MarieAnastasia

CANADIAN THANKSGIVING

29 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I did not even realize it was now. I might do Thanksgiving ....we have a turkey in the deep freeze just waiting for an occasion.

WHAT!!!!!!?????? I hope you haven't forgotten your Canadian roots!!!) :( That's a no-no for me..........I can't get enough Canadian, I am so homesick that I can't imagine any place else (and I only live an hour and a half away from the Canadian border....if hubby was off work, we'd drive to New Brunswick just to be in Canada for a Thanksgiving dinner even if it is at a restaurant :innocent: ) but that's the downside of falling in love with a foreigner or as we're called an 'alien' and I love him more every day (L) .......... :P HAPPY THANKSGIVING to you and yours....{{{{{HUGS}}}}}

“For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul.” JMAC

June 25, 2004 - Bruce & I met through mutual friends in my hometown in Newfoundland the night before he was going back to Maine

July 1 - First email between us

July 3 - I called him to wish him a Happy Independance Day

Daily phone calls and emails from there on in

October 20 - Bruce drove back to Newfoundland. He planned on staying a week but it ended up being 3 weeks. We knew for a fact we were in love!

March 19/05 - Bruce back in Newfoundland

April 8 - Bruce picked me up in North Sydney, NS and we drove to Maine. I stayed for a week due to work

July 26 - Bruce back to Newfoundland for another 3 weeks. I can't bear to see him leave.

August 10 - He asked me to marry him.........I had already asked him anyway just to make sure*_*

September 30 - I flew to Boston to meet Bruce there and then we drove back to Maine for 2 weeks

November 18 - We filed I-129F

December 1 - NOA Receipt #

December 28 - Received Packet 3

January 6/06 - Received my Police Certificate of Conduct

January 11 - Sent DS-230 Part 1 back to Montreal Consulate

February 3 - Sent off my check list to Montreal Consulate

March 24 - Medical

April 5 - Interview Date.....APPROVED......Yahoo

April 17 - Moving to Maine

May 16 - Bruce & I became Mr. & Mrs. in Las Vegas (Oh HAPPY DAY)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband and I are driving from Baltimore to Rhode Island, and my parents are driving from Montreal to Rhode Island and we're all meeting up tomorrow evening at 6pm and we're going to stay with my relatives in Rhode Island for a family Thanksgiving :) My relatives in Rhode Island did the same thing I am doing now, only back in the early 70's.. they left Montreal because they were in love with American boys in Rhode Island, only their immigration process was MUCH EASIER BACK THEN lol so anyways, my husband gets to meet my American/Canadian family for the first time and see my parents again and my brother and I can't WAIT! We're both so excited, we don't even care that it's going to take 6 hours to get there.

YAY :) Happy Thanksgiving to you all :)

I-485 AOS Filing (shortened timeline):

08/25/06 - WEDDING DAY <3

09/14/06 - Medical

09/18/06 - Mailed AOS

10/04/06 - RFE request I-485

10/11/06 - RFE response rec'd by USCIS

10/12/06 - BIOMETRICS done!

11/18/06 - Interview Notice in mail (Day 60)

12/26/06 - *TOUCH* I-765, EAD approval notice sent (Day 98)

12/29/06 - Received EAD, applied for SSN (Day 101)

01/03/07 - *TOUCH* I-130, I-485, I-765 received EAD (Day 106)

01/10/07 - INTERVIEW 9:45am Baltimore! Recommended for approval (Day 113)

05/08/07 - APPROVAL NOTICE & WELCOME TO USA LETTER SENT! (Day 231)

05/14/07 - Received I-130 approval & welcome letter (Day 237)

05/15/07 - Green card ordered (Day 238)

I-751 Filing:

02/06/09 - Mailed I-751! (Day 1)

02/09/09 - I-751 Delivered to Vermont (Day 4)

02/13/09 - NOA 1 (Day 8)

03/06/09 - BIOMETRICS (Day 29)

03/09/09 - *TOUCH* (Day 32)

06/26/09 - 10 year green card APPROVED! (Day 141)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We almost drove up to Middletown RI this weekend!! Instead they are coming this way heading to Florida, lol. Wife and I may still head to RI for the USA thanksgiving and just chill!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

I'm so excited about my Thanksgiving plans: To start, my fiancé (who gets Columbus Day off) is coming up to visit and we're going to my dad's for the weekend (including a buffet lunch with at my aunt's and then a turkey dinner at his place on Sunday - yum yum!). Then, the best part, we're activating my K-1 visa on Monday and I'm driving home with my fiancé!!! Yay! :dance:

K-1 Visa (176 days)

18 Apr 2006 - NOA1

Lost case file, congressman intervention...

