Radu & Mari

Applying for Naturalization

6 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

Hi all!

It's been a while since I written anything here. First of all I want to say what a wonderful website Visajourney is. It has been a lifesaver and a true blessing :thumbs: !! I don't know what I would of done had it none been for this website. I probably would of spend thousands of dollars to hire an attorney to bring my husband here. This has been very educational for me. Not only did I learn how to fill out the neccessary papers to bring my husband, but I also helped my previous employer bring back employers through H2B visas. The Lord blessed me to give me the knowledge to fill out papers and file them. I was able to do this because of what I learned here at VJ :wow: .

Now, my husband's journey is coming to an end. We are getting ready to fill out his application for his Naturalization (N400). We didn't know that we could off done this 2 years ago based on what I've read here but God only knows why it took us until now to do so. We are excited to start our new and final journey. I was just curious as to how long its taking for the whol process? Can anyone here enlight me? Also, is there any quicker way in doing the process. I know that in the past, I used some that were posted here.

Thank you all for continuing to post your history and letting members like me know what is going on before we get started in our journey.

Respectfully,

Mari (L)(F)

Radu & Mari

Applying for Citizenship

03-23-2012: Mailed N-400 Application to Texas Lockbox

04-02-2012 Recived NOA

Filed: IR-2 Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

Hi - before we applied, I looked through the "monthly" threads. I just glanced at a few again and the quickest I saw was a November filer who finished in less than 3 months. The longest I saw was someone who applied in May and just finished, so nearly 10 months. Average appears to be ~4 months. A lot is based on where your local office is - how backed up they are in scheduling interviews and how often the oath ceremony is held. For example, where my husband has to go for his oath ceremony, there are only dates ever 3 weeks or so. Some places have the ceremony the same day as the interview.

I don't think there are any shortcuts - are you thinking of all the NVC tricks back in the day? I do remember using some "trick" about the AOS bill... anyway I don't think there is anything to shorten here... just fill out the application and send the right documents/fee, then wait for the letters to come.

Since you are within the 90-day window of your husband's 5-year anniversary of being an LPR (since May, 2007 right?) he can apply without having to prove anything about your marriage. I read somewhere else that that simplifies the process. He's been legal here for five years, he is eligible to apply for citizenship. So maybe there was an advantage to waiting...

[i am the USC and the wife/stepmother]
The prelude - 2007
November 22 - Married in Bulgaria.
CR-1 - 2008
January 7 I-130 sent - APPROVED in 106 days.
Interview - APPROVED 175 days from NOA-1 date
ROC - 2010-2011
October 5 - I-751 sent APPROVED 111 days from NOA-1 date, no interview.
NATURALIZATION - 2012
APPROVED 79 days.
May 9 - Oath ceremony - in Oakland, CA.

*************Didn't have enough of the immigration process yet!! Starting again with 16-year-old (step)son****************
IR-2 - 2012-2013
---USCIS---
Nov 15 - I-130 sent. NOA-1 received from MSC.
Jan 22 - APPROVED 65 days from NOA-1. Never transferred to field office.
---NVC---
Feb 4 - received @ NVC
Feb 26 - Got NVC Case # and Invoice ID #
----------------------------------slowing down the process a little... stepson can't come till nearly July-----------------------------
March 19 - Sent e-mail Choice of Agent, without scan of DS-3032. Paid AOS fee ($88).
April 1 - Choice of Agent information accepted (10th "working day" to accept).
April 3 - IV invoice appeared. Paid IV fee ($230).
April 11 - Sent IV package and AOS package TOGETHER. Confirmed delivery April 15.

April 26 - Case Complete (10th working day)

May 14 - Interview date assigned (12th working day)

June 5 - Interview in Sofia - VISA GRANTED!!!

June 16 - POE @ SFO. No problems. He's a citizen now!

Oct 4 - US Passport received. (SS card received some time in the summer; had to go to SSA office to obtain)

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Hi - before we applied, I looked through the "monthly" threads. I just glanced at a few again and the quickest I saw was a November filer who finished in less than 3 months. The longest I saw was someone who applied in May and just finished, so nearly 10 months. Average appears to be ~4 months. A lot is based on where your local office is - how backed up they are in scheduling interviews and how often the oath ceremony is held. For example, where my husband has to go for his oath ceremony, there are only dates ever 3 weeks or so. Some places have the ceremony the same day as the interview.

I don't think there are any shortcuts - are you thinking of all the NVC tricks back in the day? I do remember using some "trick" about the AOS bill... anyway I don't think there is anything to shorten here... just fill out the application and send the right documents/fee, then wait for the letters to come.

Since you are within the 90-day window of your husband's 5-year anniversary of being an LPR (since May, 2007 right?) he can apply without having to prove anything about your marriage. I read somewhere else that that simplifies the process. He's been legal here for five years, he is eligible to apply for citizenship. So maybe there was an advantage to waiting...

Thank you so much for your responses, as they are always so helpful. I guess it great that we waited for his 5-year anniversary as it sounds like it will be quite a smooth transition. I do have one more question. Filling out the application I noticed on the instructions that "Only if required, send copies of the following documents (the USCIS will request orignals if needed)", should I since I am the US citizen send in my Birth Certificate, Termination of previous marriage, and tax return? I don't want to send more than what I need but at the same time, I don't want to delay the process anymore than it has to. Please advice and thank you once again.

Mari

Radu & Mari

Applying for Citizenship

04-02-2012 Recived NOA

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

Thank you so much for your responses, as they are always so helpful. I guess it great that we waited for his 5-year anniversary as it sounds like it will be quite a smooth transition. I do have one more question. Filling out the application I noticed on the instructions that "Only if required, send copies of the following documents (the USCIS will request orignals if needed)", should I since I am the US citizen send in my Birth Certificate, Termination of previous marriage, and tax return? I don't want to send more than what I need but at the same time, I don't want to delay the process anymore than it has to. Please advice and thank you once again.

Mari

That's the beauty of waiting until he is eligible based on 5 years presence, you are pretty much irrelavent to the process. No need for copies of marriage certificate, birth certificates, tax forms, etc.

My wife filed in January, passed her Interview this Monday, and is scheduled for the oath on April 12th. Her application packet included the N-400 form, front/back copies of her green card, passport style photos, and a check for fees. That was it!

Timeline

That's the beauty of waiting until he is eligible based on 5 years presence, you are pretty much irrelavent to the process. No need for copies of marriage certificate, birth certificates, tax forms, etc.

My wife filed in January, passed her Interview this Monday, and is scheduled for the oath on April 12th. Her application packet included the N-400 form, front/back copies of her green card, passport style photos, and a check for fees. That was it!

Fantastic news and congratulation to you both!! :thumbs: Ok then, it's going out tomorrow just as it is, application, front/back copy of the green card, passport photos and the check. I hope we are as fortunate as you and your wife were :D Thank you for your input.

Mari

Radu & Mari

Applying for Citizenship

04-02-2012 Recived NOA

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.