault, that would be considered a crime of moral turpitude.

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

EMail the consulate and find out if it will be a problem!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Get your husband to send you a copy of the interview notice, 'accompanying my husband to his Visa interview' sounds a lot better than 'just visiting' (to me at least).

Sept 10 I-129F sent to TSC

Interview - February 13th APPROVED! day 152

April 6 - wedding date day 204

Aug 22 - AOS interview date day 101-total days 342

Sept 29 - green card arrives, done until June 2008 day 140-total days 381

June 30 - I-751 mailed total days 1025

March 9 - Removal of Conditions approved! total days 1277

Get your husband to send you a copy of the interview notice, 'accompanying my husband to his Visa interview' sounds a lot better than 'just visiting' (to me at least).

Agree with canucker is your Interview at Montreal??? :whistle:

PARENTS JOURNEY

Dec 10 - sent I130 for Mom & Dad

Jan- Recd NOA1

Feb- Recd RFE for missing BC

Mar- Recd RFE for missing BC

Apr- NOA2 Case approved

May- NVC case #

May- paid $88 AOS FEE

Sorry to post so many times but I have a couple more questions. I was wondering what I tell Canadian customs when i'm going in to canada. would it be wise to tell them i'm there for my husband's interview? I visited him a lot in October and i mentioned i was visiting my husband once when i was crossing and they sent me into a room and held me up for quite some time.

When asked what is the purpose of your trip - you should be honest and tell them you are going to visit him and accompany him to his US immigration interview at the consulate. Can't guarantee you won't be asked additional question but it will be to clarify that your entry into Canada is for what you say it is and you are not coming to live with him.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Pri........My interview is in vancouver.

that's what i figured about what to tell customs but i just don't want to say the wrong thing. But i already have a copy of the interview letter and i will bring that with me just in case. That is a good way to show i'm not staying. Thank you for your responses!

Timeline

Hmmm....this brings to mind a question too. The last few times I've flown into Canada to see Joel, the customs agent grills me when he/she finds out I'm there to see my fiancé. The smile disappears (well, when they remember to smile, that is) and the questions start. I plan on flying to Montréal to be with Joel at the interview. I get so tired of the same questions...what can I do to keep them from asking everything except my bra size? Or is this their job to ask so many questions?

BTW....if anyone flies to Canada with their child (if you're divorced) and you have a passport OR birth certificate for that child, you better have a letter from your ex stating that he/she knows you are flying out of the country....luckily I had a copy of my divorce settlement that stated what I had to give to my ex whenever I fly out of the country with my daughter. We have joint custody (sigh) and I do believe if it hadn't of been so late that night, she would have investigated this further with me. I offered to let her use my cellphone to call my ex, to prove he knew I was flying there. This lady told me "next time you fly here, you better have a letter signed by him proving he knows you're here".

Sigh

Edited by KarenCee

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

well fellas if Canada customs grills the USC the same is with the US customs they always ask me several questions infact i was thorougly chkd by 2 CBP officers at Peace Bridge, Fort Erie, last Oct 05

I have travelled a lot back and forth and I find the YYZ airport very comfy than land border crossings

PARENTS JOURNEY

Dec 10 - sent I130 for Mom & Dad

Jan- Recd NOA1

Feb- Recd RFE for missing BC

Mar- Recd RFE for missing BC

Apr- NOA2 Case approved

May- NVC case #

May- paid $88 AOS FEE

Or is this their job to ask so many questions?

Yes, it is their job.

I get so tired of the same questions...what can I do to keep them from asking everything except my bra size?

Answer all their questions truthfully until they are satisfied that you are a bon a fide visitor and your intent is to only visit and not to come and live in Canada illegally.

BTW....if anyone flies to Canada with their child (if you're divorced) and you have a passport OR birth certificate for that child, you better have a letter from your ex stating that he/she knows you are flying out of the country....luckily I had a copy of my divorce settlement that stated what I had to give to my ex whenever I fly out of the country with my daughter. We have joint custody (sigh) and I do believe if it hadn't of been so late that night, she would have investigated this further with me. I offered to let her use my cellphone to call my ex, to prove he knew I was flying there. This lady told me "next time you fly here, you better have a letter signed by him proving he knows you're here".

Every year thousands of children go missing - many of which end up to be parental abductions. Customs inspectors have recoved over 1150 runaway/ abducted children at the border. The officials are on full alert for children who need protection and therefor extra attention and questioning may be required as they enter Canada. Canada Customs works in partnership with RCMP, Our Missing Children, and numerous other foreign and local agencies.

If it was your child that was in danger of being abducted or taken illegally out of the country I am sure you would appreciate the work the officials do.

The following tips may be useful in helping you avoid delays when entering Canada

Tips for Parents and Guardians

Always carry proper identification for yourself and the child(ren), such as: birth cetificate; citizenship card; passport; baptismal certificate; Record of Landing (IMM1000) or Registered Indian Card.

