10 posts in this topic

Can anyone help clear this one up

I moved to America in July 2011

2 weeks later I applied for my SSN

I became a resident in December 2011

In January 2012 I started a job with no issues with my green card or SSN

Everything was fine until I applied for credit

Even now I have a credit score of Zero, this didn't help

But because of the words on my SSN card and because I have a New York SSN and live in California the bank threw their toys out of the pram and I have to get my credit from somewhere else at a much worse rate

Anyone have similar experience?

Is there anything I can do to fix this problem?

event.png

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

This is normal. Having a NY SSN in California has nothing to do with it. You need to establish a credit score. Now you have none because you haven't had credit in the US before. The words on your SSN have nothing to do with it either, but you can get a new card with the words removed if you want (you have a GC now).

Also, the SSN and the credit score are two separate things. The credit companies only use the SSN for id purposes, but the score has no effect on your SSN for its intended purpose, which is government retirement benefits. You don't need a credit score to get a job, just the SSN number, you see, so of course it worked fine for a job.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

I think you've missed the point I was trying to make

I got credit for what I was buying, not at a very good rate but I got credit so I'm building credit

My issue is that because I have a New York SSN and because my SSN card says 'valid only for work with DHS authorisation' or words to that affect the bank got very touchy about it and denied me credit

I don't want to go through the same problems again when I try and get a mortgage

event.png

No, you are missing my point. I would educate yourself on the parts of the process because you are mixing up stuff.

You "got credit" so you were offered credit, but you said the rate was bad. This tells me your "credit score" is not populating a number or a good one. I am 100% positive that you were not denied credit by the bank for anything to do with what your SSN says. It makes no difference where your SSN is from. It's a national system. Also, the wording on the card makes no difference. They "got touchy" because your credit score is not populating.

This will be a problem when you ask for a mortgage, unless you work on getting a credit score. A credit score is a number in the 300-800 range that is invented by a private company which tells banks and lenders how risky of a client you are. You can still get offered credit with no number, but for something big like a mortgage, you will need a good score.

Here read this: www.myfico.com

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

I was actually replying to the reply above you, there's no need to be so condescending

And I'm sorry but the word of the bank means more than yours. I'm just saying what they told me. I was approved for a car loan, and when the bank processed the paperwork they changed their mind, and those were the reasons given. An alternative loan was sourced at a much worse rate

event.png

Similar thing here. I have an excellent credit score overseas, and none here. I am told that no score is actually worse than a bad score. So my interest rate is higher that it would otherwise have been. Until I can establish a credit rating, that will be the case.

As far as the wording on your SSN card, you can have that removed, for free. Once I had my 2 year GC, I went back and showed them the proof, and my new card does not have wording at all.

The two are not usually related, no matter what you bank has given you as an excuse for not providing you with a car loan.

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

You should never have to show your SS card except maybe for a first driver's license. The banker, not actually familiar with immigration, might have been put off by the words on the card because it looks like having a job might be shakey or something. It was only his judgement because he didn't understand it. Memorize you SSN and fill it in on applications without pulling out the card. And pop into a SS office and order a new card.

I agree with the others. The people with high credit scores get better rates offered. That why I got a mortgage in my name only. It would have taken longer and been a higher interest rate if I had included my new UK husband who wasn't working yet. I have a long, long history and high credit score. He had nothing yet, but they would have factored that into a joint application. Have you heard the commercials with the disclosure blurb something like "this offer available to well-qualified buyers." At this point, you aren't yet classified as a well-qualified buyer because you haven't established a credit history.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

I think you're right about the person being confused, they seemed to think that because my SSN card says 'valid for work only' that it couldn't be used for anything other than work, ignoring the rest of the words on the card. The rate we got on the loan is pretty bad, but we're going to pay it off quickly, and then I should at least have some credit next time.

If we assume the issues with the card and number are down to poor training at least it's one less thing to worry about

Irony of it is that I am the main bread winning in our home, I earn twice what my wife does

event.png

If we assume the issues with the card and number are down to poor training at least it's one less thing to worry about

You'll find that your banker, cops, employers, Social Security office workers, and the DMV aren't really trained in federal immigration law. And K1s with their SS card stamped that way before EAD/greencard are such a tiny percentage of the general immigrant population that they are really at a disadvantage because they may be the first of their kind that worker ever encountered even with years at their job. Read up on those tips for building a strong credit rating and it will improve your chances down the road. Sometimes how the credit score is determined defies all logic in my opinion.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.