che234

School Documents?

32 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Me and my Fiance discuss about my college when i get to states but the problem is i don't know what docs do i need to bring there?

I'm not a college graduate but i had previous years in college of the following program.

4 years of Bachelor of Science in Electronics and Communication Engineering ( ECE )

2 years of Information Technology (IT)

What docs they required? Can i enroll once i received my GC if ever ? Or i need to wait until my citizenship changed to permanent residence before i can enroll to college.

I'm really confused , i have all the docs when i was still in high school like diploma , good moral etc but i don't know if my college transcript will be used there? :unsure: I have two transcript of record since i went to two different schools. I really need an answer for this one so i will know what docs do i need to bring to states when i leave :) thank you so much!

All you need is a proof of residency if you are not an international students, and a transcript in college since you were attend a college class. I just asked the school few days ago. As far as I knew thats all they want but sometimes it will matter in which school you go to.

Hope you'll get more info regarding this matter.

Have a great day!

Timeline

All you need is a proof of residency if you are not an international students, and a transcript in college since you were attend a college class. I just asked the school few days ago. As far as I knew thats all they want but sometimes it will matter in which school you go to.

Hope you'll get more info regarding this matter.

Have a great day!

Proof of residency you mean i can enroll by august while waiting for the AOS process if ever? Also is it really necessary to have college transcript though i know that i will be back from the start since states will not credit any subjects i took up during my college here in PH. I will first enroll in Tulsa Community College but once I'm done with the associate program i will transfer to a state university for a bachelor course..

Thank you so much for your reply chane much appreciated. Hope someone will reply on my thread and provide me more details regarding this matter.

Looking forward for more response from VJerz!

Edited by timchen

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

From both school sis? I'm still on process about requesting my transcript of records i hope it won't take long :whistle: .

Yes sis, just bring from both school. I am also taking my TOR for my job application soon. :) Or if you can't have it on your trip then just ask someone to get it for you. Be sure to leave an authorization letter.

Timeline

Yes sis, just bring from both school. I am also taking my TOR for my job application soon. :) Or if you can't have it on your trip then just ask someone to get it for you. Be sure to leave an authorization letter.

I will surely do your advice sis thank you for the response :D

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Me and my Fiance discuss about my college when i get to states but the problem is i don't know what docs do i need to bring there?

I'm not a college graduate but i had previous years in college of the following program.

4 years of Bachelor of Science in Electronics and Communication Engineering ( ECE )

What docs they required? Can i enroll once i received my GC if ever ? Or i need to wait until my citizenship changed to permanent residence before i can enroll to college.

I'm really confused , i have all the docs when i was still in high school like diploma , good moral etc but i don't know if my college transcript will be used there? :unsure: I have two transcript of record since i went to two different schools. I really need an answer for this one so i will know what docs do i need to bring to states when i leave :) thank you so much!

You won't need to wait to be a citizen to attend college, you may do so as a LPR. For sure bring your transcripts with you, all of them -- including your diplomas. When you talk to the admissions counselors at your preferred school, ask them about having your already completed classes evaluated.

Colleges and universities work with credential evaluation agencies -- so you may not need to take as many classes in pursuit of your degree.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

You can apply already even without your GC yet.. some schools will allow you to start without GC and some won't. But its definitely ok to apply. Bring your TOR coz you never know they might credit some of your classes :) Goodluck! School here is tough but you'll meet lots of great people! :)

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Get your college and high school transcripts and diplomas (if any) have them translated to English (if needed) and send them to an evaluator to have them do an evaluation of US equivilency. We used "ECE" Google "ECE"

Bring these documents with you of course, but you can get them evaluated now and be ready. No need to wait until you get here.

Edited by Gary and Alla

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

You won't need to wait to be a citizen to attend college, you may do so as a LPR. For sure bring your transcripts with you, all of them -- including your diplomas. When you talk to the admissions counselors at your preferred school, ask them about having your already completed classes evaluated.

Colleges and universities work with credential evaluation agencies -- so you may not need to take as many classes in pursuit of your degree.

You mean they will credit my previous classes? I'm working with my TOR now most of my class when i was still studying ECE . Classes are just the same as in Tulsa but not sure if they will credit that.

You can apply already even without your GC yet.. some schools will allow you to start without GC and some won't. But its definitely ok to apply. Bring your TOR coz you never know they might credit some of your classes :) Goodluck! School here is tough but you'll meet lots of great people! :)

Wow so it means i can start enrolling this year so by august i can start my college there? :P sounds exciting , yepie i will bring my TOR with me hope they will credit some of my classes so it won't take long for me to finish my college.

Get your college and high school transcripts and diplomas (if any) have them translated to English (if needed) and send them to an evaluator to have them do an evaluation of US equivilency. We used "ECE" Google "ECE"

Bring these documents with you of course, but you can get them evaluated now and be ready. No need to wait until you get here.

