Making an EAD appt. at Service Center through Info Pass

40 posts in this topic

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

GinFar,

I think someone is mis-understanding something in you communication with the USCIS 1-800 Misinformation Line, and I'm at a loss as to why the VJ FAQ says what is does about being able to apply locally at some District or Sub offices (local offices such as Orlando are not Service Centers, as you have referred to them in other posts). I can tell you that the USCIS National Customer Service Center has earned its nickname time and again, and that although the VJ FAQ is pretty good it is not perfect and does contain some mis-information.

With regard to processing times, I notice that the Orlando processing date for I-765 (I believe EAD applications for some classes of refuges may be processed locally) is behind the National Benefits Center processing date, and add to that your husband could already have been in queue had he filed his I-765 concurrent with his I-485 to the NBC, I fail to see how you expect that he will get his EAD more quickly through Orlando even if they do accept his application at the InfoPass appointment.

In any event, please do post a report of what happens at the InfoPass appointment.

Yodrak

If the information on VJ is out of date, then I suppose the information the 3 USCIS agents told me by phone is incorrect also?

..... I'm only telling you what the Orlando office can do according to USCIS agents. The average processing time filed directly at a local office, providing that office processes I-765s tends to be faster than when filing along with the I-485. It's not a wasted trip there for us.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline
I hope I am proved wrong.... because if not them another person has had there AOS/EAD delayed because of bad info from the 0800-misinfo line...

Kezzie

I-129F Sent: Nov. 14, 2005 - Approved: March 21, 2006 - Visa Received: Jun. 18, 2006 - US Entry: July 23, 2006 at JFK

MARRIED: AUG. 12, 2006 12:00 PM - AOS Filed: Sept. 27, 2006 NOA: Oct. 02, 2006 - Approved: YES~! - Green Card Received: Nov. 11, 2006

EAD e-Filed: Oct. 07, 2006 - NOA: Oct. 10, 2006 - Approved? - Ignored by USCIS as AOS came 1st - free money for USCIS~!

LIFTING CONDITIONS - I-751 Sent: Aug. 27, 2008 - APPROVED: May 27, 2009 - RECEIVED: July 13, 2009

NATURALIZATION - N-400 Filed: Oct. 18, 2011

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

GinFar ----> I hope Kezzie is wrong too but I really don't think so. We were also told by an officer after calling USCIS that our local service center should be able to process our EAD application. We filed with the I-485 and it has been close to 120 days since we filed. We went to an infopass appt on the 90th day and were told "ooops sorry we don't do that anymore - you just have to wait". I waited a month and called USCIS back and the lady told me "No the local center should process your card, your time is over 90 days." She marked our file, sent an inquiry and told us to make another appointment and go back - we are going Wednesday. Honestly I hope she's right but I have a feeling she's not.....

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Timeline

I get the feeling from your initial reply to the end, that if I tell you that you were only partly right that I know exactly what your reaction will be, but that's ok. I am just posting to clear and clarify everything from the beginning. First, I have never had any bad info from the helpline. Second, I suspect that their reputation for being unhelpful was either from those calling not asking what they need to know clearly, and also from MISINTERPRETING the responses, which is exactly what happened to me here from Kezzie's initial reply. Hers and anothers both said exactly that they have NEVER HEARD of filing for the EAD and the local center and receiving it faster than when sending it along with the AOS. Here is where Kezzie was wrong....sorry ;) . It had been available, at least here in Orlando, up to September 30 of this year. I got my direction from 3 different agents when I called on 3 different days prior to October 1. This is exactly why I verify and reverify everything I do. It's not stupid agents. I never said Kezzie was quoting anyone, and I have read all of the same info that everyone here has read on the official USCIS site. Everyone needs to keep in mind that things change often with immigration; hence this confusion about locally filing EADs. There have been more changes even in this last month. This is not the fault of the agents on the helpline. They have only current information that they see, often on the exact page I'm looking at while talking to them. It's up to us also to realize this and direct them accordingly to assist us by giving them more information about what we need to know. That is when they usually put you on hold to look further into it. Don't let them rush you. They are normally quite willing once you make them realize the problem. They are not mind readers.

As of October 1, no local offices accept any NEW filings, not just EADs. I was not wrong with the information I had as of September 30.

SO, a lot of people here have been asking a LOT of questions about e-filing the EAD. I will not presume to know everything as some do. I will only say, we did this on Saturday. My husband received a confirmation page to print in duplicate, and it does say that if the paper application requires supporting documents (i.e., 2 photos and a copy of the I-94), they need to be sent with one of the confirmation pages as a cover letter, which we did directly. I'll post dates about these filings later, as I'm sure this is just as new for everyone as it is for us and none of us know if it will truly be faster as is stated officially EVERYWHERE. I'll quote it if I need to defend myself again, which is likely. :D This e-filed EAD goes to Missouri, along with our supporting documents, not Chicago, where our AOS is. I'm not sure why about that, but I'd like to know out of curiosity if anyone has an answer for that.

