NY Imam to Petition for Muhammad's Birthday as a National Holiday

20 members have voted

1. 1. Muhammad's Birthday as National Holiday

• Good idea.
    • Bad idea.
    • REALLY GOOD idea
    • REALLY BAD idea
    • One of the worst ideas I ever heard in my life
    • Where will it stop? A holiday for the Flying Spaghetti Monster?

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Isle of Man
Timeline

NY Imam to Petition for Muhammad's Birthday as a National Holiday

NEW YORK - A New York imam has declared that he will start a campaign on April 22 to make the April 26 birthday of the prophet Muhammad a national holiday celebrated by Muslims and people of other faiths.

Mohammad Abdul Qayyoom, head of the Muhammadi Community Center in Jackson Heights in the NYC borough of Queens, published a copy of the petition via the center's Facebook page to be signed by other religious leaders. The interfaith initiative asks for an establishment of April 26 as a federal holiday, "so that we can enjoy this day like the joy of Christmas."

"One good thing [about] this country are celebrations," Qayyoom told The Christian Post Wednesday. "We have many celebrations -- we have Christmas, we have the Valentine's Day, we have Halloween, we have many many traditions."

Muslims would like to have one day as a holiday in the United States, Qayyoom told CP. And that would be April 26. The date was proposed because it is the day historically recognized as the day the prophet Muhammad was born in 570 A.D., the imam said. The Muslim calendar, following the lunar calendar, makes celebrating most holidays (like Ramadan) tricky in relation to the regular calendar, as they are movable, therefore celebrating that historical date seems reasonable, he claimed in the statement.

Members of the Muhammadi Community Center have been considering this plan since the center was established in 2005, Qayyoom told CP. It is meant as an initiative that would unite the community and invite people of all faiths to celebrate together, he emphasized.

"Because Prophet Muhammad said, 'I am not the prophet of only Muslims. I am the prophet of all human beings,'" the imam told CP.

Qayyoom has also turned to local religious leaders, including the president of a local Jewish center and leaders of a local Catholic church, he said. The proposal will be addressed to local governemnt officials.

There are 11 federal holidays in the United States currently. Any constituent can theoretically suggest to any senator or representative that a new federal holiday be created and any member of Congress can introduce legislation that would do so.

The office of Democratic Rep. Joseph Crowley of the 7th District -- in which the Muhammadi Community Center is located -- confirmed with The Christian Post Wednesday that it is possible to initiate such a process by writing a proposal and sending it to the local congressman, either at the local office or in Washington D.C.

There are over 50,000 Muslims living in Queens county, according to some estimates.

Muhammadi Community Center is an institution involved with its community and hosts various open events, like the Free Legal Clinic for the Jackson Heights Community.

The official start of the campaign will be announced during a celebratory event at the Jackson Heights center on April 22, Qayyoom told CP.

http://global.christianpost.com/news/ny-imam-to-petition-for-muhammads-birthday-as-a-national-holiday-71028/

India, gun buyback and steamroll.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Besides the fact that it violates separation of church and state, all this could possibly do is fan the flames of tea-party hysteria! Maybe that is what he wants to do?

Timeline

Christmas?

Where in the bible is the reference to Santa Claus, Frosty, Rudolph, the Grinch, christmas trees, holly, mistletoe, etc? The church I grew up with tended to discourage celebrating Christmas by pointing out that not only are most of the modern customs decidedly of non-christian origin, biblical historians have come to a consensus that one time of year Jesus could not have been born is in late December! Calling it Christmas does not make it religious any more than any 'holiday' (Holy Day!) The celebration is as much pagan as christian but obviously quite secular as well.

The government did not 'establish' the widespread celebration of christmas. It did follow the established custom of the vast majority of the populace. As proposed, this holiday would be specifically established by the government totally apart from any widespread custom, specifically honoring a particular religion, and therefore would be an obvious direct violation of the constitution!

Timeline

I think a much better idea for the imam and his followers is to realize what christians did with 'christmas', that is, taking an already established pagan holiday, adding a few of their own features, and naming it as if they had originated it. They can celebrate Muhammad's birth at christmas along with all the other various stuff that has become part of the overall holiday. Jesus was not actually born then either so I am sure he will be cool with it!

Filed: Timeline

I think a much better idea for the imam and his followers is to realize what christians did with 'christmas', that is, taking an already established pagan holiday, adding a few of their own features, and naming it as if they had originated it. They can celebrate Muhammad's birth at christmas along with all the other various stuff that has become part of the overall holiday. Jesus was not actually born then either so I am sure he will be cool with it!

I wouldn't mind a second holiday season in late April. By that time we've been back to work for almost 4 months... it's a good time to take a break.

Filed: Timeline

I voted really bad idea but come to think of it: we can come up with all kinds of religions and basically make it so every day of the year is a holiday based on the birth of some imagined or real figure (doesn't really matter) of importance of each and every one of those religions. Everyone gets to spend the rest of their lives on beaches and in resorts drawing holiday pay. Not bad. Won't really work but we'll just believe, eh?

Timeline

I wouldn't mind a second holiday season in late April. By that time we've been back to work for almost 4 months... it's a good time to take a break.

March 8, International women's day!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Well, it ain't gonna happen this year, alas, if he's trying to get er done at the Federal Level.

He needs to involve the congressman more, help to draft the legislation for the congressman as well.

A carefully placed donation via the right PAC will move mountains,

so, lets see what happens..

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Well, it ain't gonna happen this year, alas, if he's trying to get er done at the Federal Level.

He needs to involve the congressman more, help to draft the legislation for the congressman as well.

A carefully placed donation via the right PAC will move mountains,

so, lets see what happens..

He should send the money to me! Lots of it!! I can guarantee to get results at least as good as anyone else on this. :devil::rofl:

This proposal has less than the proverbial snow-ball's chance in hell!