I have few filipino class but that's okey if they will not credit that , most of major classes are english anyway so i think they will credit that one hopefully :) thank you for the response guys ;)

You can apply/ enroll even if you're LPR. You will have to enter your Alien number in your application. You should start looking up and visiting the school websites now to give you an idea what requirements they would need from you. In my school (Univ. of MN), they didn't honor my Transcript because they required me to have my college in Philippines to send it to them with certification that the classes were taught in English. They evaluated my TOR and gave me credits for English and Math subjects. I am sure, some of your subjects will be credited but all of them (whether it's related to your future major or not) will be counted against your maximum timeframe (number of credits attempted) which will affect your eligibility for financial aid if you plan to apply.

September 2007-- Met Online (FilipinaHeart.com)
March 12,2009-- Married at Quezon City Hall of Justice
USCIS/NVC STAGE
May 8,2009-- I-130 Sent
August 17,2009-- I-130 Approved
August 26, 2009--case received at NVC
November 5,2009--CASE COMPLETED
USEM MANILA STAGE/ U.S. SOIL
November 17-18,2009--Medical PASSED
December 10, 2009--Interview @ 8:30AM A-P-P-R-O-V-E-D
January 25, 2010--FLIGHT(Manila-Japan-Detroit,MI-Buffalo,NY)
February 22,2010-- 2-yr GREEN CARD received
February 26, 2010--SSN received
REMOVING of CONDITIONS
December 22, 2011-- I-751 mailed
February 28, 2012-- Biometrics done

October 10, 2012-- 10-yr GREEN CARD received
NATURALIZATION
January 09, 2013-- sent N-400
January 28, 2013-- Biometrics

May 22, 2013-- Interview Passed- Officially a US Citizen!

Timeline

You can apply/ enroll even if you're LPR. You will have to enter your Alien number in your application. You should start looking up and visiting the school websites now to give you an idea what requirements they would need from you. In my school (Univ. of MN), they didn't honor my Transcript because they required me to have my college in Philippines to send it to them with certification that the classes were taught in English. They evaluated my TOR and gave me credits for English and Math subjects. I am sure, some of your subjects will be credited but all of them (whether it's related to your future major or not) will be counted against your maximum timeframe (number of credits attempted) which will affect your eligibility for financial aid if you plan to apply.

Hey bowgirl thanks for the response atleast now i'm aware about some of the requirements. I may need to go back to the school and ask their authorization letter. Btw what's the alien number you are talking about? :unsure: I visited the website but i don't see info there for transferees :(

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

You mean they will credit my previous classes? I'm working with my TOR now most of my class when i was still studying ECE . Classes are just the same as in Tulsa but not sure if they will credit that.

Wow so it means i can start enrolling this year so by august i can start my college there? :P sounds exciting , yepie i will bring my TOR with me hope they will credit some of my classes so it won't take long for me to finish my college.

I have few filipino class but that's okey if they will not credit that , most of major classes are english anyway so i think they will credit that one hopefully :) thank you for the response guys ;)

Yes some of your classes very well could be credited toward the completion of a degree. The credential evaluation agency will evaluate your classes based on the criteria they use to do so, if the classes meet those standards, they will credit those classes.

Depending on the credential evaluation agency and their protocol, some agencies will not accept transcripts you submit to them -- the transcripts must be sent directly from the school you attended in the Philippines to the credential evaluation agency.

Just to be a little more clear, in my first post, in no way did I mean to imply you had to wait until you have your GC when I used the term "LPR" -- I should've used 'legal resident,' considering you'll be admitted to the US legally. There are untold thousands attending colleges and universities here that have zero, nada, none and zilch legal status. As others have stated, you can attend school prior to receiving your GC. If you're breathing -- you can attend college/university in the US.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Timeline

Yes some of your classes very well could be credited toward the completion of a degree. The credential evaluation agency will evaluate your classes based on the criteria they use to do so, if the classes meet those standards, they will credit those classes.

Depending on the credential evaluation agency and their protocol, some agencies will not accept transcripts you submit to them -- the transcripts must be sent directly from the school you attended in the Philippines to the credential evaluation agency.

Just to be a little more clear, in my first post, in no way did I mean to imply you had to wait until you have your GC when I used the term "LPR" -- I should've used 'legal resident,' considering you'll be admitted to the US legally. There are untold thousands attending colleges and universities here that have zero, nada, none and zilch legal status. As others have stated, you can attend school prior to receiving your GC. If you're breathing -- you can attend college/university in the US.

Very well said leatherneck but there is a chance that i may need to go back from scratch :hehe: ouch!

I will put that in mind thanks anyway :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.