che234

School Documents?

32 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

You won't know until you get those classes evaluated -- think positively.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Any non-U.S. diploma's, degrees will need to be evaluated to the standards of www.naces.org. there are several member agencies (We will be using (World Education Services).

My wife has a BA in Economics from a university in the Philippines. She is considering obtaining as AA in Physical Therapy Assisting. The school requires international students to get their high school diploma, college degrees and even individual classes certified for the purpose of recognition for U.S. equivalency.

Last I knew, schools didn't accept hand carried transcripts. I thought that had to be sent from the previous school to the next.

Edited by Adam & May

----------------K1 Journey---------------

02/01/2010 - Sent I-129F sent to CSC Express Mail

02/03/2010 - Date on NOA1

02/09/2010 - NOA1 Hardcopy arrived in mail

03/18/2010 - NOA2 approval mailed by CSC (per USCIS.org)43 Days from NOA1

03/23/2010 - NOA2 Hardcopy Received

06/18/2010 - Interview Passed PINK!!!! PINK!!!! PINK!!!! PINK!!!! PINK!!!!

07/02/2010 - Visa received!

07/03/2010 & 07/05/2010 - PRISM Seminar & CFO Sticker (We are all set

08/08/2010 - May's POE Detroit, MI USA

09/24/2010 - Received SSN Card

10/08/2010 - Wedding

----------------AOS Journey---------------

12/07/2010 - Submitted AOS/EAD Package

12/14/2010 - NOA1 Received

12/27/2010 - Biometrics Completed

01/20/2011 - AOS Transfered to CSC

01/26/2011 - AOS Received by CSC

02/16/2011 - EAD Approved

N/A - AOS Appointment

02/22/2011 - AOS Appproved

02/26/2011 - EAD Card Received

02/27/2011 - Green Card Received

01/19/2013 - Mailed I-751

##/##/2013 - NOA1 Received

##/##/2013 - BIometrics Appointment

##/##/2013 - Interview

##/##/2013 - 10 Year Green Card Issued

FV%20US%20-%20Reg.jpg

Filed: Timeline

Based on personal experience and experience of friends, no US university or even community college accredit ANY Philippine Universities -- even our "prestigious" ones.

(I am )NLY referring to transfer credentials)

In short, back to level 1.

On the other hand, you might be able to get college loans. Tuition in the US are astronomical. The cost of those community colleges are more expensive the the most expensive private Universities in the Philippines.

But do not be discouraged. College in the US is fun, IMO. I personally find it more in depth that in the Philippines.

By the way, be sure to talk to a counselor and KNOW what you want to take. Coz if you plan to go to a University, you will have to take and complete to "General Education"

Edited by Kang

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

You won't know until you get those classes evaluated -- think positively.

Yeah i hope so..thanks for the advice :)

Any non-U.S. diploma's, degrees will need to be evaluated to the standards of www.naces.org. there are several member agencies (We will be using (World Education Services).

My wife has a BA in Economics from a university in the Philippines. She is considering obtaining as AA in Physical Therapy Assisting. The school requires international students to get their high school diploma, college degrees and even individual classes certified for the purpose of recognition for U.S. equivalency.

Last I knew, schools didn't accept hand carried transcripts. I thought that had to be sent from the previous school to the next.

I will still bring all my school credentials just in case . :unsure:

Based on personal experience and experience of friends, no US university or even community college accredit ANY Philippine Universities -- even our "prestigious" ones.

(I am )NLY referring to transfer credentials)

In short, back to level 1.

On the other hand, you might be able to get college loans. Tuition in the US are astronomical. The cost of those community colleges are more expensive the the most expensive private Universities in the Philippines.

But do not be discouraged. College in the US is fun, IMO. I personally find it more in depth that in the Philippines.

By the way, be sure to talk to a counselor and KNOW what you want to take. Coz if you plan to go to a University, you will have to take and complete to "General Education"

I know it's a lot of fun considering it's a new beginning and life for me :D i'm getting more excited haha and yeah hoping that they will accept my high school credentials. If i will be back to level 1 as long as it's in college level that's fine with me :D Thank you so much for your advice and response. I drop you a pm :D anyway.

I think high school credentials will do. They didn't let me go take high school. I think if you attended some college, you're good with it. The problem is transfer of college credentials. When I spoke to a counselor about my college units, she said they only accept accredited schools and when she looked at her reference, NO PHILIPPINE COLLEGE OR EVEN ONE UNIVERSITY is in the list.

In case, just being your transcripts. Better ready than nothing.

I have a friend in Maryland and he even attended Ateneo de Manila (one of the country's most prestigious and expensive Unis) and he was back to scratch in University of Maryland.

But don't sweat it. Enjoy college. It's something that sadly, Americans take for granted. Small community colleges are even more equipped than expensive Universities in the Philippines

Edited by Kang

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I think high school credentials will do. They didn't let me go take high school. I think if you attended some college, you're good with it. The problem is transfer of college credentials. When I spoke to a counselor about my college units, she said they only accept accredited schools and when she looked at her reference, NO PHILIPPINE COLLEGE OR EVEN ONE UNIVERSITY is in the list.

In case, just being your transcripts. Better ready than nothing.

I have a friend in Maryland and he even attended Ateneo de Manila (one of the country's most prestigious and expensive Unis) and he was back to scratch in University of Maryland.