My husband's EAD does state that he will receive a letter for a biometrics appointment, but so does the AOS receipt, so we're not sure if that means he has to go twice or what, but we'll find out later. NO big deal if he has to go twice.

Also, yes, I called the local offices service centers often by error. It's too bad everyone catches errors from everyone else, and not their own. I know it's not a service center. ;) If that small error is a big deal, sorry about that. WE are all only human here, ALL of us.

I-129F Sent: Nov. 14, 2005 - Approved: March 21, 2006 - Visa Received: Jun. 18, 2006 - US Entry: July 23, 2006 at JFK

MARRIED: AUG. 12, 2006 12:00 PM - AOS Filed: Sept. 27, 2006 NOA: Oct. 02, 2006 - Approved: YES~! - Green Card Received: Nov. 11, 2006

EAD e-Filed: Oct. 07, 2006 - NOA: Oct. 10, 2006 - Approved? - Ignored by USCIS as AOS came 1st - free money for USCIS~!

LIFTING CONDITIONS - I-751 Sent: Aug. 27, 2008 - APPROVED: May 27, 2009 - RECEIVED: July 13, 2009

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

But even before the change effective October 1, 2006, I thought local offices would issue interim EADs, but not regular EADs. Those need to be filed through Chicago.

FYI, applications are sent to the Chicago lockbox and forwarded from there to Missouri.

Timeline

It will. We're confident about it. Thanks for the fast reply. I knew you would be there. You always are. I'm signing off. We have a life outside of VJ as much fun as this is. I'll post as soon as we have something new about the e-filed EAD. I'm feeling really good about him working soon. Another thing, I agree with everyone who says the temporary permit is basically a waste of time, of course, unless you have connections to be employed temporarily. All of his almost-offers for work were met with, "Call us when you get your new card..." We went through a lot to have him come in via JFK just to be sure to have his I-94 stamped, and he never worked. Now his 90 days is coming, so there's no point in continuing to try to find work. He's been so good trying to stay positive and keep busy, God love him. (L) I know once he gets this EAD, he'll feel so much better.

I wish we had gone to Orlando for it before September 30, then I'd have the proof everyone refuses to believe existed prior to now, but what matters most is what's accomplised in the end.

Prior to October 1, you could get new EADs, not just interims.

Timeline

I always find it amazing that when people defend their research to those who seem to behave as if they can't possibly be wrong about any point they are said to react in a hostile way. I suppose I should have just said thank you to the first response and bowed to those more knowledgeable (even if onlyh in their own minds ;) ), but I have confidence in my research and am happy to share it the same as everyone here. I too am not sure why the insecure need to insult others by calling them hostile but I assure you, I was smiling at every keystroke I typed. I have been helped by many on VJ and made many friends, and met others who seem to have nothing else to do but reply to every post with free "advise". I wonder if they do anything else in their lives, but that's for them, not me.

My husband and I always are grateful for the "helpful" assistance from those who have facts based on thorough research. It's why we keep coming back here when we go through another hurdle in this long process.

Filed: Timeline

Nothing I told you was not backed up by fact.... and no I am not insecure and yes I have plenty of thing in my life other than VJ...... But I am glad you think that prior to the end of sept you could have walked in and got your EAD locally by just filing the form and a copy of your NOA1 for AOS... you find us evidence of people who have been able to do this in the last year because I have not seen anyone on here or other forums that have been able to do this... the only thing some offices did was accept the forms and forward them to the lockbox....

As for knowing everything NO I DONT I am still learning but I am happy to say around and try to help other who may need it..... you are hostile in your manner and qick to insult... but hey everyone to there own.. you feel you have reasons and who am I to try to help someone who cant be helped.....

Kezzie

Timeline
:D You show ME where I said you could walk in and get it....and I never said they were not forwarded. I said they were processed faster than if they were sent with the AOS, providing the district office took them, and now nobody does, so aren't you being a little defensive if you aren't trying to be right about something that is basically a moot point now? Try to be a little different and not so predictable. It's more refreshing like that.

I wish we had gone to Orlando for it before September 30, then I'd have the proof everyone refuses to believe existed prior to now, but what matters most is what's accomplised in the end.

Prior to October 1, you could get new EADs, not just interims.

I haven't any clue how Orlando operates, so what you stated prior to Sept 30 may well be true, however you posted on October 5th that you wanted to set up an Infopass to hand your EAD app to the local office. Regardless if 3 agents told you previously, and as you stated things change so frequently! Your information was outdated, and the information we provided you was accurate!

You e-filed, THAT is your "accomplishment" as well as arguing a moot point. :lol:

Good luck to ya!

Edited by lal_brandow

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.