If you have the legal custody of the child(ren), have copies of relevant documents such as: custody rights.

If you are not the legal guardian of the child(ren), carry a letter of permission or authorization for you to have custody when entering Canada. A letter would also facilitate entry for any one parent traveling with their child(ren). If possible, this permission should contain contact telephone numbers for the legal quardian or parent.

If you are traveling as part of a caravan, be sure that you are in the same vehicle as your child(ren) when you arrive at the border.

Have your child(ren) memorize your home and/or office telephone number and teach him/her to reach you in an emergency situation.

If you are traveling with children and encounter a few or more questions than normal from our Customs Inspectors or Immigration Officers, please be patient. The protection and safety of children is everybody's concern.

www.ourmissingchildren.gc.ca

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Hmmm....this brings to mind a question too. The last few times I've flown into Canada to see Joel, the customs agent grills me when he/she finds out I'm there to see my fiancé. The smile disappears (well, when they remember to smile, that is) and the questions start. I plan on flying to Montréal to be with Joel at the interview. I get so tired of the same questions...what can I do to keep them from asking everything except my bra size? Or is this their job to ask so many questions?

Sigh

Same thing happened to me Karen. When my son and I were coming back from the US. The officier asked who Jonathan was. I told him that he was my son. My last name and his are different so this casued him to question me for like 15 minutes. I couldnt believe it. My son was like thats my mom. He was 16 at the time. They told me the next time I had to have a court order showing that I had custody of him and that his father gave him permission to leave Canada. I couldnt believe the ###### they gave me trying to get back into my own Country. They didnt ask me anything about going to the US, it was the Canadian people giving me the hard time coming back home.

PEGGY & ROGER

3dflagsdotcom_canad_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

K-1/K-2 VISA'S APPROVED IN MONTREAL MAY 2, 2005

K-1/K-2 AOS APPROVED IN ATLANTA MAY 17, 2006

10 year GC Approved - APRIL 16th ,2009 - Peggy and Jonathan's......

Still waiting for our cards...Had to file I-90 as they sent them to the wrong address.

March 9th, 2010, Received GC that has been lost in the mail for 10 months. Still waiting for my son's that is lost as well.

Filed Waiver for my son's 10 year GC and it was approved. He finally received his GC after its been missing for 2 years.

Thanking God this is over for 10 years.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Always carry proper identification for yourself and the child(ren), such as: birth cetificate; citizenship card; passport; baptismal certificate; Record of Landing (IMM1000) or Registered Indian Card.

If you have the legal custody of the child(ren), have copies of relevant documents such as: custody rights.

She had all of that and they still gave her ###### for not having a letter from the parent who does not have primary custody. I do understand their concern in the matter however she did have the legal right to leave the country with her daughter and had the relevant documents supporting it.

Timeline

Or is this their job to ask so many questions?

Yes, it is their job.

I get so tired of the same questions...what can I do to keep them from asking everything except my bra size?

Answer all their questions truthfully until they are satisfied that you are a bon a fide visitor and your intent is to only visit and not to come and live in Canada illegally.

Every year thousands of children go missing - many of which end up to be parental abductions. Customs inspectors have recoved over 1150 runaway/ abducted children at the border. The officials are on full alert for children who need protection and therefor extra attention and questioning may be required as they enter Canada. Canada Customs works in partnership with RCMP, Our Missing Children, and numerous other foreign and local agencies.

If it was your child that was in danger of being abducted or taken illegally out of the country I am sure you would appreciate the work the officials do.

The following tips may be useful in helping you avoid delays when entering Canada

If you are not the legal guardian of the child(ren), carry a letter of permission or authorization for you to have custody when entering Canada. A letter would also facilitate entry for any one parent traveling with their child(ren). If possible, this permission should contain contact telephone numbers for the legal quardian or parent.

If you are traveling as part of a caravan, be sure that you are in the same vehicle as your child(ren) when you arrive at the border.

Have your child(ren) memorize your home and/or office telephone number and teach him/her to reach you in an emergency situation.

If you are traveling with children and encounter a few or more questions than normal from our Customs Inspectors or Immigration Officers, please be patient. The protection and safety of children is everybody's concern.

www.ourmissingchildren.gc.ca

i DO appreciate the work the officials do....really....but the attitude wasn't necessary. i offered her my cellphone and his phone number to call him if she wanted. no where on the travel.state.gov website does it say i needed to have any documentation other than what i had. i was truthful with her...and remained calm too. i know there are abducted children worldwide, but not everyone is guilty of that just because they come to a foreign country with their child. i guess i just got annoyed with her haughty attitude. if i had been haughty i could understand it from her.

yes, if it were my child that had been abducted, i would certainly be glad of the stringent methods used. i just think a nicer way of handling this was called for. :)

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

I am not trying to excuse anybody's rude or bad behaviour. I simply would like to clarify why we do as we do and give people guidance.

Unfortunately bad attitudes and experiences are everywhere in life and in every line of work.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.