But don't sweat it. Enjoy college. It's something that sadly, Americans take for granted. Small community colleges are even more equipped than expensive Universities in the Philippines

Ouch i spent almost 6 years in college now i need to go back from the scratch :blink:

if they will not let me go take high school too then thats good..No more headache about the college TOR.

Thanks for your advice kang i will put that in mind ;)

I was accepted to all the grad schools I applied to and was not asked to repeat any prerequisite college subjects. My bachelors was accepted and never even questioned.. I even got partial tuition waive and a job as a graduate assistant so never say never. You wont know until you try! All I did was have my transcript evaluated by WES. :)

It will depend though if your course in the philippines matches what you want to take here. Mine was both for speech and language pathology and UP's program had complete courses.

PS. Right now my cumulative gpa is 3.84 and i am doing great.. just goes to show our schools are up to standards :)

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

My bestfriend transferred in his 2nd yr in Ateneo to St.Johns in Queens and he graduated summa cum laude two years ago. His credits were transferred and everything. I was his graduation cruise date and his school even gave special praise to the quality of education in the Philippines because he was their 5th atenean transferee. Like i said, it may depend on the course but I dont think a university here would fully reject someone outright witout even looking at his credentials, no matter where he came from. Not saying that other people here are wrong, just trying to share my own positive experience :)

My Journey:

I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

I would not hand-carry transcripts. For WES, that is not allowed. It needs to be sealed by your school with a stamp and everything. :)

My Journey:

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Another thing I would like to add is that schools will most likely ask you to repeat everything because of many reasons:

1. They don't know what your course name means

2. They make more money that way! The more courses you take, the longer you are in school and the more tuition you pay

My advice is to bring with you, aside from a TOR, a course description from your school. Make sure each class has a description on what it covers. UP has a document like this, I'm not sure of other schools. I remember an incident when my current adviser almost made me take the undergraduate statistics class because he said he had not seen it on my transcript. I then told him that my MATH 1 class did tackle statistics, and showed him the course description. After that he just said that I was in the clear. So sometimes little things like that can affect your chances, and if you don't fight for it then you'll end up wasting time and money.. If you can get that document then grab it. Together with the WES you will have bigger chances of getting things transferred :)

My Journey:

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

While formality does not accept hand carried transcripts i think it wont hurt. It actually worked to my advantage when i was applying for financial aid. They wanted to see a high school transcript. I dont find anything wrong for just having a copy

Your friend has a differentcase from the op. the op attended some college but did not finish. She wants to go to college again. Your friend seem to have graduated.

It is the same for my cousin, she attended some college but had to go back to scratch in pharmacy.

By the way, it is bes to start in community colleges then work your transfer to uni

I FORGOT!

Check the RESIDENCY requirements of your state when enrolling in community colleges. Sometimes, it is wiser to wait a year before enrolling so that you could avail of in-state tuition.(out of state tuition are astronomical even in Community Colleges)

Not sure how it is in OK, but that's how it is here in CA. Just check.

Also, when you enroll, just try to apply for Financial aid, you might get some stipend but the most important thing is to get your tuition waived. Save your money to cover the books (which are astronomical too). Lucky if you get a grant.

Not sure if it will apply to you too but IMO, going to college will likely be your best way to get acquainted to US lifestyle over getting introduced to "Filipino communities" (who by large, especially the older ones can be 1-arrogant when it comes to fellow Filipinos 2-too intrusive in your personal life)

I had an old Filipina lady who asked me how long have I been here when I told her how, she was like "ay, masnauna kami dito"(ang yabang). Pasalamat siya di ko pinamukha sa kanya na pingananak na US citizen nanay ko. Sabi ko lang 10 years na nanay ko dito.

There is just something annoying in the way some Filipinos here in the US ask.

I think you will really enjoy community college here. They really rock. I'm currently at Allan Hancock in CA

Edited by Kang

Quite Off Topic:

But I wonder if OK have community classes programs? You might want to take a look if they have and take some classes like sewing, crafts, cooking, dancing, pottery... just in case there are residency requirements for college in your state. Great way to acquaint yourself to American lifestyle... :thumbs:

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I FORGOT!

Check the RESIDENCY requirements of your state when enrolling in community colleges. Sometimes, it is wiser to wait a year before enrolling so that you could avail of in-state tuition.(out of state tuition are astronomical even in Community Colleges)

Not sure how it is in OK, but that's how it is here in CA. Just check.

Also, when you enroll, just try to apply for Financial aid, you might get some stipend but the most important thing is to get your tuition waived. Save your money to cover the books (which are astronomical too). Lucky if you get a grant.

Not sure if it will apply to you too but IMO, going to college will likely be your best way to get acquainted to US lifestyle over getting introduced to "Filipino communities" (who by large, especially the older ones can be 1-arrogant when it comes to fellow Filipinos 2-too intrusive in your personal life)

I had an old Filipina lady who asked me how long have I been here when I told her how, she was like "ay, masnauna kami dito"(ang yabang). Pasalamat siya di ko pinamukha sa kanya na pingananak na US citizen nanay ko. Sabi ko lang 10 years na nanay ko dito.

There is just something annoying in the way some Filipinos here in the US ask.

I think you will really enjoy community college here. They really rock. I'm currently at Allan Hancock in CA

That has been the experience of many newly arrived Pinays/Pinoys. A Pinay that is married to a man that is not of the preferred racial group can get a double dose of arrogance and backbiting from those long established here.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.