4 Oct 2006 - Interview Day! Approved!

AOS/EAD/AP

23 Jan 2007 - NOA for EAD & AOS

2 Feb 2007 - NOA for AP

Wrong A# printed on my visa, find out I have 2 A#s (both different from # on visa), case sent to storage before green card was made...

29 Dec 2007 - Green Card Received!

K-1 Visa Part II (uh oh)

30 Aug 2008 - Second Packet 3 received (umm?)

12 Feb 2009 - Montreal requests copy of green card to close file (sent)

24 Apr 2009 - CRIS notice saying my case is being reviewed. (eek!?)

I-751 (141 days)

4 Sep 2009 - Documents mailed to VSC

9 Sep 2009 - Documents stamped received at VSC

14 Sep 2009 - NOA received

23 Sep 2009 - Biometrics letter received

15 Oct 2009 - Biometrics appointment

13 Jan 2010 - Card Production Ordered!

22 Jan 2010 - New Green Card Received!

i'll be watching hockey games (got my NHL centre ice package today! :dance: ) and eating pumpkin pie.

i'll miss seeing my family, although i've not been away all that long, but i'll not miss the turkey roll and stove top stuffing. it was my sister's turn to have dinner & that's what we got the last time! LOL

happy turkey weekend everyone

k

I was looking into NHL Center Ice ... I am a major Vancouver Canucks fan and I heard that they have alot of their games on it ... Only problem is living in Illinois I would be 2 hours ahead on home games so might be some late nights :)

i'm just a plain old fan of hockey, with no favourite team. i'll watch anything. during lockout i was at a junior game and or the marlies every week and if i wasn't there, i was watching it on tv. i used to work in the industry so depending who i like more on one team is the one i'll root for on a particular night. it's hard some games so then i just hope the guys i like get points.

k

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I'm so excited about my Thanksgiving plans: To start, my fiancé (who gets Columbus Day off) is coming up to visit and we're going to my dad's for the weekend (including a buffet lunch with at my aunt's and then a turkey dinner at his place on Sunday - yum yum!). Then, the best part, we're activating my K-1 visa on Monday and I'm driving home with my fiancé!!! Yay! :dance:

Well, what a lovely way to celebrate Thanksgiving! How perfectly appropriate:-). I hope you have a wonderful weekend and an absolutely flawless border crossing on Monday.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Other Timeline

Well, hubby and I are going to Pagan Pride in Asheville on Saturday (its not thanksgiving, but more of a harvest ritual, which is basically the same thing :P )

And then on Sunday I may just bbq myself a turkey breast. James doesn't eat bird of any kind, so its aaaaaaaalllllllll for me :D I have to work, and I'm not eligible for vacatoin time til November 1st, so I'm trying to find out if I can take a week of during American thanksgiving so I can go home to visit. That way I'll have the holiday and with my 3 days vacation, plus my birthday holiday they didn't let me take at my birthday, I'll have a whole week. I wanna go home to see the show Wicked, playing in TO only until November 26th.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

I guess I will have 3 thanksgiving dinners this year, just what my butt needs!! lol

Tomorrow night, Tday with my husband's family

Monday, another Tday with friends

Next month, we'll do my US Tday

Lots o' turkey sandwiches I hope! I also like to do turkey enchiladas every year with leftover t meat mmmmmmm

Married 12-30-05

Started our visa journey Jan 06.

01-06 - I-130, K3 shortly after

04-06 - switched to Canada Immigration

07-06 - Moved to Canada (PR almost complete)

07-06 - Changed again, back to US imm.

09-06 - Landed as Canadian PR

10-06 - DCF Toronto, Approved in 1.5 hrs!

11-06 - Interview Montreal (success!)

I-130

10-05-06 DCF in Toronto - Approved

10-19-06 Packet 3 received & sent back

10-20-06 Montreal receives P3

11-03-06 Packet 4 received

11-06-06 Medical

11-22-06 Interview / Visa approved

11-26-06 heading home, 6 day drive, my oh my

HOME SWEET HOME

10.24.08 - Mailed I-751 to CSC

Delivered at 9:03 AM on October 25, 2008

10.29.08 NOA1

10.30.08 Check cashed

12.06.08 Biometrics Appt.

12.19.08 Received new Drivers License extended to 2011

03.12.09 Received CONGRATULATIONS letter - Card on the way!!

03.20.09 Received his SHINY new card. WOO HOOOOOOO

YAY!! We can take a break from this madness until Citizenship.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

It'll be my last Thanksgiving dinner at home in Canada before heading to the States (pending visa approval the week after of course).... if all goes well I'll be celebrating Thanksgiving in the States next month with my husband-to-be :) Two Thanksgivings = lotsa lotsa turkey.... "gobble, gobble!!" Hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving Holiday!!!

canadaflag1ye.gif & usflag6lq.gif

couple2ck1mf.jpg

10/13/2006 - Received K1 Visa

01/12/2007 - We're Married!

02/21/2007 - AOS & EAD filed

02/28/2007 - NOA Date

03/08/2007 - Request For Initial Evidence Received (Case Suspended)

03/17/2007 - Biometrics Appointment

03/25/2007 - Requested evidence sent to USCIS

04/09/2007 - Touched (Evidence received - Case Resumed)

05/02/2007 - Touched (Case has been sent to California Service Center for processing)

05/23/2007 - EAD approved, card received by mail

05/26/2007 - Touched (Case is now pending at the office to which it was transferred)

06/11/2007 - Request For Additional Evidence received (Case Suspended)

08/27/2007 - Request evidence sent to USCIS

09/07/2007 - Touched (Evidence received - Case Resumed)

10/11/2007 - Touched (Current Status: Card production ordered)

10/11/2007 - Touched (Current Status: Notice mailed welcoming the new permanent resident) YAY!

10/15/2007 - Received Welcome Letter via mail

10/22/2007 - Received 2-year Conditional Greencard :-)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanksgiving has always been a weird holiday for us dual citizens. It seems to come too early if you're in Canada. And no one there wants to roast a bird in November. Confusing.

But it IS the holiday of the harvest, which comes earlier in the north, and I hear it's been chilly in Toronto, going down to near freezing. Here in Jersey, it's a lot milder, and will stay pleasant for another month.

So here I am in northern New Jersey, by myself, and working on Monday. Maybe I'll go to Dunkin Donuts to see if they have a turkey favoured muffin. They seem to have everything else!

I-130 sent Mar 30, 06

approved Aug 15, 06

I-129f sent April 24, 06

approved July 27, 06

Montreal interview Jan 18, 07

POE Toronto Jan 28, 07

EAD sent Jan. 30, 07

transferred to Vermont Feb 12

biometrics Feb 22

approved March 13

card returned undeliverable! March 27

called after 6 weeks to have EAD re-sent

AOS sent Jan. 30, 07

biometrics Feb 22

RFE for complete medical (!) Feb 23

Called Senator from NJ - never returned call

Infopass March 19 (no help)

Replied to RFE with duplicate medical March 19

Sent additional evidence (I-693A) March 26

NBC received supplement March 30

touched April 4

Interview July 16

Maybe I'll go to Dunkin Donuts to see if they have a turkey favoured muffin.

:lol:

Married 12-30-05

Started our visa journey Jan 06.

01-06 - I-130, K3 shortly after

04-06 - switched to Canada Immigration

07-06 - Moved to Canada (PR almost complete)

07-06 - Changed again, back to US imm.

09-06 - Landed as Canadian PR

10-06 - DCF Toronto, Approved in 1.5 hrs!

11-06 - Interview Montreal (success!)

I-130

10-05-06 DCF in Toronto - Approved

10-19-06 Packet 3 received & sent back

10-20-06 Montreal receives P3

11-03-06 Packet 4 received

11-06-06 Medical

11-22-06 Interview / Visa approved

11-26-06 heading home, 6 day drive, my oh my

HOME SWEET HOME

10.24.08 - Mailed I-751 to CSC

Delivered at 9:03 AM on October 25, 2008

10.29.08 NOA1

10.30.08 Check cashed

12.06.08 Biometrics Appt.

12.19.08 Received new Drivers License extended to 2011

03.12.09 Received CONGRATULATIONS letter - Card on the way!!

03.20.09 Received his SHINY new card. WOO HOOOOOOO

YAY!! We can take a break from this madness until Citizenship.

Well, we carried a chicken-leg ("drumstick" -- because we're both from South India originally, I avoid using this term) curry for our journey and consumed some of it with chapatis for breakfast; the rest, with pilaf will be dinner. :lol:

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Doing a compromise here - instead of turkey making a roast chicken with sage stuffing, baked squash with a cinnamon, butter and honey sauce, scalloped potatoes and a green vegetable with peach pie for desert. Talked with my brother and his family in Stittsville today - just missed my Dad, he was driving back to Kingston - and just enjoying a beautifully sunshiney day. The first leaves are beginning to hint at changing colour here - some yellows and orange highlights among the abundant green. Yep, fall is coming - even if it is still in the 80s outside. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Other Timeline

My Mum emailed me after her feast with sister and her family. She said it was a lovely 22C up near TO yesterday, while I was out grilling my turkey in the drizzle and blah :P

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.